Author Topic: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65  (Read 568673 times)

Offline thecyangiant

Re: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65
« Reply #1100 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:21:13 »
My key65 was just delivered!
Some initial opening pictures

Show Image

https://m.imgur.com/a/ouzyDO9

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It looks great! Thanks for sharing photos.
I'm impressed you built it already! How is the default keymap?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #1101 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:30:40 »
For those that received theirs, did you all get a tracking number?  I paid for my shipping a while ago but never got a tracking number.

PS: for everyone that did get theirs: WOW!  All of them look amazing!

Offline achan7942

[GB] Fox Lab - Key 65
« Reply #1102 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:33:01 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Did you end up using the rubber sheet in between the PCB and plate? What purpose would the rubber sheet serve?
I did not use it...didn’t see a point and I’ve never used one before. Maybe someone else can chip in on it’s benefits.

And yes it did come with gloves and the key map is pretty basic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #1103 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:36:24 »
another thing: that new fox labs logo is slick

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1104 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:05:00 »
Still no shipping invoice here :'(
Same with me. I got address confirmation on 24th.

Congrats to those already got their boards!

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1105 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:11:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Did you end up using the rubber sheet in between the PCB and plate? What purpose would the rubber sheet serve?
I did not use it...didn’t see a point and I’ve never used one before. Maybe someone else can chip in on it’s benefits.

And yes it did come with gloves and the key map is pretty basic.

Can you send the keymap file and link?

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #1106 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:27:22 »
$69 shipping to Poland. Oof. Now the wait begins.

Loving the pics. Keep them coming. What do you do with the alcohol pads? Are you supposed to disinfect the board with them?
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1107 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:31:54 »
$69 shipping to Poland. Oof. Now the wait begins.

Loving the pics. Keep them coming. What do you do with the alcohol pads? Are you supposed to disinfect the board with them?
It takes more than a week before it reaches us from shipper. So I guess no need to disinfect it.  Just throw the outer box once it arrived.

Those might be for cleaning the pcb after soldering.

Offline olsen34

« Reply #1108 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:49:09 »
Heads up to anyone else who emailed to change their shipping address that mine was not changed to the one I gave even though I got a confirmation email back.

Are you saying even though the confirmation email had stated your new address they still shipped to your old one?

This is worrisome... My old address is in another country. I really hope he got it correct.

Offline edctog

« Reply #1109 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 20:54:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It serve as a sound dampener and to reduce case ping further in a thin metal case like the Alu one. It's not an issue with a PC case and PC plate. If you're going use silent switches, this is a must.

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1110 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:44:53 »
Took me a while to add my millmax sockets, but this board is amazing.
Sounds great too.

Only need the firmware now since I'm so used to having my Ctrl on Caps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Cujo96

« Reply #1111 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:50:28 »
Well, it arrived. Can't build it because I'm waiting on switches.
Board seems to be pretty well built, no visible scratches on anything.

Offline Mechalomania

« Reply #1112 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:12:45 »
In the build guide (https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/20633), the stab wire for the enter key is facing upward.  I'm assuming this is the solder version of the PCB in the guide.  My partner got the hotswap version and the wire is oriented the downwards, but the foam doesn't account for this.  We had to cut the notch in order for it to fit well, otherwise the wire and foam would get in each other's way.

Question for those with the hotswap version (and maybe solder version is the same).  I'm hoping that this is a issue that will be resolved with the QMK file, but does the key above the right arrow do anything out of the box?  It doesn't register anything on switch hitter for us.  I noticed that some keys were also switched around (~ is keyed to ESC, while home is keyed to ~), so I'm hoping that the lack of an action is just a flashing issue and not a busted hotswap socket as there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with it.

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1113 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:21:04 »
In the build guide (https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/20633), the stab wire for the enter key is facing upward.  I'm assuming this is the solder version of the PCB in the guide.  My partner got the hotswap version and the wire is oriented the downwards, but the foam doesn't account for this.  We had to cut the notch in order for it to fit well, otherwise the wire and foam would get in each other's way.

Question for those with the hotswap version (and maybe solder version is the same).  I'm hoping that this is a issue that will be resolved with the QMK file, but does the key above the right arrow do anything out of the box?  It doesn't register anything on switch hitter for us.  I noticed that some keys were also switched around (~ is keyed to ESC, while home is keyed to ~), so I'm hoping that the lack of an action is just a flashing issue and not a busted hotswap socket as there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with it.

I am using the solder version.
The key above the right arrow is mapped to pgdn on mine. Which position on the board are the other keys? My esc is the top left key and top right is del.
Also it seems like it's not running QMK right now since I don't see QMK Toolbox list anything when I plug it in, but my other boards do.

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #1114 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:31:09 »

Typing test! This thing sounds amazing  :thumb:

FYI I had to add foam under the pcb to stop it from shorting. Other than that, smooth build.

Offline matrixzj

« Reply #1115 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:36:53 »

Yes, for hotswap version, wire for 'enter' stab is in the opposite direction with soldering version.

For keys in the most right column, it can be programmed via QMK, which is posted in the first page.
Discord:Matrix#6203

HHKB Fanatics

SA/GMK Keycaps Info

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #1116 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:44:23 »
https://imgur.com/a/eJ38oCT

Black w/gold badge, WKL Blocker, 7u spacebar, hotswap and solder-able PCBs, titanium and brass plates.  Potato pics fresh from my low light bedroom.

Packed extremely well and looks good in low light.  I'll have a look when light is better.  Also, nice that 1 set of what I assume is plate foam was included.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline thecheeselouise

« Reply #1117 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:08:55 »
What kind of screws are those on the bottom holding the board together? Hex?

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1118 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:14:33 »
Senter finally added the hex files. I hope soon it will be compatible with VIA like the Leaf60.

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1119 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:16:20 »
Senter finally added the hex files. I hope soon it will be compatible with VIA like the Leaf60.

Same, I'll try to add VIA support manually once it's on qmk.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #1120 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:19:32 »
What kind of screws are those on the bottom holding the board together? Hex?

Forum ate my post.  I believe they are hex, but I didnt check closely.  Sorry for potato pics.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline olsen34

« Reply #1121 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:19:57 »

FYI I had to add foam under the pcb to stop it from shorting. Other than that, smooth build.

This is what I'm afraid of. Why is esd protection not a standard in custom keyboards??

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1122 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 01:27:17 »
Decided to just bite the bullet and port this to VIA myself.
Looks like it's working well for my really sloppy job.

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1123 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 01:43:35 »
Please do share the tutorial

Offline Ipse

« Reply #1124 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 05:00:08 »
Heads up to anyone else who emailed to change their shipping address that mine was not changed to the one I gave even though I got a confirmation email back.

Are you saying even though the confirmation email had stated your new address they still shipped to your old one?

This is worrisome... My old address is in another country. I really hope he got it correct.
I recieved mine after getting my address changed, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #1125 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 05:01:14 »
Show Image

Show Image

Don't think it really needs any words.

Wow that looks absolutely incredible! Great combo dude and nice work Fox Lab

Offline Solotov

« Reply #1126 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 05:03:11 »

Hmm, how did that happen? It's an alu full plate, right?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline dommyy13

« Reply #1127 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 05:27:00 »
So first a couple of pics, don’t mind the key caps, they’re temporary until I get some nicer group buy ones delivered... 

Board looks amazing, I love it.  However, I didn’t put in the dampening thing since it’s PC (in reality I actually forgot til after I finished soldering but decided it’s okay since it’s PC), and now the keyboard doesn’t work.  Tested it right after soldering and was fine, so I’m guessing like someone said above it’s because I didn’t use the sound dampener.  So now I have to desolder anyways  :)

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #1128 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:08:06 »
So first a couple of pics, don’t mind the key caps, they’re temporary until I get some nicer group buy ones delivered... 

Board looks amazing, I love it.  However, I didn’t put in the dampening thing since it’s PC (in reality I actually forgot til after I finished soldering but decided it’s okay since it’s PC), and now the keyboard doesn’t work.  Tested it right after soldering and was fine, so I’m guessing like someone said above it’s because I didn’t use the sound dampener.  So now I have to desolder anyways  :)

Wait what??!!!!
So it was tested right after soldering, before you put it inside the case? And it worked?

But after you fully assembled it doesnt work???

Can you please elaborate with more details?

Offline dommyy13

« Reply #1129 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:32:18 »

Wait what??!!!!
So it was tested right after soldering, before you put it inside the case? And it worked?

Not sure what exactly is wrong, maybe a bad soldering job or something?  I'm gonna desolder and use the include rubber gasket between the pcb and the plate and see if that fixes the issue.  The keyboard works when I first plug it in, but if I press to hard in the center area, it will stop responding.  But every key was working fine when I tested it after soldering.

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1130 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:41:14 »

Wait what??!!!!

Not sure what exactly is wrong, maybe a bad soldering job or something?  I'm gonna desolder and use the include rubber gasket between the pcb and the plate and see if that fixes the issue.  The keyboard works when I first plug it in, but if I press to hard in the center area, it will stop responding.  But every key was working fine when I tested it after soldering.

It is because of the reset button at the back of PCB. It touches the back case. I read in zfrontier, they suggest to clip it or desolder the button.

Offline achan7942

« Reply #1131 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:21:09 »

Wait what??!!!!

It is because of the reset button at the back of PCB. It touches the back case. I read in zfrontier, they suggest to clip it or desolder the button.

interesting, mine is working fine... and the reset button def is not touching the back case, maybe gaskets under the pcb are missing? shuld bring the pcb up higher.

Offline matrixzj

« Reply #1132 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:27:32 »

Wait what??!!!!

Please try to clip WHITE part of 'reset' key as show in this pic

Since pcb is very close to bottom and too high of 'reset' key, 'reset' button will be pressed in some scenarios, such as occurred with you.
Discord:Matrix#6203

HHKB Fanatics

SA/GMK Keycaps Info

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #1133 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:30:44 »

interesting, mine is working fine... and the reset button def is not touching the back case, maybe gaskets under the pcb are missing? shuld bring the pcb up higher.

Did yours come with gaskets? Did you use them? If yes, did they alter the alignment of the USB port on the PCB with the case?

Offline achan7942

« Reply #1134 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:35:19 »

Did yours come with gaskets? Did you use them? If yes, did they alter the alignment of the USB port on the PCB with the case?

it should come with gaskets...and i did use them. It does move the usb port up, but it is still perfectly accessible .
Also, i took a look at my spare pcb and it seems the reset button is already pre-clipped.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:37:20 by achan7942 »

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1135 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:46:00 »

After uploading the json to the keyboard firmware builder, download the source code.

I just stuck that into a cloned directory of qmk_firmware and compiled it.

Then just follow any of MechMerlin's port tutorials on YouTube and you should get VIA working.

This is of course just a temporary solution until it gets officially ported to VIA.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #1136 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:50:15 »

it should come with gaskets...and i did use them. It does move the usb port up, but it is still perfectly accessible .
Also, i took a look at my spare pcb and it seems the reset button is already pre-clipped.

Great to know, thanks so much! I'll be sure to post photos of the PCB/reset switch when I receive it.
I am curious whether I will be able to run led strips on the PCB given how tight the clearance is.

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1137 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:50:42 »

After uploading the json to the keyboard firmware builder, download the source code.

I just stuck that into a cloned directory of qmk_firmware and compiled it.

Then just follow any of MechMerlin's port tutorials on YouTube and you should get VIA working.

This is of course just a temporary solution until it gets officially ported to VIA.

Thanks! I will check it. But for now, I am sitting here still waiting for shipping invoice haha!

Offline Mechalomania

« Reply #1138 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:26:09 »
The key above the right arrow is mapped to pgdn on mine. Which position on the board are the other keys? My esc is the top left key and top right is del.
Also it seems like it's not running QMK right now since I don't see QMK Toolbox list anything when I plug it in, but my other boards do.

From top right descending, it goes:
`; page up; page down; *nothing*; right arrow

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1139 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:35:05 »

Try flashing the firmware senter uploaded to the first post.
You can also upload the json the firmware builder site and map your own layout.

Offline achan7942

« Reply #1140 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:36:55 »

The *nothing* is the fn key

Offline Mechalomania

« Reply #1141 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:47:47 »
Whelp, I'm a dummy.  Thanks everyone, it works!

Offline dommyy13

« Reply #1142 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:59:58 »
my reset key came preclipped, and it's still resetting when I press too hard, so I guess I'll have to desolder it..  Not really sure how to do that with the reset button, do I just get the solder off and pull it off?

Offline Riskymilk

« Reply #1143 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 10:03:35 »
Anyone with a poly plate get theirs yet? I’m curious if there were any build issues and how it sounds. Hopefully mine arrives soon

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #1144 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 10:15:01 »
Hmm, how did that happen? It's an alu full plate, right?

Yeah full alu plate. I'm assuming one of my switch legs in the middle of the board was touching the bottom of the case, but can't be certain. The foam did fix it.

With all of the gaskets installed, you really do have to screw this thing together tight, so it might be the gaskets forcing things closer together?

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #1145 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 10:20:22 »
Do these PCBs have a keycode to enter bootmapper/reset mode?  I dont want to desolder the reset button only to find out that there isn't a way to flash the board going forward.

Offline achan7942

« Reply #1146 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 10:23:17 »
Do these PCBs have a keycode to enter bootmapper/reset mode?  I dont want to desolder the reset button only to find out that there isn't a way to flash the board going forward.
try fn + esc

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #1147 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 12:26:13 »
just received my invoice!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #1148 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 12:32:29 »
Just got my shipping invoice! Very excited :)

Offline Felt

« Reply #1149 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 12:33:34 »
Just paid my invoice hypeeeeee