Author Topic: Virtualization  (Read 2082 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Virtualization
« on: Tue, 30 September 2008, 15:00:44 »
Well, I finally bit the bullet and migrated my home lab to VMWare.  VirtualBox is my VM solution of choice, however, my company's products only officially support VMWare.  I've been able to limp by with most of the products under VirtualBox and everything else on hardware appliances, but ended up having to make the move to vmware to fully support everything in my virtual lab.

The web access infrastructure manager is nice...but again, like most everything else web-based I run into lately, it won't function fully under OS X.  (console access to the VM requires an IE or FireFox plugin which are only supported under the nasty and Linux.  

(and, as I've mentioned several times before, due to the lack of Java 6 32-bit (or a 64-bit browser to use with Java 6 64-bit) for OSX, I cannot use the web management interface for several of our products)  

GRRRRR!!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Virtualization
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 September 2008, 15:14:03 »
What does VMWare have over Parallels?

Offline iMav

Virtualization
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 September 2008, 15:42:57 »
Quote from: xsphat;9215
What does VMWare have over Parallels?

Market share.  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Virtualization
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 14:50:08 »
I'm running LinuxMint on VMWare and I like both a lot. I think VMWare is better than Parallels after I've demoed them. Good call iMav.

Offline iMav

Virtualization
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 19:40:36 »
I like VirtualBox best under OS X because it is free and seems to provide better VM performance than both Parallels and VMWare.  

Lately I would agree that Parallels has fallen behind VMWare on OS X.  Parallels was the first, but once VMWare came on board with OS X as a host, they quickly passed Parallels in performance, stability, functionality, etc.