Author Topic: What are topre switches?  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Metum7

What are topre switches?
« on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 13:36:50 »
It's all in the title. I just wanted to ask what exactly topre switches are. My current understanding is:

1. They are technically a rubber dome switch, although
2. they are much more tactile
3. A lot of people say things about it, but idk

anyways, thanks

Offline Findecanor

Re: What are topre switches?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 14:02:50 »
Yep. Rubber dome, but uses capacitive sensing in a way that avoids a mushy bottom (which most full-travel rubber dome-on-membrane keyboards suffer from).

There are other rubber dome keyboards that are just as or more tactile. There are also third-party replacement dome sheets for Topre that would make them even more tactile (or have other properties), if you'd wish to customise them.

The tactility is like other rubber domes and not like tactile mechanical switches. But they are high-quality luxurious-feeling rubber dome switches, IMHO. Smooth, stabilised and crisp.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 November 2022, 14:04:42 by Findecanor »

Offline Metum7

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 15:09:08 »
Ok, thanks.

2 things. In your opinion, would you recommend them over regular tactile mechanical switches, and 2, since I'm planning on building a board, how compatible are they with other mx style things, especially on the topic of pins on the bottom and things.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 15:23:53 »
many people reccomend them over mx tactiles. topre doesn't work with either mx pcbs stabilisers or keycaps even though it can be modded to support mx keycaps
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 November 2022, 10:52:20 »
Topre switches benefit from being naturally silenced when the switch bottoms out. However, in order to silence them on the upstroke you need to install tiny silencing rings. It is a royal pain to do so, but it is completely worth it, IMO. Some Topre boards come with this mod factory installed (usually branded as S-type boards where the "S" presumably means "silenced").

As mentioned, Topre boards use their own switch stems that only take their own keycaps. For a while they made a keyboard called the Realforce RGB which had MX-compatible stems, and I grabbed up a few of these because I have so many keycap sets I like putting on Topre switches. CoolerMaster also once had a product called the NovaTouch which was a Topre-licensed TKL board with MX-compatible stems. I have a few of these as well.

To my mind, Topre is the gold standard for tactile switches. If you are okay being limited to the stock Topre keycaps and the higher price tag of Topre keyboards, then I think you will fall in love with them too. If not, then there are mechanical switches with a similar tactile profile, but they aren't as quiet (i.e., they don't "thock"). I really like Gateron's BBK (baby kangaroo) switches and to me they feel very similar to Topre, but they don't thock unless a lot of special effort is made to silence the board itself internally.

Offline selsik

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 01:12:05 »
Superiority.

I love rotating around my mx based keyboards but I always end up doing the heavy lifting with a Topre. They are nothing short of perfect. For typing, design, coding, etc.

MX is nice and all, but it's no Topre.
Topre >>> MX

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 14:02:04 »
Topre is basically the best tactile switch ever made (with buckling springs). Its a definition of tactility I would say.
Of course this is always a preference and matter of opinion, but as far as I saw on keyboard forums in last 15 years, 99% of people who tried topre, liked it or even loved it.
I sometimes have a feeling I would like to go back to MX switches, but after a short period I go back to topre.
Topre has its unique tactility, feeling and sound. You can mod it with silencing rings, lube, housing/pcb stickers etc
Years ago we were restricted to topre caps only, then Novatouch came out, so we have modded our Realforce keyboards with Novatouch sliders to be able to use MX keycaps. Now, Deskeys provided same sliders and everyone can now mod topre keyboard to use their beloved mx keycaps, so practically, you can have topre switches with any keycaps on market.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2022, 14:05:52 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 15:08:04 »
the GOAT

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 15:32:35 »
In your opinion, would you recommend them over regular tactile mechanical switches
Keyboard feel is subjective. If you like rubber domes, many say that Topre are the best-feeling rubber domes.

If by "regular tactile mechanical switch" you mean "brown" Cherry MX-type/like switches, then there are many other MX-type switches that are more tactile, and thus provide more feedback when you type. But those others are not as widely known outside enthusiast circles.
My own favourite is Cherry MX Clear, but that is very personal.
Others love the Holy Panda (and the Glorious and Feker Panda).

since I'm planning on building a board, how compatible are they with other mx style things, especially on the topic of pins on the bottom and things.
You can't put them into keyboards or PCBs made for Cherry MX. They are only available in keyboards made with them, which have PCBs with capacitive sensing.

The Realforce RGB (discontinued?) and the CoolerMaster Novatouch (long discontinued) did take the same keycaps as Cherry MX. There are also replacement sliders for Topre keyboards to make them take MX keycaps but I am not sure they will fit every key on every keyboard model with Topre switches.

By the way, there are also some keyboards with clones of Topre switches, that have with sliders that take MX keycaps: Niz keyboards with "EC" switches, and a couple discontinued models from Noppoo and Royal Kludge (gotta love that name ...)
I have not tried any of those myself, so I don't know how they compare.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2022, 03:55:09 by Findecanor »