Author Topic: What factors should I consider when choosing a "premium" custom kit for a TKL?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here, but I've been doing a lot of reading here to try and educate myself before I do my first TKL build.  I've seen a lot of very interesting TKL kits in the Group Buys and Pre-orders forum, but to be honest, I don't know what criteria ( other than basic looks  ) I should be using to narrow down my choices.

When you look at these kits, what kind of check-boxes do you have in mind that they _must_ satisfy to get your hard earned cash?  Also, are there features in the kits they sometimes throw in that turn you off?

Lastly, are there any upcoming GBs that you're holding out waiting for ?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Winkey or Winkeyless? This is just a question of aesthetics, but WKL kits usually end up being more desirable down the road if you ever decide to sell it.

What firmware do you want to use? Again, a matter of personal preference, but the hierarchy is generally: QMK = BMC > JigOn > O2D (duck boards) > Aikon (older TKLs, mainly OTDs)

What typing angle do you prefer? 8 degrees is pretty much the standard, but you see other options pop up now and then.

Who makes it? Is is some random running their first GB, or is it someone well established like LZ or duck? Are you willing to take the risk on quality of a new runner?

Is the PCB standard? If it's not A.87, I'm not buying it.

that's the basics, there's always little things i look for that i can't think of right now
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ

Winkey or Winkeyless? This is just a question of aesthetics

When you remove a pair of real, functional keys, that's more than just aesthetics, it's sacrificing functionality.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘

When you remove a pair of real, functional keys, that's more than just aesthetics, it's sacrificing functionality.

In a world of infinitely programmable KB's, this is debatable.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I often see the weight of the case and thickness of the plate cited as selling points, do these make a tangible difference when typing?  Brass is often a premium option as well, is that because it's heavier than aluminum?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

I'm with dale on this one.

I often see the weight of the case and thickness of the plate cited as selling points, do these make a tangible difference when typing?  Brass is often a premium option as well, is that because it's heavier than aluminum?

thickness is almost always gonna be 1.5mm, since that's what cherry allows for

plate material is definitely something worth thinking about though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ

A single key with six modifiers = 720 unique key combos. Now there's the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of aesthetics. And I'd love to see someone dedicate their life to memorizing and mastering it.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
top mount plate for me is important  ;)
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice