Author Topic: [SOLVED] Clear vs Brown - Heavy vs Light - Can't decide [Decided on Clears.]  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Vozella

I have a Cherry MX keyswitch tester and I can't decide between Brown and Clear switches?
I'm worried that if I get Brown switches, they'll be too light.
I'm worried that if I get Clear   switches, they'll be too heavy. I love the tactile feedback though.

Edit: Is there any way that if I get Clears and I think they're too heavy that I can mod them to be lighter? Will it keep that same tactile feel?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:09:12 by Vozella »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Clear vs Brown - Heavy vs Light - Can't decide
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:18:59 »
Browns are WAY too light for me. They feel fine on a switch tester, but put them all over a board and you can't even feel the bumps.

I'd say go with Clears and mod them later if you need to.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:21:07 »
You can indeed change the spring to modify the weight of it, it even make it more tactile since you feel less the weight and more the tactility.

On stock keyboard you have to desolder the switches to modfify them.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Vozella

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:26:36 »
Browns are WAY too light for me. They feel fine on a switch tester, but put them all over a board and you can't even feel the bumps.

I'd say go with Clears and mod them later if you need to.
So you CAN mod them!

You can indeed change the spring to modify the weight of it, it even make it more tactile since you feel less the weight and more the tactility.

That sounds like a really fun project.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:27:03 »
If you're too lazy to mod them you could always get the Zealios switches http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio. They're pretty much Ergo Clears. I actually have a keyboard with MX browns, MX clears, and Zealios [65g Tactile] and switch between the 3 depending on my mood. I'd say clears are my least favorite out of the 3.
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline Vozella

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 18:23:51 »

I just changed the springs from the blue and clear switch.

If you're too lazy to mod them you could always get the Zealios switches http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio. They're pretty much Ergo Clears. I actually have a keyboard with MX browns, MX clears, and Zealios [65g Tactile] and switch between the 3 depending on my mood. I'd say clears are my least favorite out of the 3.
I'm planning to order the Sampler Pack. http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio-switch-sampler-pack

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 22:38:43 »

I just changed the springs from the blue and clear switch.

I'm planning to order the Sampler Pack. http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio-switch-sampler-pack

aw so zealio sampler pack already available..
i want to test zealio too but cant decide what spring should i pick..
it would be nice if we can test it first :thumb:

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 22:48:13 »
Have you tried both switches? Browns are not just light clears. Browns have almost no tactile feedback because there is no bump (it has nothing to do w/ spring weight). If you were to put a clear spring into a brown switch it would still feel almost linear.

Clear switches have a defined bump regardless of weight.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 03:52:29 »
You really need to try both switches on actual keyboards, not just a sampler.

Pressing a single switch in isolation is a very different feeling to typing on a whole board of a particular switch.

Many, including me, feel browns are too light, and prefer stiffer switches like blacks, greens and clears.

Many others say stiffer springs are too hard and result in finger/wrist pain.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 05:59:15 »
The trick with clears is to not bottom out when typing, then they aren't heavy anymore.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 06:18:09 »
I'd go clears myself. Nice and heavy with a definite tactile bump. As it's been said earlier in this thread you can change the springs to tune the key to your preference

Offline Vozella

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:07:51 »
Have you tried both switches? Browns are not just light clears. Browns have almost no tactile feedback because there is no bump (it has nothing to do w/ spring weight). If you were to put a clear spring into a brown switch it would still feel almost linear.

Clear switches have a defined bump regardless of weight.
What are you talking about? I never said anything about putting a clear spring in a brown switch. I DID put a blue spring in a clear switch though.
You really need to try both switches on actual keyboards, not just a sampler.

Pressing a single switch in isolation is a very different feeling to typing on a whole board of a particular switch.

Many, including me, feel browns are too light, and prefer stiffer switches like blacks, greens and clears.

Many others say stiffer springs are too hard and result in finger/wrist pain.
Okay. That's fine, but there's no way I'm going to buy two keyboards only to use one of them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [SOLVED] Clear vs Brown - Heavy vs Light - Can't decide [Decided on Clears.]
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:41:27 »
It is a fact that only trying a full board you can know if a particular switch may fit your needs, even more, the construction of the keyboard assembly affects the final feeling.