Author Topic: Microsoft natural tenkeyless  (Read 2709 times)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Microsoft natural tenkeyless
« on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 07:39:35 »
I'm just wondering if we could persuade MS to drop the numpad off the natural (and maybe improve the rubber domes at the same time).

Yes, I know it's rubber dome and it feels horrible, but we could do at least some good.  We seem to get a lot of new members looking to upgrade from one of these things.  If it didn't have the numpad, then we'd still get the new members looking for advice, but at least their right shoulder wouldn't be playing them up as much...

I'm no good with photoshop, so I haven't tried.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38936[/ATTACH]  
Would someone mind doing the honours?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 08:28:19 »
We geekhackers are busily convincing Filco and Topre to lower down their prices, and pushing Unicomp for a tenkeyless version.

If they will, geekhackers would buy a Filco or Unicomp tenkeyless and leave Microsoft natural keyboards alone.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 08:31:20 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline erw

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 10:22:39 »
I just made this in GIMP:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38942[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 11:09:58 »
Quote from: Tony;502279
We geekhackers are busily convincing Filco and Topre to lower down their prices, and pushing Unicomp for a tenkeyless version.

If they will, geekhackers would buy a Filco or Unicomp tenkeyless and leave Microsoft natural keyboards alone.

It's a good point.  If Unicomp ever produce a tenkeyless, then I'll buy one - might as well since I asked them to like everyone else.

It's more that thousands of other people use one of those dratted keyboards, if we could help all of them a just a little, then we'd probably do more for humanity with that than by answering the 'what keyboard should I get' questions.  Don't get me wrong, I love suggesting that new members buy a kinesis advantage.  The issues with the MS natural seem to be giving geekhack a steady stream of new members who stay for the long haul - I was one of them.

I still think it's a worthwhile goal.  I also think it'll be a difficult goal to achieve - far too many people are unwilling to give up the numpad that they don't use or use rarely - even if their shoulder hurts.  But if MS makes the change, it would be easier for other manufacturers to make their keyboards tenkeyless and going tkl should cut their costs.  

It might be easier to convince logitech to change - they already have a few expensive keyboards without a numpad.

Erw - nice work.  Makes me wish I had a bit more talent (okay, some talent).

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 15:22:26 »
I still have one of those boards. They key feeling on that board is absolutely terrible. The best rubber dome board I've ever used also happens to have been a Natural board:

The new 4000 series is atrocious though.

Offline Tony

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:34:03 »
I think pushing Unicomp is much easier than pushing Microsoft. If we cannot push Unicomp, how could we do against big giant Microsoft?

Humanity will have to wait.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline DWishR

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 23:44:47 »
Maybe this?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38984[/ATTACH]

There's gotta be a thread around here somewhere...

Offline flyball

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 01:14:03 »
Quote from: DWishR;502934
Maybe this?

(Attachment Link) 38984[/ATTACH]

There's gotta be a thread around here somewhere...
ergo keyboard forum...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 01:17:51 »
That's a great idea.  I'll add matrix layout to the list.  Thanks!

Offline flyball

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 01:26:28 »
there's also a tenkeyless ms natural mod in the modifications forum and a half-done mechanical switch swap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]