Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1315285 times)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3100 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:23:26 »
Have any of you guys tried out the Takstar 2050s?  The Superlux 681s were just painful for my giant head, so I've got to try something else

Show Image

I have the Qpad QH-85 which are basically the same but with a removable mic. I have a pretty big head (I need to fully extend the headband on like all headphones I've tested) and I find them very comfortable!
I've been using them for over a year now without any problems.
Show Image

Sweet, thanks! 

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3101 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 06:18:24 »
just received this baby, love the sound :)

Show Image
DSC00862 by epzyy, on Flickr

Those are really really pretty.

yeah, I agree ^_^
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3102 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 20:37:31 »
i'm a th600 believer ;_;
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3103 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:59:56 »
i'm a th600 believer ;_;

Give me your th600 and make me a believer. QQ.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3104 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 01:10:41 »
I wish I had th600s
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3105 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 01:15:19 »
i'm a th600 believer ;_;

never ;_;

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3106 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 04:09:07 »
With any luck, I'd be joining the Fostex club......working on getting a TH900, should be my last can purchase as I'd cover bot close and open ortho and dynamic cans. I'm just short of a close dynamic.....for now.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3107 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:50:55 »
With any luck, I'd be joining the Fostex club......working on getting a TH900, should be my last can purchase as I'd cover bot close and open ortho and dynamic cans. I'm just short of a close dynamic.....for now.
Jeezus padawan you already have more cans collectively than everyone else in this thread lol

As for me I'm done purchasing gear for a while. I'm very content with my set up and probably will only add some totl headphones to my collection when I have big bucks to blow lol. Audeze here I come.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3108 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:17:24 »
i'm a th600 believer ;_;

never ;_;

Show Image

That the new stack?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3109 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:33:14 »
yessir

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3110 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:10:23 »
Jeezus padawan you already have more cans collectively than everyone else in this thread lol

As for me I'm done purchasing gear for a while. I'm very content with my set up and probably will only add some totl headphones to my collection when I have big bucks to blow lol. Audeze here I come.
I have nine mid tier to flagship cans, excluding two entry level cans in the HD555 and ATH-AD700X, with open and close orthos (including an LCD2.2 non-Fazor), with three flagship open dynamic....that's when I'd realized close dynamic isn't represented in my collection, I figured either a TH600 or TH900 would be good close dynamic cans......though I do believe they aren't fully close back. Doesn't matter as I believe the TH600/900 would still provide a degree of isolation, I presently have MrSpeakers Alpha Dog as my close back ortho, so a TH600 (at the very least) would be a great close back dynamic can.

If I get the TH900, it'd signal the end of my buying spree for audio as I have three audio setups (Schiit Lyr + iFi iDSD Nano stack, Geek Pulse Standard combo, Schiit Vali + Fostex HPA4 stack) for three rigs, and ten mid-tier to flagship cans to rotate. BTW, the Philips Fidelio X1 is one outstanding can, I find myself using it more often than not for gaming, movies and music. Great bass extension that doesn't muddies mids much, good mids and highs,certainly worth the 160USD I'd paid for mine. I've heard the X2 is more balanced, with perhaps better mids due to a reduced bass, but I kinda like the X1 as it is.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:13:31 by PadawanGeek »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3111 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 13:35:04 »

I have nine mid tier to flagship cans, excluding two entry level cans in the HD555 and ATH-AD700X, with open and close orthos (including an LCD2.2 non-Fazor), with three flagship open dynamic....that's when I'd realized close dynamic isn't represented in my collection, I figured either a TH600 or TH900 would be good close dynamic cans......though I do believe they aren't fully close back. Doesn't matter as I believe the TH600/900 would still provide a degree of isolation, I presently have MrSpeakers Alpha Dog as my close back ortho, so a TH600 (at the very least) would be a great close back dynamic can.

If I get the TH900, it'd signal the end of my buying spree for audio as I have three audio setups (Schiit Lyr + iFi iDSD Nano stack, Geek Pulse Standard combo, Schiit Vali + Fostex HPA4 stack) for three rigs, and ten mid-tier to flagship cans to rotate. BTW, the Philips Fidelio X1 is one outstanding can, I find myself using it more often than not for gaming, movies and music. Great bass extension that doesn't muddies mids much, good mids and highs,certainly worth the 160USD I'd paid for mine. I've heard the X2 is more balanced, with perhaps better mids due to a reduced bass, but I kinda like the X1 as it is.

Amazon still has some Fidelio x1s for ~$175 too..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3112 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:43:40 »
yessir

Looks awesome. Is it the Magni/Modii? I could really do with a set of those...

Did you get the Modi Uber too?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 16:50:09 by katushkin »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3113 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 22:07:31 »
I'd stumbled onto a nice deal for a Grado GS1000i, snagged it for about 463USD which I think is a pretty good price for one of Grado's flagships. I'd considered jumping right in with the PS1000e but was talked out of it. Seems Grado is an aquired taste, and a good majority may not like its signature sound. Anyway, I'm anxious to get it, will be back with pics...oh yeah, still working on the TH900 deal.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3114 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 23:56:43 »
yessir

magni 2 uber, modi 2 uber

here's a better picture of it

also, apparently these guys import for europe?

http://www.schiit-europe.com/

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3115 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 01:07:02 »
How are the ubers treating you?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3116 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 09:12:29 »
My latest acquisition, Grado GS1000i...

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3117 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 09:47:20 »
My latest acquisition, Grado GS1000i...
Show Image

I've only seen grados in person never actually put them on. I've always wondered how is the comfort on those?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3118 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:08:23 »
I've only seen grados in person never actually put them on. I've always wondered how is the comfort on those?
I'm putting it through its pace now, it's quite comfortable actually (though the cushion pad on mine needs to be replaced), there's a very slight clamping force that doesn't bother me one bit. The sound is......very good even in the face of the other cans I have. It's quite transparent, wide soundstage (NOT up to HD800 level, but great width and height, perhaps not the depth of the HD800), good bass (haven't tried A/B'ing the HD800 and it, but it seems to have better bass I think, very good vocals. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, I'm pleased as punch with it.... :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3119 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:08:59 »
yessir

Show Image

I think you can just buy them off the normal Schiit website. Looks a lot easier, that site looks all over the place.

The US site sells them with UK power adaptors too.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3120 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:59:52 »

yessir

Show Image

I think you can just buy them off the normal Schiit website. Looks a lot easier, that site looks all over the place.

The US site sells them with UK power adaptors too.
Yeah but shipping is probably cheaper and faster.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3121 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 18:59:07 »
Yeah but shipping is probably cheaper and faster.

True. I guess I will see what happens when I actually come round to getting a pair.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3122 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 00:34:52 »
Got my Takstar hi 2050s.. I got a brainwavz HM5 velour pads to put on it too, but trying to get them on the Takstars is making me want to kill something >_<

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3123 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:34:54 »
Finally got the ear pads swapped on the Takstar 2050s

To:

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
« Reply #3124 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:26:44 »
Sennheiser 439's here. I got them for $40 and they're the best headphones I've ever used. They bleed like hell though.
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3125 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:53:17 »
Sennheiser 439's here. I got them for $40 and they're the best headphones I've ever used. They bleed like hell though.

They are open headphones. That's the point :p

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3126 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:08:08 »
What headphones would you guys recommend for a schiit modi+magni 2 stack?
I'm a total audio noob, but if it helps, I mostly listen to classic rock, and alternative music.  I'm looking to spend around $200-250 for the headphones.  I keep looking at dt990 600ohm by beyer, but I'm assuming there's probably a lot of other options out there too.  Like keyboards, the selection is almost overwhelming for someone coming into the hobby.  Thanks! :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3127 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:37:43 »
I'm a total audio noob, but if it helps, I mostly listen to classic rock, and alternative music.  I'm looking to spend around $200-250 for the headphones.  I keep looking at dt990 600ohm by beyer, but I'm assuming there's probably a lot of other options out there too.  Like keyboards, the selection is almost overwhelming for someone coming into the hobby.  Thanks! :)
In my opinion you can't go wrong with those. If you aren't in a rush, the massdrop AKG 7XX are a popular choice at that price point. Or hd600/hd650. What's your hard limit?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3128 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:46:43 »
In my opinion you can't go wrong with those. If you aren't in a rush, the massdrop AKG 7XX are a popular choice at that price point. Or hd600/hd650. What's your hard limit?
I'm in no rush! I planned on ordering the stack soon, but I want to make sure I pick out a good pair of headphones since there are so many options to consider.  I think $250 is the highest I could go, but if something really nice is slightly above that, I think I could wiggle up somewhat. I'll definitely look into some Massdrop offerings, do they offer pretty good discounts off the MSRP?  I think I remember seeing the dt990's as low as $240, which Amazon has currently listed at $329.  Thanks so much for the help, radio!  :thumb:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3129 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:34:03 »
I'm in no rush! I planned on ordering the stack soon, but I want to make sure I pick out a good pair of headphones since there are so many options to consider.  I think $250 is the highest I could go, but if something really nice is slightly above that, I think I could wiggle up somewhat. I'll definitely look into some Massdrop offerings, do they offer pretty good discounts off the MSRP?  I think I remember seeing the dt990's as low as $240, which Amazon has currently listed at $329.  Thanks so much for the help, radio!  :thumb:

I got the DT990 Pro (250ohm) off of Amazon.com last year for $140. They are great headphones! I really like them and overtime I listen to them it persuades me from upgrading. :P

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3130 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:37:20 »

I got the DT990 Pro (250ohm) off of Amazon.com last year for $140. They are great headphones! I really like them and overtime I listen to them it persuades me from upgrading. :P
I'm really thinking I should just go for the 250ohm and stop obsessing over the impedance level so much, I probably wouldn't be able to discern any difference between 250ohm's and 600.  Thanks byker!!  ;D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3131 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:38:53 »

I got the DT990 Pro (250ohm) off of Amazon.com last year for $140. They are great headphones! I really like them and overtime I listen to them it persuades me from upgrading. :p
I'm really thinking I should just go for the 250ohm and stop obsessing over the impedance level so much, I probably wouldn't be able to discern any difference between 250ohm's and 600.  Thanks byker!!  ;D

I think if they were the same price I would get the 600ohm. But you can get the pros for crazy cheap considering the quality of headphone you are getting, which makes them worth it to me.  :)  Let me know if you have any questions about them..

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3132 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:48:54 »

I got the DT990 Pro (250ohm) off of Amazon.com last year for $140. They are great headphones! I really like them and overtime I listen to them it persuades me from upgrading. :p

I think if they were the same price I would get the 600ohm. But you can get the pros for crazy cheap considering the quality of headphone you are getting, which makes them worth it to me.  :)  Let me know if you have any questions about them..
Yeah, oddly enough Amazon is listing 250 and 600 for the same price at $379, I know I've seen both variants for much cheaper occasionally, so I guess the best thing right now would be to just wait for a better deal to come around, I'll definitely be in touch should I have any questions!  ;D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3133 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:51:37 »
An alternate choice would Sennheiser 600s or 650s. They have both been going on sale a lot recently, suggesting there may be something new coming in the future. I usually check out /r/headphones, as they post any good sales going on.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3136 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:00:54 »
I think Binge uses HE 400s.. I haven't listened to them myself, but I hear they are pretty awesome.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3137 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:17:11 »
He-400s are so much cheaper stateside! And I thought I could recall Binge talking about HE-560s, but maybe he has both.  8)

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #3138 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:18:49 »
Got my Takstar hi 2050s.. I got a brainwavz HM5 velour pads to put on it too, but trying to get them on the Takstars is making me want to kill something >_<
Did you notice any difference in sound with the MH5 pads?
I've been thinking about getting some new pads for my Qpad QH-85's since I now have had them for over two years so the pads are getting thinner.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3139 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:19:07 »
Well, HE 560s would be nice too ;)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3140 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:19:49 »
Did you notice any difference in sound with the MH5 pads?
I've been thinking about getting some new pads for my Qpad QH-85's since I now have had them for over two years so the pads are getting thinner.

I didn't listen to them very long before switching pads, so hard to say for sure.. incredibly more comfortable tho!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3141 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:27:33 »
He-400s are so much cheaper stateside! And I thought I could recall Binge talking about HE-560s, but maybe he has both.  8)

He's had 400s, uses 560s now and Lady Binge uses a pair of 400is.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3142 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:33:11 »

He's had 400s, uses 560s now and Lady Binge uses a pair of 400is.

Nice!  I'm stuck with some $50 Takstars, but they are pretty good

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3143 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:02:42 »
You could also try the Philips Fidelio x1

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426103608&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x1

or some HiFiMan HE-400s

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007ZG32I4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
Thanks cmadrid! This is harder than keyboards!  :-\ :-\

HE400's are awesome if you like a lot of bass. Their comfort is very so so and a quite heavy. (~$300 new, $250 or less used) (I've listened to these)

The Fidelio X1's I haven't tried but what people say about them is that they are warm, with good bass and comfy. They would be on par or rival the HD600 (~$180 new?, not really sure I haven't looked them up in a while) The new Fidelio X2's have also been very highly reviewed. (~$250 new if I recall) (Haven't heard before)

HD600 are great neutral cans for pretty much anything, I hear they pair well the the M/M stack, it is great for critical listening. (~$250 ish new, easily $200 used) (Have heard)

HD650 (which I have) are warm, laid back, have great bass, sound awesome with tube amps, comfort at first can be an issue until they stretch out. They are very good for just enjoying music, they are considered very "musical" (~$300 new, ~$250 used)

HE400i's are probably out of your reach since on average they go for $400 used or with an open box but they are absolutely gorgeous. Great all around sound, very crisp and clear, they are also much more comfy than the original HE400. (~$400 open box or used $500 new) ( I also have these)

As for the Dt990, i would stick with the 250 ohm version seeing as it is more versatile with amps, with the 600ohm version it would be rather hard to run out of your phone, with the 250 ohm version you could still potentially run it out of a mobile device and still get some decent volume out of it. (I wouldn't pay more than like $220 new for them) (I have heard these)

Hope this helps you out flyers
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:07:05 by radio_killah »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3144 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:06:12 »

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426103608&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x1

or some HiFiMan HE-400s

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007ZG32I4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

HE400's are awesome if you like a lot of bass. Their comfort is very so so and a quite heavy. (~$300 new, $250 or less used)

The Fidelio X1's I haven't tried but what people say about them is that they are warm, with good bass and comfy. They would be on par or rival the HD600 (~$180 new?, not really sure I haven't looked them up in a while) The new Fidelio X2's have also been very highly reviewed. (~$250 new if I recall)

HD600 are great neutral cans for pretty much anything, I hear they pair well the the M/M stack, it is great for critical listening. (~$250 ish new, easily $200 used)

HD650 (which I have) are warm, laid back, have great bass, sound awesome with tube amps, comfort at first can be an issue until they stretch out. They are very good for just enjoying music, they are considered very "musical" (~$300 new, ~$250 used)

HE400i's are probably out of your reach since on average they go for $400 used or with an open box but they are absolutely gorgeous. Great all around sound, very crisp and clear, they are also much more comfy than the original HE400. (~$400 open box or used $500 new)

As for the Dt990, i would stick with the 250 ohm version seeing as it is more versatile with amps, with the 600ohm version it would be rather hard to run out of your phone, with the 250 ohm version you could still potentially run it out of a mobile device and still get some decent volume out of it. (I wouldn't pay more than like $220 new for them)

It's such a huge help, thanks so much Radio, and everyone else who chimed in here, it's much appreciated!!  ;D

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3145 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:08:12 »

or some HiFiMan HE-400s

HE400's are awesome if you like a lot of bass. Their comfort is very so so and a quite heavy. (~$300 new, $250 or less used)

The Fidelio X1's I haven't tried but what people say about them is that they are warm, with good bass and comfy. They would be on par or rival the HD600 (~$180 new?, not really sure I haven't looked them up in a while) The new Fidelio X2's have also been very highly reviewed. (~$250 new if I recall)

HD600 are great neutral cans for pretty much anything, I hear they pair well the the M/M stack, it is great for critical listening. (~$250 ish new, easily $200 used)

HE400i's are probably out of your reach since on average they go for $400 used or with an open box but they are absolutely gorgeous. Great all around sound, very crisp and clear, they are also much more comfy than the original HE400. (~$400 open box or used $500 new)

As for the Dt990, i would stick with the 250 ohm version seeing as it is more versatile with amps, with the 600ohm version it would be rather hard to run out of your phone, with the 250 ohm version you could still potentially run it out of a mobile device and still get some decent volume out of it. (I wouldn't pay more than like $220 new for them)

It's such a huge help, thanks so much Radio, and everyone else who chimed in here, it's much appreciated!!  ;D

If you ever need help with high end top of the line headphones, ask PadawanGeek. He has a collection that is bigger and worth more than all the rest of us combined haha. I'm sure he frequents headfi as well.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3146 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 18:42:39 »

There are a lot of great headphones in that price range. It really depends on your listening preferences. If you are using the M/M stack, I would stay away from the 600ohm Beyers. Those would work better with an OTL tube amp. The 250ohm would be great with the M/M. Beyers tend to be tilted toward a brighter signature than Sennheisers. Some people like that and some don't. The Sennheiser HD600 is a bit warmer and lusher than the DT990, but not quite as warm as the HD650. As some others have mentioned, the planars like the HiFiman HE-400 are great but can be a little more expensive unless you find a really good deal on a used pair. They also require an amplifier which can deliver a bit more current. M/M would drive them ok but you would get a lot more out of them with something like the Lyr which can pump out a lot more juice into a low impedance load. Hope this helps
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3147 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 18:54:02 »
I think my next set will be some HD598s. I dunno, I just think they look awesome and they are a pretty reasonable price.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3148 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 19:20:20 »
I think my next set will be some HD598s. I dunno, I just think they look awesome and they are a pretty reasonable price.
Can't go wrong with them. Most comfy pair I've ever tried, they are light, look great and sound awesome. Bass can be a bit weak but female vocals in my opinion are sublime with the 598s. They also have some of the best soundstage, very wide and open, which is great for playing games as well.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3149 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 19:46:50 »
Can't go wrong with them. Most comfy pair I've ever tried, they are light, look great and sound awesome. Bass can be a bit weak but female vocals in my opinion are sublime with the 598s. They also have some of the best soundstage, very wide and open, which is great for playing games as well.

Sounds perfect for what I want :)