Author Topic: [REED series] Videoton 48004  (Read 1560 times)

Offline niubio

[REED series] Videoton 48004
« on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:28:33 »
Today we're going to learn hungarian way to build a board. Now I'm not 100% sure it's based on REED switches... I don't want to use force to break something, because this board is from... 1977, Yeah, it's older than the Siemens monster I already wrote about here! The path layout on the bottom of the PCB looks a little similar to Zbrojovka boards + switches feel kinda like them. My bet it's REED.

You remember when I wrote yesterday that you can hurt your feet with my MK45 board? Well, Videoton makes it blush in envy. The bottom base has so thick walls that it literally can be called a tank. It's a dual role keyboard: a terminal, and a weapon. And a shield from small caliber firearms maybe. The metal plug is a giant, I think it was common in '70 to "make sure the plug stays connected". Yeah... And just look how thick that thing is! You can find two layers of electronics inside.

Caps are double shots - very high quality. Interesting thing is that some switches are "double-taps", I don't know how you English-speaking guys call them... It's like on Commodore 64 home computer with "Shift lock" key - you can actually lock them, I guess it will be more clear if you watch the video I've shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4KdlBt08Ps

This video was pain in the a$$ to make. I don't know, maybe I need to rest a little :) Dog started barking, those flat screws were giving me a headache. A bad day.

Overall, I must say it's a very high quality board. The switch mechanism feels waaay better than our domestic Unitra-Polam.

More photos posted here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:58:32 by niubio »

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: [HAL series] Videoton 48004
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:54:41 »
Is "video" Hungarian for "weighs a"?

Remind me, "HAL"? I don't remember whether I saw what that stands for.

It's interesting that the switches are supported by spacer blocks. There's something kind of similar with Hi-Tek modular switches: wider keys have correspondingly wider switches to form a solid block of switches, but nothing quite like that.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:57:07 »
Oooo. I want...

*drools*
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:03:48 »
Yes please. I would like THAT thickness for my next keyboard case. It's an emergency boat anchor or weight for your car when its winter and snowy outside  :))

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:05:28 »
I was contemplating using a case like that in the Alps Kiibohd project. Not sure how to source such cases though :P
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:06:36 »
Apparently we need to find a foundry in Hungary Haata.

Offline niubio

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 18:09:33 »
Remind me, "HAL"? I don't remember whether I saw what that stands for.

It's interesting that the switches are supported by spacer blocks. There's something kind of similar with Hi-Tek modular switches: wider keys have correspondingly wider switches to form a solid block of switches, but nothing quite like that.

Ohhh... I meant HALL effect, not HAL of course... Have to change all my post now I think :/

Those "spacers" along with switches are a very precise piece of work - there's no space left between the modules, they fit very tight to one another and because of that it's quite a challenge to pull them out.

BTW I have one very interesting board for you Daniel - based on green Alps, it's not present in the wiki yet (I've checked here) It's labeled "6752EA" on the PCB inside and FMA44HKB6251 on the back label. And those green Alps don't look like complicated Alps at all - but surely feel like it! Smooth as hell. Very strange board... I'll post about it tomorrow.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: [REED series] Videoton 48004
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 02:50:52 »
Sounds like someone in Taiwan got their '2's and '7's mixed up : ) I look forward to it!
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner