Author Topic: Funky Office Chairs  (Read 6498 times)

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 17:51:06 »
Whats standing between you and greatness isnt just finding the best keyboard on earth, but also the best chair on earth!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bigpook

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 18:03:06 »
I vote for the herman miller mirra. It is very comfortable and I expect to have it for many years.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 18:05:14 »
they all look so beautiful. I have a big 'ol grandpa office recliner that I got from staples for 80 bucks. Its comfortable enough but takes up way too much space in my tiny room. Could use more lumbar support I suppose. Would love a cheap mesh chair though there doesnt seem to be such a thing these days.

I dont know if I'd like The Swopper, but it sure would free up a lot of room! ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bigpook

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 18:20:09 »
kind of like keyboards....the nice ones seem to cost so much : (

Offline D-EJ915

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2008, 11:25:26 »
I've got the combo from officedepot or officemax of this desk and chair thing they had a few years ago, probably 4 years ago or so.  I love the chair, it reclines to such a good height that puts my head right at the center of my monitors which is where it should be.  Great stuff, wish the keyboard and mouse were a bit lower but whatever, I don't type that much for it to be annoying.

Offline lowpoly

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 November 2008, 09:15:21 »
I tried a Swopper some weeks ago and loved it. I can't imagine to use for a full day though. And as an add-on it's too expensive, at least for me.

I have a HAG Credo:

Like this one but in black and not as wide, the one in the pic is the special wide version.

Love the headrest. :)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 November 2008, 13:44:38 »
I take it the sexy business executive was not included? ;)

Offline lowpoly

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 November 2008, 13:50:19 »
Unfortunately. :(

Maybe with the wide version, I'll never know.

Offline itlnstln

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 November 2008, 15:14:47 »
Sexyness aside, that pic looks like it was take in the 80's with that hairdo.  I think that's a hair tsunami on top of her head.

Offline Bodibo

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 05:50:59 »

Offline bigpook

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 06:17:07 »
wow, thats the uber chair : )

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 07:01:57 »
Quote from: bigpook;10226
wow, thats the uber chair : )

With Darth Vader sitting in it!

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 08:02:00 »
Quote from: itlnstln;10178
Sexyness aside, that pic looks like it was take in the 80's with that hairdo.  I think that's a hair tsunami on top of her head.

Dude, your penguin-chucking skills continue to impress. I see you've raised the bar with a new high score!

Offline itlnstln

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 08:16:01 »
I had to widen the gap a bit.  I left the high score a little too close for comfort.  4 feet is easy, 36 feet is a little harder.  I might finally put out a 1500' performance when I feel like it. ;)

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 08:20:30 »
So basically you're saying I'm going to have to hit 300 feet five times. *sigh* Alright. Gotta do what I gotta do.  ;)  
Maybe if I had a better chair and a better keyboard... hmmmmm.

Offline itlnstln

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 16:12:48 »
Don't worry about it.  xyzzy took the high score with a 1504...  Punk. :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 21:27:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;10256

I wondered how long it would take for arcade smack talk to spill over into the forums.  ;)

Offline xyzzy

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 03:27:33 »

Ha! Love that game! I think that with some training the high score could be pushed up to 1600, so there's still a lot of room for improvement. :)

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 03:33:09 »

good grief!
And he even took out my moon lander score! the bastard!  ;)

Ha! Love that game! I think that with some training the high score could be pushed up to 1600, so there's still a lot of room for improvement.  

A score of 1504 is prolly outside the safety parameters of my compaq mx-11900... guess I better just relish my virtually unbeatable high score of 57 in archery 2000 (thats 3 shy of a perfect score, for you punks). ;)

Offline djones

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 November 2008, 23:08:15 »
is it possible to try these out any where? I'm willing to spend the money but not on something I've never even seen in real life.

also, are the armrests removable on the herman miller aeron and mirra?

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 01:05:40 »
Quote from: djones;11149
is it possible to try these out any where? I'm willing to spend the money but not on something I've never even seen in real life.

also, are the armrests removable on the herman miller aeron and mirra?

I think I saw an aero chair at staples once. Also at officemax. You could try them, they generally have a wide range of chairs. There are also specialty stores that exclusively sell high end chairs, at least in manhattan I walk by them all the time. (never been in one since I'm quite sure I cant afford anything ;)

Offline djones

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 November 2008, 05:54:41 »
I tried the herman miller aeron and mirra at a high end interior design place and I wasn't very impressed... the mirra's hard plastic back was uncomfortable and the lombar support on the aeron was just plain 'blah'. I'd sit in them if someone gave them to me, but honestly, they didn't feel like $1000 chairs. for $1000, i want my @$$ to feel like its floating.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 November 2008, 12:40:27 »
there are herman miller stores everywhere.

when i was in colorado springs i went to the local HM store and they had just done a conference where HM supplied all the chairs (400 or so) so they were selling them for $600 w/ the 12yr warrenty etc. :)

Here's how i justified it: i was going through $200 chairs from officemax every year or two so w/ the 12 yr warranty on the aeron im actually saving money... and I have now had it umm 3 years I think and it still works like it did the day i bought it.

now that I got a height adjustable desk I have no complaints about my aeron (i used to have the chair too high so my legs werent comfortable)

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 November 2008, 12:47:42 »

a height adjustable desk

i really want one of those.   How does it work? screws under the legs?

Offline djones

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 02:09:28 »
Quote from: wellington1869;12177
i really want one of those.   How does it work? screws under the legs?

The real expensive ones (~$2000) have buttons that raise and lower it. The less expensive one have a hand crank. Though I'm not sure why you'd use one over a regular keyboard tray and a monitor arm for, like, 1/5th the price. (My tray + monitor arm was only $250 together.)

Offline lowpoly

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 03:14:59 »
Our tables here at the office are made from aluminum scaffolding tubes which makes them height adjustable. You just can't do it all the time. The reason for us was, we're using higher tables and chairs and were tired of putting books under the standard height tables.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 08:15:39 »
Quote from: djones;12334
Though I'm not sure why you'd use one over a regular keyboard tray and a monitor arm for, like, 1/5th the price. (My tray + monitor arm was only $250 together.)

I find standard office desk height too high, I'm only 5' 3" so I have to raise the chair until my feet don't touch the ground, which puts more strain on the back. Also, I haven't found a keyboard tray that can accommodate a keyboard, two trackballs and a tablet. I need these to be on the same level.

I've been thinking of getting a set of VIKA KAJ legs from IKEA until I can replace the whole desk but I'm worried they will wobble too much.

I was really surprised when I went shopping for an office chair. I had a nice big leather chair in mind but the seat was too deep on every one, I couldn't sit in it with my back supported. I ended up getting a plain one that fits me perfectly.

I think those Herman Miller chairs are ugly.

Offline wellington1869

Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 08:24:31 »

Also, I haven't found a keyboard tray that can accommodate a keyboard, two trackballs and a tablet. I need these to be on the same level.

same here, i'd want it to have the entire desktop move up and down and give me all that space.

also I'd love a desk with right and left wings (also height adjustable and on wheels). I cant get enough deskspace.

I've been thinking of getting a set of VIKA KAJ legs from IKEA until I can replace the whole desk but I'm worried they will wobble too much

hey those look really interesting. Do those attach to the underside of existing legs or do you remove existing legs and substitute these?

I was really surprised when I went shopping for an office chair. I had a nice big leather chair in mind but the seat was too deep on every one, I couldn't sit in it with my back supported. I ended up getting a plain one that fits me perfectly.

I have a big huge leather chair now which I thought I would like, but actually I dont like it that much (lousy back support, takes up too much space, etc). I'm thinking of "downgrading" to a regular mesh chair with better back support. My mom has a very simple firm-cushion chair which is amazingly comfortable even though it looks like a $20 chair (I think she paid 60 for it at staples, she wanted something firm for her back). In retrospect I think I'd have been more comfortable in that. Although my big leather chair does look pretty important-looking ;)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Funky Office Chairs
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 08:38:39 »
Quote from: wellington1869;12515
Do those attach to the underside of existing legs or do you remove existing legs and substitute these?

I think you have to remove the existing legs. They mount to the desk with five screws like the other VIKA legs. I don't know if the holes will line up though.