Author Topic: "Clicky Greys?"  (Read 2966 times)

Offline nsrexler

"Clicky Greys?"
« on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 13:35:17 »
I like MX Greens, but I think they'd feel even better if they were a little heavier. Has anyone tried making "clicky Greys" by combining a Grey spring with a Blue/Green stem?

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
Re: "Clicky Greys?"
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 13:43:59 »
on my QFR - ghetto greens on everything and 1 "super" ghetto green on my spacebar.  its slightly heaver but i would not want it for every key....
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 13:54:59 »
Green springs and grey springs are the exact same.

Greens are already 'clicky greys' so you wouldn't feel a difference.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:26:33 »

im looking at the springs from a green and dark gray. They look quite a bit different.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:31:07 »
From what I've read on various threads, I think Greens/Whites/Blacks share the same spring - clicky/tactile/linear versions of the same switch. 

Greys and Dark Greys are the tactile/linear versions of a heavier switch, stronger spring.  I forget where Clears fall in the switch/spring continuum, though. 

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:31:23 »

Are you sure about that? I know that Grays and Greens have similar actuation force, but I thought that was because the clicker on the Greens added extra resistance, the same reason that Blues are heavier than Browns and Reds even though they have nearly the same spring.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:37:14 »

im looking at the springs from a green and dark gray. They look quite a bit different.

Are you sure about that? I know that Grays and Greens have similar actuation force, but I thought that was because the clicker on the Greens added extra resistance, the same reason that Blues are heavier than Browns and Reds even though they have nearly the same spring.
If this is true then they might be different. I just knew that the actuation force was the exact same so I assumed the springs were the exact same. My bad.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline badcop

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:11:16 »
according to the deskthority wiki

Cherry MX Black    MX1A-11xx    medium stiff (60cN), linear
Cherry MX Grey            MX1A-D1xx    stiff (80cN),              tactile
Cherry MX Dark Grey    MX1A-21xx    stiff (80cN),              linear
Cherry MX Green    MX1A-F1xx    medium stiff (80cN), clicky

i honestly can't feel the difference between a ghetto green and a real green but i can definitely feel the difference between a green and a green with a Dark grey spring.

EDIT:  sorry for the mix up.  the spring i pulled it from was DARK grey linear not a regular grey tactile.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:01:53 by badcop »
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:32:45 »
Greens and Greys may be identical in terms of spring. Greens and Dark Greys are different.

So hopefully that clears up the confusion there. They're all rated at 80cN but the linears have different springs by necessity.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:33:50 »
Badcop, do you mean to say that you feel a blue switch with a black spring is essentially the same as a green switch?

then is there anything that would make you feel the same as a white or clear? I'm looking for ways to make my own ghetto whites or clears.

i honestly can't feel the difference between a ghetto green and a real green but i can definitely feel the difference between a green and a green with a grey spring.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline badcop

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:03:31 »
Badcop, do you mean to say that you feel a blue switch with a black spring is essentially the same as a green switch?

then is there anything that would make you feel the same as a white or clear? I'm looking for ways to make my own ghetto whites or clears.

i honestly can't feel the difference between a ghetto green and a real green but i can definitely feel the difference between a green and a green with a grey spring.

yeah thats right.  the weight may be off very slightly but i cant tell.  as far as white go, i'm not sure what you can do with that.  the stem is different from a blue.  its almost like a very quiet blue.  they call it a soft click.

Picture stolen from WFD's photobucket!!

clears i have no experience with.  i have a set coming in from the 7 bit GB but they havent arrived yet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:06:00 by badcop »

Offline badcop

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:04:17 »
Greens and Greys may be identical in terms of spring. Greens and Dark Greys are different.

So hopefully that clears up the confusion there. They're all rated at 80cN but the linears have different springs by necessity.

i meant dark grey and not regular grey.  i always get those two mixed up  :-[

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:05:16 »

i meant dark grey and not regular grey.  i always get those two mixed up  :-[

Not to worry, I do too. It's not fun till you mix up Blue/Light Blue/Dark Blue and everyone has an absolute fit because OMG you found Light or Dark blue. ;)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:10:13 »
Greys have different spring than green. They have same actuation force but much more to bottom. More like how blacks vs clears.
According to old Cherry datasheet I have somewhere, they once did make a clicky grey switch that was 105cN. I have never seen one in the wild yet though.