Author Topic: "bump" difference between clears and browns?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline domin8r

"bump" difference between clears and browns?
« on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 03:26:57 »
A few weeks ago I modded a cherry board to Panda Clears.. Took a few days to get used to it but now I love the sh*t out of them!
Like the board even better than my Model M and other clicky boards (hadn't expected that).

But now I was wondering if I would like browns too.. especially for a work enviroment they might work for me (and work might not like me modding a new board to clears)

So let's say the tactile bump is 100% on clears, how much is the bump on browns?
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 05:52:58 »
33% extremely subjective and non scientific or much thought given answer.

It's there, but in normal use you will likely miss it.
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline domin8r

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 06:16:44 »
Quote from: Ekaros;416423

Seems a good answer to me :)
33% is definitely not enough..

More answers are still welcome.
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 06:44:52 »
i don't know how to answer that, just that i've used browns for a year and just modded a kinesis with ergo clears and prefer the clears more. subjectively i'll say the browns are even more than 33% this i think depends on the type of browns you have, if you have new browns they might actually kinda feel like clears, you can test this by using a key almost no one uses like scroll lock and pressing a regular letter key.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 08:21:13 »
I haven't used browns in a while but I don't recall noticing the bump. Should probably get another brown board at some point.

Offline siouxscout

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 09:51:34 »
Feels the same to me when typing on my board with clears and browns.

Im not sure if the springs are the same though havent looked at them side by side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline N8N

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 15:48:16 »
I have an almost-brand-new Noppoo w/ browns, and a Filco in which I put some used clears from a Cherry POS board.  I also have a POS board w/ browns.  the bump does seem to be less noticeable as the switches wear, as I find there to be a noticeable difference between the Noppoo and the Cherry browns POS board.  That said, the clears still have a noticeably more distinct bump, even though they're used.  Compared to the brand new browns though, I would say that the browns are something like 60-70%, so I like the clears better, even disregarding that I prefer the stiffer springs as well.

I've never had the opportunity to try brand new clears, although I'm wondering if perhaps I shouldn't have just sucked it up and spent the money to buy them rather than swapping in used switches.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 23:56:28 »
Quote from: Ekaros;416423

Maybe I have sensitive fingers, but I feel the "bump" easily every time I press the key. It's not huge, but I like it.

Offline domin8r

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 03:48:30 »
Hmm.. I get the feeling it's really a personal thing how much you notice the bump! :)

Guess it also depends on if you go back and forth between keyboards.. Using the clears at home and Model M at work it takes some time to re-adjust to the clears when I get home.
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:04:58 »
To be honest the tactile bump on browns is more pronounced on the way back up.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:10:56 »
I didn't take Clears for an extended testing period, but the first impressions was that due to the stiffer spring the tactile bump is not that noticeable. When I tried it with Brown spring (ergo clear), the tactile bump looked enormous!
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline Magna224

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 20:46:02 »
I would say it 'feels' 60% to me. To me its not enough though I need that ALPS bump. Its my favorite cherry switch though and my friends agree!(they hate the browns)
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 03:01:36 »
Now writing on clears, The feel is different, Clear's bumb, is so huge basicly I just stop pressing key there sometimes, just cause of bumb not training.
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 03:51:33 »
yea that's why i like clears, with browns i'd always have it in the back of my mind, if i feel a slight bump, stop and release..., like a whisper, but with clears it's like WTH dawg!!! release that shizzz now! i dunno why my ergo clears have taken the personality of xzibit maybe i was thinking of ghetto reds.

Offline Shaikoten

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 07:40:31 »
It's definitely less the bump and more the stiffness of the springs between the two. I've just picked up my first browns, coming from clears on a POS board, and I have to say that to me the bump is slightly easier to detect just because of the less aggressive spring. With the clears I felt like I had to fight them and pound them, and consequentially, I always tended to bottom them out, whereas I don't bottom out the browns because the lesser actuation force makes it easier for me to press down and let go in a quicker fashion.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:16:17 »
I have a brand new Filco Majestouch 2 in Browns. The bump is not noticeable on the keys when you press down quick. When you press slow, you can feel it but it's not a very hard bump, Maybe I would prefer Clears but this is a fun keyboard to type on. That's coming from Buckling Springs.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 14:50:48 »
The bump is certainly not as prominent as it is on my Unicomp, both in terms of feel and sound.

I just tried pressing them quick ly, and will admit that the bump seems less prominent in that case. It's hard to not bottom out when I do that, though.