Author Topic: Realforce 86 (space saver model)  (Read 41264 times)

Offline zetan

Realforce 86 (space saver model)
« on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 01:29:42 »
Anyone had a chance to try this http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1208689591 ?

It's the Realforce model only sold in Korea (not even in Japan) and I'm dying to
lay my hands on it (don't know if they sell it internationally though).

It looks somewhat like HHK Pro2 black but I wonder if different key lightness
yields a positive difference in practice.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 02:24:56 »
That is pretty cool, if anyone knows of an export company from Korea, please let us know.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 02:34:13 »
Quote from: xsphat;5079
That is pretty cool, if anyone knows of an export company from Korea, please let us know.

write me in the waiting list too :)

Offline Korbin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 09:42:49 »
Wow, yeah that looks pretty nice.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 11:13:29 »
Things like this only exist to piss me off.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 11:26:55 »
That's a sweet-looking keyboard.  Is the option of a red "Esc" key a purely Japanese thing?  Is there any purpose to it other than making the keyboard look a bit more interesting?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 12:26:27 »
I agree with xsphat, its amazing to me that these keyboards exist but not available here in the states. Its like I am outside the candy store looking through the glass....

It would be nice if someone like Newegg would step up to the plate and offer keyboards like the above mentioned, along with the HHKB, Cherry's etc.
It disappoints me that the US is limited to MS natural keyboards and other membrane type keyboards....Thankfully there is Unicomp.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline jemkeys

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 14:20:48 »
I can't find anyone else (in real life) who likes keyboards as much as I do.  You'd think that if there was a market for these keyboards anywhere, it'd be the US.  But for some reason, that's not the case.

Anyone searching for just about any high-end keyboard on google would inevitably find this forum.  Yet there's only 152 members here.  I wonder if that's any kind of a sample of US interest.

I'm in the same boat as you, bigpook.  I can't believe that in the US, where just about everybody has a computer, there is not more of a demand for these keyboards.

Offline sjb37

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 15:01:53 »
Quote from: jemkeys;5092

I'm in the same boat as you, bigpook.  I can't believe that in the US, where just about everybody has a computer, there is not more of a demand for these keyboards.

I agree, it is surprising, really, that as a culture we prize the biggest/most expensive/exclusive yada yada things : )
You see it with cars, houses and clothes, plastic surgery and dental care.
On computers there is a fair amount of interest in mice and monitors, but for some reason the keyboard gets short shrift.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 16:47:47 »
Quote from: jemkeys;5092
I can't find anyone else (in real life) who likes keyboards as much as I do.  You'd think that if there was a market for these keyboards anywhere, it'd be the US.  But for some reason, that's not the case.

Anyone searching for just about any high-end keyboard on google would inevitably find this forum.  Yet there's only 152 members here.  I wonder if that's any kind of a sample of US interest.

Like yourself, I find it hard to believe myself. Especially with as many IT workers there are in this country. It completely amazes me on the smaller number of options that available for the one electronic device that people likely spend more time with then their families (IT workers).

When I was in Japan a few years go, it's COMPLETELY obvious that they are in tuned with electrionics and it's not just a stereotype that we have about japanese way of life. When I was riding on the subway you could see grandmothers sending text messages on their cell phones (as an american this was the funnies thing to see).

I can only assume this is the reason why Asia has more options when it comes to eletronics... namely computer keyboards.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 17:09:46 »
Quote from: bigpook;5094
I agree, it is surprising, really, that as a culture we prize the biggest/most expensive/exclusive yada yada things : )
You see it with cars, houses and clothes, plastic surgery and dental care.
On computers there is a fair amount of interest in mice and monitors, but for some reason the keyboard gets short shrift.

Nah Americans seem to get the biggest stuff
So if you think keyboards then it would have to be the biggest keyboard therefore full size.

If you take that analogy further, Americans of old did not care for smaller more versatile cars before, e.g. honda civic, ford focus, which if you think about it are more better driving cars than their heavier bigger saloon bigger brothers e.g. accord, mondeo. These cars have more "features" but do not get the basics driving as good as the smaller cars. This goes with keyboards where the more "keys" the better, without a second thought about how good each key feels beneath the finger. So you start to see these keyboards grow multimedia and macro keys which are convenient but are not necessary to typing experience.

Basically a largish proportion(over 50%) of Americans do not value quality goods, otherwise people would be spend much less money on Chinese goods. And this is not just an American idealism anymore, the rest of the world has this problem. Niches are no longer filled they are ignored or worked around.

The problem is people have become too reliant on numbers, you see this everywhere, where numbers are used to provide a tangible or physical means of being measured. E.g. car size, engine size, camera megapixels, keyboard keys, screen size, cpu speed, etc

They make it easier to compare different products and services, but they do not allow people to compare intangible feelings like, feel (using a keyboard), work flow (no number pad so i can move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse faster), experience (hearing keys so i can respond quicker to typing and type faster by not bottoming out my keyboard), robustness (feels like a tank, therefore i believe it should last like a tank, no need for warranty with these sorts of things)

This is the type of intangible qualities people are beginning to ignore because it cannot be translated into words as easily and reviewers put much more emphasis on stuff they can compare and not on what they believe to be unimportant and not worth the cost. Look at the many reviews who look at DAS keyboards and the hhkb pro2 look at their shocked expressions at the price of the keyboard, they often think the cost of the board is to do with the blank keys (which actually are more likely to reduce the cost rather than increase it) as they believe it is a keyboard used to help people to touch type. But actually the cost is for the special key switches which they do not value, and say "it has a nice action" and leave a one line comment.

With people relying on reviews more than ever before the whole world will start to lose quality products because they are not understood. The only products today where intangibles are more stronger than ever are in fashion, but then girls are always more in tune with their intangible side than ever from where there's an extra inch of sleave to positioning of the bag strap to the bag. Now think for a moment and consider everything you've bought
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline nrp

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 17:37:31 »
If anyone finds out how to bring one of these to US, please post here.

Thanks.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 18:31:25 »
Quote from: Eclairz;5097
Nah Americans seem to get the biggest stuff
So if you think keyboards then it would have to be the biggest keyboard therefore full size.

If you take that analogy further, Americans of old did not care for smaller more versatile cars before, e.g. honda civic, ford focus, which if you think about it are more better driving cars than their heavier bigger saloon bigger brothers e.g. accord, mondeo. These cars have more "features" but do not get the basics driving as good as the smaller cars. This goes with keyboards where the more "keys" the better, without a second thought about how good each key feels beneath the finger. So you start to see these keyboards grow multimedia and macro keys which are convenient but are not necessary to typing experience.

Basically a largish proportion(over 50%) of Americans do not value quality goods, otherwise people would be spend much less money on Chinese goods. And this is not just an American idealism anymore, the rest of the world has this problem. Niches are no longer filled they are ignored or worked around.

The problem is people have become too reliant on numbers, you see this everywhere, where numbers are used to provide a tangible or physical means of being measured. E.g. car size, engine size, camera megapixels, keyboard keys, screen size, cpu speed, etc

They make it easier to compare different products and services, but they do not allow people to compare intangible feelings like, feel (using a keyboard), work flow (no number pad so i can move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse faster), experience (hearing keys so i can respond quicker to typing and type faster by not bottoming out my keyboard), robustness (feels like a tank, therefore i believe it should last like a tank, no need for warranty with these sorts of things)

This is the type of intangible qualities people are beginning to ignore because it cannot be translated into words as easily and reviewers put much more emphasis on stuff they can compare and not on what they believe to be unimportant and not worth the cost. Look at the many reviews who look at DAS keyboards and the hhkb pro2 look at their shocked expressions at the price of the keyboard, they often think the cost of the board is to do with the blank keys (which actually are more likely to reduce the cost rather than increase it) as they believe it is a keyboard used to help people to touch type. But actually the cost is for the special key switches which they do not value, and say "it has a nice action" and leave a one line comment.

With people relying on reviews more than ever before the whole world will start to lose quality products because they are not understood. The only products today where intangibles are more stronger than ever are in fashion, but then girls are always more in tune with their intangible side than ever from where there's an extra inch of sleave to positioning of the bag strap to the bag. Now think for a moment and consider everything you've bought

Sorry for the massive quote, but well said Eclairz.

Offline djones

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 June 2008, 18:55:11 »
whoa, this is exactly the keyboard I was looking for in this thread: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=473

But I don't see it on diatec's site...
http://www.diatec.co.jp
?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 02:30:36 »
What's the connection between Diatec, Filco and Topre? Is Diatec the Japanese distributor for both companies?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 02:33:42 »
Quote from: sofa king;5113
What's the connection between Diatec, Filco and Topre? Is Diatec the Japanese distributor for both companies?

That's my guess too, but I have no idea if it's right. Reading Engrish translations makes the writer in me die a little every time, so I haven't read up on it.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 02:59:40 »
Quote from: xsphat;5114
That's my guess too, but I have no idea if it's right. Reading Engrish translations makes the writer in me die a little every time, so I haven't read up on it.

Taken from their site: "FILCO" is the registered trade mark of DIATEC Corporation.

It seems to me, that Topre, a company which makes a lot of things (many of which industrial)  uses DIATEC to sell their computer components, which still doesn't make any sense for me..

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 04:06:47 »
So they produce Filco and sell Topre - what I'd consider as competition - too? You're right, it doesn't make any sense.

So who is going to contact Diatec about the 86? And who is going to contact Leopold? Leopold actually is a german name so maybe I should contact them.

Still not sure if I can justify the cost though, esp. with the nice transparent cover and the hand rest. Which I couldn't justify for the HHKB either. Which I regret now.

Offline djones

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 04:51:51 »
Quote from: sashomasho;5115
Taken from their site: "FILCO" is the registered trade mark of DIATEC Corporation.

It seems to me, that Topre, a company which makes a lot of things (many of which industrial)  uses DIATEC to sell their computer components, which still doesn't make any sense for me..

Yes, Filco is a registered trademark of diatech and their own product. Topre is another company and diatech is one of their many retailers: http://www.topre.co.jp/products/comp/key_shop.html (a list of topre retailers, in japanese). I just remembered that I can read/write japanese so I'll look into some of the online resellers and see if any of them have the topre 86 yet (and if any of them have lower prices on existing boards). Note that it's not at all uncommon for a manufacturer to not have a retail branch...

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 05:13:47 »
Quote from: djones;5117
I just remembered that I can read/write japanese so I'll look into some of the online resellers and see if any of them have the topre 86 yet (and if any of them have lower prices on existing boards). Note that it's not at all uncommon for a manufacturer to not have a retail branch...

You just remembered? This made my day :) So you are our hope, or we can say - the chosen one :) This keyboard is what I was dreaming of - hhkb keys, ibm model m spacesaver layout... i just realized, i need this keyboard badly :(

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 05:18:04 »
I just don't understand Diatec selling the products of a direct competitor.

Anyway, I babelfished my way through the Leopold website and contacted them about international sales. I hope. :-)

They call themselves an import/export company so it might work.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 05:34:54 »
Quote from: sofa king;5119
I just don't understand Diatec selling the products of a direct competitor.

They are not in direct competition if you look at a price point of view, the cheapest realforce is more expensive than the top filco models, so probably diatec have decided that selling topre keyboards will not hurt their own sales...

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 05:50:28 »
Now that makes sense.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 08:02:42 »
makes as much sense as Pontiac selling the Toyota Matrix re-branded as the Vibe.  :)

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 09:13:52 »
I was surprised to see the Dell US website selling all kinds of LCD monitors including all the main competitors models.  They don't do that on the UK site.  It must happen all the time though.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 10:13:01 »
Quote from: zetan;5078
Anyone had a chance to try this http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1208689591 ?

It's the Realforce model only sold in Korea (not even in Japan) and I'm dying to
lay my hands on it (don't know if they sell it internationally though).

It looks somewhat like HHK Pro2 black but I wonder if different key lightness
yields a positive difference in practice.

I....want....one.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 10:27:11 »
Quote from: ashort;5124
I....want....one.

I don't necessarily want one.  If it had blue cherrys or buckling springs, that might put me over the edge.  But I, basically, have those same capacitive keyswitches in a form factor I like better. (HHKB Pro, of course)

Does anyone have the dimensions of that board?  I would hope it is significantly smaller than the 84-key spacesaver (model m).

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 10:42:48 »
I prefer the Realforce's more conventional layout.  With the software I use there are already enough keyboard short cuts for me to remember without having to learn new ones, although the HHKB2 Pro is undoubtedly one of the best looking keyboards i've seen.  It must sound superficial of me to want something that looks as good as it performs, but with the price of some of these devices I would expect a little style and flair to be included.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 10:43:54 »
dimensions: 366.0 x 168.5mm = 14.4 x 6.6"

Offline bigpook

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 10:45:30 »
If it had buckling springs it would be a mighty mouse keyboard, no?

The one that unicomp is working on.

Offline iMav

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 11:08:58 »
Quote from: bigpook;5128
If it had buckling springs it would be a mighty mouse keyboard, no?

The one that unicomp is working on.

Well, I'm hoping the new mighty mouse is a BIT smaller than that...much like the old mighty mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great keyboard offering and I certainly hope the folks here that have been waiting for such a beast will soon be able to get their hands on one.  

My layout preference is the HHKB layout.  My second choice is the one featured on the Realforce 86 (as well as many other keyboards...including the Model M's).  I like the blue cherry switches best, followed by buckling springs, and thirdly, the feel of the HHKB Pro.  They are close enough that, currently, the layout of the HHKB is what sways me.  But give me my second favorite layout with the blue cherries, and I may very well be tempted.  :)

Offline djones

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 11:48:18 »
Quote from: sashomasho;5118
You just remembered? This made my day :) So you are our hope, or we can say - the chosen one :) This keyboard is what I was dreaming of - hhkb keys, ibm model m spacesaver layout... i just realized, i need this keyboard badly :(

I forget because I'm almost never at a machine that has Japanese support enabled; and when I look up something that's japanese online, it automatically takes me to the english site, so it never occurs to me that there was, like, a japanese version of the internet out there. I'll look into it when I have more time.

Quote from: iMav;5129
My layout preference is the HHKB layout.  My second choice is the one featured on the Realforce 86 (as well as many other keyboards...including the Model M's).  I like the blue cherry switches best, followed by buckling springs, and thirdly, the feel of the HHKB Pro.

To each his own-- my rank in terms of key feel is 1) hhkb pro II, 2) blue cherries, 3) brown cherries. buckling springs doesn't make it on my list.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 12:43:10 »
Quote from: djones;5131

To each his own-- my rank in terms of key feel is 1) hhkb pro II, 2) blue cherries, 3) brown cherries. buckling springs doesn't make it on my list.

My order is Alps whites, Cherry blues, Topre capacitive, Cherry browns then buckling springs.

Like iMav, I could be swayed by a layout - the Realforce 86 layout. I think this thing rules.

Offline djones

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 13:26:00 »
update:
1) I checked half the stores on the list of japanese topre vendors, none of them have it. I'll pester a few of them to see what's up.
2) It was released for sale in april this year, so it's still very new. I'll ask topre directly if they plan to release it outside korea.

Hopefully it'll be in Japan by July so I can buy it at Akihabara directly when I vist. (Yes, in japan, there is a city where there are dozens of stores where you can buy high quality keyboards at a discount).

Offline objcguy

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 14:38:08 »
I have one of these.

Complaints:
1. pricey: I paid 270,000 KRW, which is roughly $270.
2. no USB port. so you can't plug in your mouse to it.
3. annoying 'windows vista' keycap.

If my main machine were a windows or linux machine I would have kept using HHKP2 but being a programmer using a Macintosh, I use arrow keys A LOT and I didn't like my right pinky got soured at the end of the day.

Offline iMav

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 14:43:01 »
Quote from: objcguy;5139
I have one of these.

Welcome to geekhack objcguy.

Do the keys feel pretty much the same as the HHKB Pro's?  Got any detailed pics?  (saw a few on your blog, but would love to see some high res ones)

I think we have quite a few folks here interested in this keyboard...so expect several questions shortly.  :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 June 2008, 20:27:22 »
Quote from: iMav;5129
Well, I'm hoping the new mighty mouse is a BIT smaller than that...much like the old mighty mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great keyboard offering and I certainly hope the folks here that have been waiting for such a beast will soon be able to get their hands on one.  

My layout preference is the HHKB layout.  My second choice is the one featured on the Realforce 86 (as well as many other keyboards...including the Model M's).  I like the blue cherry switches best, followed by buckling springs, and thirdly, the feel of the HHKB Pro.  They are close enough that, currently, the layout of the HHKB is what sways me.  But give me my second favorite layout with the blue cherries, and I may very well be tempted.  :)

The Realforce 86 is very appealing to me since it closely reminds me of my model m spacesaver. I haven't tried anything with cherry blues yet and looks like the das III would be the one to get when it ships, just because it has cherry blues ( which from what I have been reading here are clicky in nature).

I have yet to make the leap to the HHKB Pro2, so I don't have anything with the capacitve switches yet, but would be very willing to try out the Realforce 86.
I have a HHKB lite and like it enough to bring it to work on occasion, the dedicated arrow keys are a plus, which is one of the things that keeps me from the HHKB Pro 2.

Now if unicomp delivers on the mighty mouse with buckling springs I would be very happy. But it remains to be seen if they actually ship it (I have my doubts).

Offline djones

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 01:01:38 »
From a japanese bulletin board on 5/23/08, by a japanese keyboard fanboy: "韓国で発売した86鍵を日本でも売ってくれってメールしたら発売する予定だからもうちょっと待って". He says he emailed topre and they replied that it will be on sale in japan "shortly".

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 01:05:11 »
That is pretty bad ass. Who's buying one?

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 01:34:50 »
Quote from: xsphat;5175
That is pretty bad ass. Who's buying one?

I really hope that it will be available at benippon anytime soon, I'll definitely take one..

Offline iMav

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 02:40:07 »
Quote from: sashomasho;5176
I really hope that it will be available at benippon anytime soon, I'll definitely take one..

I can confirm that BeNippon does not yet have access to these. . .

"Yes, indeed it is very popular. But unfortunately we have no way to put our hands on it."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 02:41:12 »
Soon iMav, hopefully soon.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 04:20:55 »
Quote from: xsphat;5178
Soon iMav, hopefully soon.

have patience, young paduan :)

when i first saw realforce 89/91 i just hoped that sooner or later the would make one with the english layout... now when they have made it and i know it's selling somwhere there, it becomes more and more difficult to wait and hope...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 04:26:29 »
Quote from: sashomasho;5180
have patience, young paduan

Hey, any true Star Wars geek knows it's spelled padawan ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padawan#Jedi_ranks

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 08:29:23 »
No reply from Leopold yet (and probably won't come).

Offline zetan

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 22:38:34 »
Hmm... can't wait until (early) September when they'll actually release a Realforce space saver model (realforce 86 :) Hope all-key 30g version of Realforce 86 will follow soon after!

Offline zetan

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 22:42:27 »
Quote from: sofa king;5183
No reply from Leopold yet (and probably won't come).

They are all out of stock. Believe me, I checked them all. Better to wait for Realforce 86 that'll be released in Japan instead :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 22:57:56 »
are you sure this is going to happen?