Author Topic: Cool keyboard mod  (Read 3752 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cool keyboard mod
« on: Tue, 25 September 2007, 02:16:02 »
http://www.kbdmania.net/board/zboard.php?id=user_review&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=hit&desc=desc&no=922

A HHKB Pro 1 put into an old school Alps Apple adjustable Keyboard (I have always wanted one of those).

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 September 2007, 04:15:16 »
Very very impressive.

Offline dougy

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 November 2008, 17:15:21 »
Assuming anyone is still watching this thread.....
I'm intrigued. If one wanted to do this with Cherry blues what would be the least expensive keyboard to use for the parts?

Offline zwmalone

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 November 2008, 17:30:04 »
Quote from: dougy;11001
Assuming anyone is still watching this thread.....
I'm intrigued. If one wanted to do this with Cherry blues what would be the least expensive keyboard to use for the parts?

If you are just going to use it for parts, the iOne Scorpius M10 is the cheapest Cherry Blue keyboard you are going to find.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 November 2008, 20:30:34 »
I'm glad you were following this thread — since I forgot about this thread, I've owned an Apple Adjustable. The way those switches are put together is quite similar to a Cherry MY switch. God, no wonder it feels like poo.

Offline dougy

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 November 2008, 20:50:01 »
I'm new to this xsphat, is the MY the black linear? I've always had crappy keyboards, in terms of switches anyway. But the Apple with a slight splay and the massive space bar were always the most comfortable to use. I have 4, all in various stages of failure. Its never seemed worthwhile to repair the problems, but to upgrade the switches for $60 seems like a doable idea.

Offline fkeidjn

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 November 2008, 00:00:32 »
Quote from: dougy;11008
I'm new to this xsphat, is the MY the black linear? I've always had crappy keyboards, in terms of switches anyway. But the Apple with a slight splay and the massive space bar were always the most comfortable to use. I have 4, all in various stages of failure. Its never seemed worthwhile to repair the problems, but to upgrade the switches for $60 seems like a doable idea.

The MY has the feel of a black linear Cherry, but I think it's a membrane.  Correct me if I'm wrong
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline fkeidjn

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 November 2008, 00:01:43 »
Another thing, I thought the metal leaf sheets are the ones that actuate the keyswitch.  However, I see the removal of them in the picture?  I'm confused.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline lowpoly

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 November 2008, 04:00:10 »
It looks like he used the switches of the apple and wired them to a HHKB Lite2 controller. Very well done if this is true. Did anyone manage to translate the page?

I'd really like to know how he made that label.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline dougy

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 November 2008, 18:33:02 »
Good idea about translating lowpoly. Now I just need someone to translate Google's translation. Korean > English provided a cryptic attempt, but not much information. I think the mod was done to win a prize of some sort, he used the HHKB Lite2 control and usb while apparently jumper wiring all the existing keys. Cherry keys a mentioned several times, and there is an implication that they were substituted, but the switches look identical to the Alps.

Offline dougy

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 09:12:53 »
Found a description of the switches used on the original keyboard. "Alps spherical white axial switch (Soft Tactile)". The pc boards are also labeled Alps. The boards themselves are thicker than a normal board, double sided, with a white core somewhat of a foam. The top of the board does not appear to be used as a conductor, but is a ground. Is RFI really an issue for a keyboard?

Offline lowpoly

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 14:32:01 »
Quote from: dougy;11177
The pc boards are also labeled Alps.

LOL

Quote from: dougy;11177
The top of the board does not appear to be used as a conductor, but is a ground.

On my new Cherry G80 the complete top of the pcb is copper.

Thanks for translating.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline dougy

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 20:05:55 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;11015
Another thing, I thought the metal leaf sheets are the ones that actuate the keyswitch.  However, I see the removal of them in the picture?  I'm confused.
The little leaf spring he is holding is the tactile part of the switch. It rides against the back edge of the white actuator, when the edge of the actuator goes over the springs hump you get the tactile feel. I tried altering the leaf to get more "feel" but the result was marginal. The switch is activated by 2 lumps on the front face of the actuator. They hold the contacts normally open, when the lumps are pushed down the contacts close.

Offline lam47

Cool keyboard mod
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 20:11:30 »
Thats very cool.
Why is the USB hole such a mess though?
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3