Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3519748 times)

Offline enchong

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16950 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 16:04:20 »
Not really sure tbh, probably the BKE tactile because I want it to be more tactile than the stock hhkb. I used to have a realforce ang I love how that feels. But I also like the hhkb layout.

Enchong | HHKB Pro2 Blank, DES Silencing Ring #3, DES Domes Carrot 49g | HHKB Pro2 Stamped, DES Silencing Ring #2

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16951 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 18:01:28 »
Not really sure tbh, probably the BKE tactile because I want it to be more tactile than the stock hhkb. I used to have a realforce ang I love how that feels. But I also like the hhkb layout.

I personally put the 56g bke tactile domes on my 87u (iirc). They feel ever so slightly heavier than the original 55g domes mostly because of the increased tactility. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to the next lowest weight -- somewhere in the mid to high 40gs. It's all subjective, but the added tactility adds just enough resistance to the top of the force curve to make my brain think I'm typing on a heavier switch. Hope that helps
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline erretter

• My Merch Shop
« Reply #16952 on: Thu, 02 May 2024, 10:26:51 »
I F'd up the top housing of a soldered in switch (complicated to explain; please just take that info, as it is). The switch is still functioning, but wonky.

Q: Can I swap out the top housing of a switch from the top-side without desoldering it?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2024, 10:28:55 by erretter »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16953 on: Thu, 02 May 2024, 12:24:28 »
I F'd up the top housing of a soldered in switch (complicated to explain; please just take that info, as it is). The switch is still functioning, but wonky.

Q: Can I swap out the top housing of a switch from the top-side without desoldering it?

Some plates have notches cut out on either side of the switch to allow the top housing clips bend outward. I haven't seen those in quite a few years though. If the plate is contacting the switch on all four sides, you're going to have to desolder. That said, it's a pretty simple operation and a great excuse to learn to solder. You got this!  :thumb:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline erretter

• My Merch Shop
« Reply #16954 on: Thu, 02 May 2024, 17:05:09 »

Some plates have notches cut out on either side of the switch to allow the top housing clips bend outward. I haven't seen those in quite a few years though. If the plate is contacting the switch on all four sides, you're going to have to desolder. That said, it's a pretty simple operation and a great excuse to learn to solder. You got this!  :thumb:

Thank you! Didn't know about the plate specifics. But I have to say, I soldered the switches in by myself, with led free solder and desoldering this is a 50/50 chance damaging the PCB because it's almost impossible to get all the solder out.