Author Topic: "Ergo-white"?  (Read 4153 times)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
"Ergo-white"?
« on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 20:59:40 »
I've been intrigued by the MX white switch since I got one in the original Phantom sampler.  It appears to use the same spring as the MX Black/Green, which makes it too stiff for me.  I just finished building a Poker using white stems and blue/brown springs.  I generally find the click of the blue/green switch annoying, but the softer click of the white stem makes them much more enjoyable for typing.  I still don't care much for the disjoint feel of the reset point, but other than that I am liking them.

I couldn't not find any dimensional difference between the white stem with its black slider and the blue/green stem with the clear slider.  They seemed to be of the same materials, as far as I can tell.  What I did see was a bit of grease on the black slider channel.  This must be what dampens the slider movement, subduing the click.

Russ

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
Re: "Ergo-white"?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 21:14:16 »
Ripster had a picture that showed the difference but I cant find it

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 21:53:41 »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 21:57:17 »
That's doesn't really show any useful detail that I can see.
Russ

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:03:33 »
There's something that causes the slider to not go full stroke if I remember properly.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:12:31 »
That had been my assumption.  However, I don't see any difference in any dimension of the stem or the slider.  That includes the length of the rails, the guides on the stem, etc.

The only difference seems to be the grease.  In fact, I just cleaned the grease out of one of them and now it clicks like a blue.

Russ

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:19:07 »
What I did see was a bit of grease on the black slider channel.  This must be what dampens the slider movement, subduing the click.

I've cleaned out the bit of lube in my white switches and the sound is still different compared to blues. So who knows, it could just be a slight difference in the plastic for the stem.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:21:52 »
There may be a subtle difference.  I swapped the sliders between the blue and white stems and the white stem still had a subtly softer click.  Materials may be a factor.

Wow, you cleaned the lube out of every switch?
Russ

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:35:56 »
When I first got the whites the amount of click varied between them. Some didn't click and felt mushy as a result. So once I found that they were lubed I opened them all and washed the stems and used a bit of rubbing alcohol here and there. Maybe someone was a little overzealous with the lube when they were being assembled.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:38:59 »
I see.  I noticed some variance as well.  In fact, I stopped lubing them thinking that was the cause.  Lubrication didn't affect the feel much anyway.  This was before I noticed the grease.  I passed over the ones that seemed to click too much.

Edit: by lubing I mean lubing the stem guides as I do with ergo-clears.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:48:40 by rknize »
Russ

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:45:56 »
i just put the white switches from my RACE onto my Poker, never thought about putting a lighter spring in there, i want to try that out. Interesting findings about the lubrication.