Author Topic: [GB] R3 Purple Zealio Switches (100% complete)  (Read 169974 times)

Offline spwath

What do you think, would it be possible to take an RGB light strip, remove all the LED's, and solder these ones on in the switch?

Offline kawasaki161

What do you think, would it be possible to take an RGB light strip, remove all the LED's, and solder these ones on in the switch?

I don't quite get what you want to do. Do you want to use the LED strip as a sort of matrix to control the in-switch RGB LED's? If yes this might be possible, but since the switches are already transparent you could just place the RGB strip under them and you have RGB backlight.

Offline a-c

I don't quite get what you want to do. Do you want to use the LED strip as a sort of matrix to control the in-switch RGB LED's? If yes this might be possible, but since the switches are already transparent you could just place the RGB strip under them and you have RGB backlight.

Works with regular Gateron's. Would work better with the clear Zealios. http://imgur.com/a/nSukI

Offline spwath

Yeah, but i got the milky bottom zealio, so it wouldent work that well. I tested, it works OK, but not that bright

Offline Gengarfan

Hey zeal, just wanted to know if I can add another 20 62g zealios and 80 78g zealios to my order? My order number is 3674. Thanks!

Edit: could I add 20 of the 65g plate mount as well?
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2016, 15:19:43 by Gengarfan »

Offline dsm_mike

Any plans for clicky switches in the future?

Idea has been scrapped for the time being due to cost issues. There is a mod you can do which I call "Zealiostotles" which uses Aristotle stems inside Zealio housings. The tactile bump is very satisfying, and the click is super crisp.
Will you have the Aristotle switches back in stock soon, or should I look to scavange?
Thx

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Hey zeal, just wanted to know if I can add another 20 62g zealios and 80 78g zealios to my order? My order number is 3674. Thanks!

Would be best for you to re-place your order with all the switches checked-out at once. Will cancel and issue a refund for your order shortly after this post.

Idea has been scrapped for the time being due to cost issues. There is a mod you can do which I call "Zealiostotles" which uses Aristotle stems inside Zealio housings. The tactile bump is very satisfying, and the click is super crisp.
Will you have the Aristotle switches back in stock soon, or should I look to scavange?
Thx

Will look at sourcing a few new old stock aristotles...They're getting harder to source as stock gets depleted.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Gengarfan

Would be best for you to re-place your order with all the switches checked-out at once. Will cancel and issue a refund for your order shortly after this post.

Thx

Will look at sourcing a few new old stock aristotles...They're getting harder to source as stock gets depleted.

Thanks! Any idea how long it will be before the funds are back in my account?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Thx

Thanks! Any idea how long it will be before the funds are back in my account?

Usually within 2-4 business days. If paid via PayPal funds, it's immediate.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
Ordered! (again) Took the 78g leap!

Thanks Zeal! 

Offline ileben

Or I could feelios the filco...

Do the Filco, we want to see that  :thumb:

Here's mine
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline krisst

Here's mine
Show Image

Looking good. I am using a full size now. Only mech kb, so I might consider modding this filco after whitefox is completed.

Offline fuzzycuffs

Are there *any* PCBs with 4pin RGB LED holes?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Are there *any* PCBs with 4pin RGB LED holes?

There are a few "gaming" mass produced boards that use them.

Aftermarket PCBs for enthusiasts are currently being designed to support 4-pin RGB LEDs.

Offline GiveCandyy

Here's mine
Show Image

Which zealios did you use. I am contemplating on doing it to my filco.  :-[ Anyone know if the price of my pink filco would change if I zealio it? Was thinking of maybe selling it later.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:59:57 by GiveCandyy »
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline GiveCandyy

such hard decisions.
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline tmk1207

• Yêu Màu Tím
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
Hi Zeal,

Please check your pm :D.

Offline ileben

Here's mine
Show Image

Which zealios did you use. I am contemplating on doing it to my filco.  :-[ Anyone know if the price of my pink filco would change if I zealio it? Was thinking of maybe selling it later.

I ordered 100 of 65g and 20 each of 62g and 67g. I did bottom alpha row 62g, middle row 65g, top row 67g, and the rest 65g for comparison. My final assessment is that the 65g is the most middle if the road, which could possibly be for whoever can't decide, but ultimately is also the least interesting switch to me. 62g is cool because it's so very tactile, yet so very light, so it would be great for gaming (for me personally), while 67g gives me similar feeling to typing on a 55g Topre but with the hard bottom out that I generally love in MX (when I type really fast, at slower speeds the difference is much more obvious). 67g is divine for typing.

On the other hand, my main issue with the switches is how wobbly they are, compared to Cherry. This diminishes the experience somewhat for me personally, so I still can't call it the endgame switch. If I could combine the solid stability of Cherry Brown with smoothness and tactility of Zealios, that would be the perfect switch for me.  Also, the bottom out is a little more muted than Cherry, I would guess because the cleartop plastic is softer and less sturdy than the opaque black one, but I'm undecided whether I actually prefer that or not.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2016, 06:38:26 by ileben »
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline kawasaki161

I just decided that I'd like to add some lube to my order, do I just do it like last time, order them and write a note so you refund the shipping and ship it together with the other order or do you prefer a different way this time?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I just decided that I'd like to add some lube to my order, do I just do it like last time, order them and write a note so you refund the shipping and ship it together with the other order or do you prefer a different way this time?

You can any of the following:

Place a lube order, mention your other order and I'll refund shipping
Send $10 to my email under the order confirmation, reference the lube for your order
I can cancel your current one and issue a full refund. You can then place your new updated order

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Quick update:

Just had a word with Gateron, and the completion of Zealios will be pushed back about 2 weeks, around the end of June instead of mid-June. There are seriously way too many vacation days in Asia...Dragon Boat Festival... *sigh*.
As always, I'll be placing my order shortly ahead of the GB end date to speed up production. Switch weight variants will then be capped based on the figures I've ordered. Don't wait til last moment to place your order, as your particular weight may be sold out!

Will also be visiting Gateron again early June and working on some new projects. Stay tuned™. Q3/Q4 2016 will be a wallethack year.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
Quick update:

Just had a word with Gateron, and the completion of Zealios will be pushed back about 2 weeks, around the end of June instead of mid-June. There are seriously way too many vacation days in Asia...Dragon Boat Festival... *sigh*.
As always, I'll be placing my order shortly ahead of the GB end date to speed up production. Switch weight variants will then be capped based on the figures I've ordered. Don't wait til last moment to place your order, as your particular weight may be sold out!

Will also be visiting Gateron again early June and working on some new projects. Stay tuned™. Q3/Q4 2016 will be a wallethack year.

Transparent /Clear stabs?  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Which weight is everyone ordering? What does every one like? i currently use mx blues and i like the clickyness to them? Any insight would be great!

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Which weight has the strongest and most noticable "bump"?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

67g has the most defined bump, while 65g has a more "drawn-out" bump.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers

67g has the most defined bump, while 65g has a more "drawn-out" bump.

Perfect Thank you!

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
So i pretty much want to use this board for gaming such as CSGO and random other games which zealio would you recommend? the 78g intrigues me however im concerned about it being way to heavy.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
So i pretty much want to use this board for gaming such as CSGO and random other games which zealio would you recommend? the 78g intrigues me however im concerned about it being way to heavy.

65g for a good middle ground for gaming/typing, 67g if you prefer to feel more bump. It's all personal preference, and how hard you type.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Thanks just ordered 80 67g and 10 78g!!! Cant wait i hope gateron picks up the pace! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline biocalves

I see that some people are saying that Zealios tend to be a little wobbly compared to Cherry's and Gat's. Has anyone used switch stickers or Polycarbonate's from zennas' GB to see if it makes any difference?

Offline kawasaki161

I see that some people are saying that Zealios tend to be a little wobbly compared to Cherry's and Gat's. Has anyone used switch stickers or Polycarbonate's from zennas' GB to see if it makes any difference?

The wobble is not caused by bad fitment between the housings. The fitment between the housings is even better than on Cherry switches imho, so that stickers would be useless.

Offline biocalves

The wobble is not caused by bad fitment between the housings. The fitment between the housings is even better than on Cherry switches imho, so that stickers would be useless.

Thanks for the clarification! Where is the supposed wobble coming from then?

Offline tofgerl

The only wobble I feel is due to using SA profile caps.

Offline Gengarfan

Hey Zeal, since you are doing the proxy for the Triviumtek Lustro would you be able to ship zealios and the case at the same time so I could save a bit on shipping?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Hey Zeal, since you are doing the proxy for the Triviumtek Lustro would you be able to ship zealios and the case at the same time so I could save a bit on shipping?

Yes, that can be arranged. Place your order for the Zealios first, then once you've paid for the Lustro/Weaven R2, send me an email and reference your Order #. I'll then adjust the shipping invoice for the keyboard afterwards.

Offline Antacs

65g for a good middle ground for gaming/typing, 67g if you prefer to feel more bump. It's all personal preference, and how hard you type.
Which bump is the most distinct compared to the 78g switch? That's what I have on my ErgoDox and want to try something different.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Which bump is the most distinct compared to the 78g switch? That's what I have on my ErgoDox and want to try something different.

67g has the most defined tactile bump of the 4 variants.

Offline Bit_Agent

Please order in multiples of 10 to make my life easier.

Multiples of 10 for your order total or is that per switch type? For example could I order 5x62g, 5x65g, 5x67g, and 5x78g for a total of 20 switches or would I have to order 10x of each for a total of 40 switches. I'm guessing it's the later but I thought I'd ask. I'd like to make a sampler pack for myself since there are no more R2 sampler packs available. Maybe there will be an R3 sampler kit that I can wait for instead?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Please order in multiples of 10 to make my life easier.

Multiples of 10 for your order total or is that per switch type? For example could I order 5x62g, 5x65g, 5x67g, and 5x78g for a total of 20 switches or would I have to order 10x of each for a total of 40 switches. I'm guessing it's the later but I thought I'd ask. I'd like to make a sampler pack for myself since there are no more R2 sampler packs available. Maybe there will be an R3 sampler kit that I can wait for instead?

Would much prefer multiples of 10 per weight, but will still accept 20 switch orders.

Sampler pack will go up once the switches come in.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
Just built up my Leeku CPSQ with 65g Zealios.  Holy smokes!  This is by far the best typing experience I've had.  I have a set of 78g's on order for Round 3 and I'm stoked!  They'll be pared with my Duck Octagon V2 when it comes in...  I pound on my keyboard pretty hard so I'm excited for the tough bottom out.  But I just wanted to take a second and thank you Zeal for this amazing contribution.  I wish I would have taken the plunge with your switches earlier, as they're absolutely a pleasure to use.  I even have one on a keychain so I can click away when I'm out and about haha.  Thanks man!

Board here:
CPSQ on Imgur

Offline Gengarfan

Just built up my Leeku CPSQ with 65g Zealios.  Holy smokes!  This is by far the best typing experience I've had.  I have a set of 78g's on order for Round 3 and I'm stoked!  They'll be pared with my Duck Octagon V2 when it comes in...  I pound on my keyboard pretty hard so I'm excited for the tough bottom out.  But I just wanted to take a second and thank you Zeal for this amazing contribution.  I wish I would have taken the plunge with your switches earlier, as they're absolutely a pleasure to use.  I even have one on a keychain so I can click away when I'm out and about haha.  Thanks man!

Board here:
CPSQ on Imgur

Beautiful board! Can't wait to put mine in my ZZ96  :thumb:

Offline jjnist

Hey Zeal just wondering when the early buyers in this round can expect shipment? Middle of the month?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Hey Zeal just wondering when the early buyers in this round can expect shipment? Middle of the month?

Will keep you posted once Gateron's getting closer to completing manufacturing. Rough estimate right now is later half of June to the end of June. In the past 2 buys, I've always fulfilled all the orders within 2 weeks, so you can be reassured that your order will be fulfilled promptly.

Offline maximm

After playing around with the switches at home for a week i decided to go for 62g and 67g. Why anyone would like the almost linear 65g is beyond me but each to his own. The 67 has an amazing thump, and the 62g is so smooth it feels lighter than the Gateron brown. The brown feels like sand paper after using the 62g, but a lubed brown with 62g springs feels just as good or even better if you take into account the wobble the zealios come with. How it affects typing i dont know, since i have only tried one switch at a time in my hand from the sampler.

Go with the 67g or 62g. The 78g feels much like the 65g but with a bit more tactile feedback - pretty good, but not close to the 62/67 combo.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
After playing around with the switches at home for a week i decided to go for 62g and 67g. Why anyone would like the almost linear 65g is beyond me but each to his own. The 67 has an amazing thump, and the 62g is so smooth it feels lighter than the Gateron brown. The brown feels like sand paper after using the 62g, but a lubed brown with 62g springs feels just as good or even better if you take into account the wobble the zealios come with. How it affects typing i dont know, since i have only tried one switch at a time in my hand from the sampler.

Go with the 67g or 62g. The 78g feels much like the 65g but with a bit more tactile feedback - pretty good, but not close to the 62/67 combo.

To each their own, which is why these 4 switch weight variants are offered. :)

Offline tkpresent

Just wondering when the deadline is...?
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline krisst

"Pre-order will be open until May 31, 2016 11:59:59pm PDT. Pre-order date subject to close earlier without notice. Estimated ship date from the factory is late June. Orders are fulfilled based on a first-to-order basis."

It is on the pre-order page. https://zealpc.net/collections/group-buy-pre-orders/products/zealio

Offline tkpresent

"Pre-order will be open until May 31, 2016 11:59:59pm PDT. Pre-order date subject to close earlier without notice. Estimated ship date from the factory is late June. Orders are fulfilled based on a first-to-order basis."

It is on the pre-order page. https://zealpc.net/collections/group-buy-pre-orders/products/zealio

Oops, I missed it.
Thanks!
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline Pestik

I'm pretty new to DIY keyboard stuff and this is probably a dumb question, but does the latest revision of the Planck keyboard kit from Massdrop support RGB LEDs? Still waiting for mine to arrive, looking forward to decking it out with Zealios (assuming I don't melt them by accident when trying to solder).

Offline krisst

I'm pretty new to DIY keyboard stuff and this is probably a dumb question, but does the latest revision of the Planck keyboard kit from Massdrop support RGB LEDs? Still waiting for mine to arrive, looking forward to decking it out with Zealios (assuming I don't melt them by accident when trying to solder).

In-switch RGB LEDs? Nope. You will need both switch and pcb to be able to support the 4 legs of the RGB LEDs. Zealios switch is able to support. The latest Planck pcb do not have the 4 pin holes required.