Author Topic: [IC]GMK Triumph Adler [LIVE!!!!]  (Read 176003 times)

Offline blighty

Re: [IC] GMK Triumph Adler [initial mockup is posted!]
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 15:30:58 »
The set is looking good!  I doubt I'd join the buy if it went through MD though (didn't care for my customer service experience with them).  If the set does reach MOQ, hopefully I'll find one in the aftermarket for a not too jacked up in price.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 15:35:54 »
You'll have to note that MD also takes a cut of all sales, thus inflating the final price as well. Maybe see if you can get a tiered pricing with GMK for orders over 250.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 15:37:12 »
You'll have to note that MD also takes a cut of all sales, thus inflating the final price as well. Maybe see if you can get a tiered pricing with GMK for orders over 250.
Their next lowest price is at 400. You're looking at about 10EUR decrease.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 16:15:37 »
MD?: I am still waiting for my most recent buy from them that already has a month delay, while I am reading nasty things for their customer service for other GBs. Do you really want a nice set like this to be sold through that channel? Good luck.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 16:33:20 by ideus »

Offline pasph

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 18:38:03 »
Massdrop? After Granite R2 never again. I'll wait for someone that will resell it
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 19:32:54 »
The set is looking good!  I doubt I'd join the buy if it went through MD though (didn't care for my customer service experience with them).  If the set does reach MOQ, hopefully I'll find one in the aftermarket for a not too jacked up in price.

MD?: I am still waiting for my most recent buy from them that already has a month delay, while I am reading nasty things for their customer service for other GBs. Do you really want a nice set like this to be sold through that channel? Good luck.

Massdrop? After Granite R2 never again. I'll wait for someone that will resell it

Please think long and hard before your decide to work with them. I know this is a very small and vocal sample size but just make sure you get some feedback from others who have worked with them.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #156 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 01:14:38 »
Ive spent about 2k with MD, including graniter2 + extras.
Never had any real issue, that said, still need to count my r2.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 02:27:29 »
For what it's worth, I never had any issues with MD's deliveries or customer service. The fact that the Granite buy had so many separate sets made logistics a giant nightmare, especially having SP producing a huge number of sets with limited facilities and MD needing to hand sort and deliver hundreds of unique set selections.

If this GMK set is going to be one complete set rather than a base set + options, it will surely make logistics easier and delivery faster than Granite. Selling through MD will definitely increase the number of buys versus doing it through GH forums. Therefore, I support going through MD. The caveat of course is that MD will take a small cut, so the cost per set will probably be a little higher. If somehow the buy manages to sell over 1000 sets, maybe that added cost will be offset, with the additional concern that it will take longer for MD to fulfill the larger amount of orders.

Edit: Just had a thought. From what I've seen, GMK sets are usually quite a lot more expensive than SP's (correct me if I'm wrong). So it's likely that using MD may not garner too many sales simply due to the price. So perhaps doing a community/forum-based group buy is the better choice? Now I'm not sure which is the best option.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 January 2015, 02:34:18 by Heliosphere »

Offline honoka

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 03:11:12 »
Teal legends > blue

Offline TBone

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 10:16:30 »
Teal Legends are my vote. And I say to do a regular groupbuy because I'm a GH regular, but I feel like people who are not will be more likely to buy on MD (not being familiar with how GB's are run). I think unless we get vendors to buy large amounts of these on GH, we should do MD.

Offline intelli78

Re: [IC] GMK Triumph Adler [Changes submitted, waiting on final renders]
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:22:09 »
UPDATE 1/18/2015: Feedback has been reviewed and changes have been submitted to GMK. Waiting on final render and pricing. In addition to the AWESOME custom colorway, I think this set will be one of the most thoughtfully and efficiently designed GMK buys ever, from the key selection to the legends to the segmentation of packs. Many, many thanks to Mr. Photekq for his collaboration during this stage. This set has benefitted immeasurably from his help, and I am even more excited about it now than ever before.

As I have emphasized before, please try not to be too disappointed if you don't get exactly what you were hoping for. It is simply impossible to cater to every single layout and preference without overcomplicating the buy and pricing it out of reality. As we have seen with recent Group Buys, right now the market demands LEAN sets that don't break the bank, with a high bang-for-buck. This will be even truer with this set, with an unprecedented 500 MOQ and custom color price premium. This set won't get you 100% coverage on every board ever, but it will get you very close on most boards, easily topped off with a creative novelty or RGB pack. Standard layouts will be fully covered. I will post more about the changes when the renders are ready. Everybody has been very good about compromising and the buy is better off because of it. Thank you  :thumb:

In the meantime I still need someone with authentic TA caps to step up and loan them out. You WILL get them back!  PM ME.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:48:54 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:43:17 »
Why the hell has no one stepped up to deliver ONE cap?
Are they greedy, or have they somehow not seen this thread?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:46:20 »

Probably more to do with the fact that there are very few TA sets out in the wild. Don't think I've ever seen one posted on GH before, last one I saw that was actually owned by someone was over at DT.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline intelli78

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:48:01 »

Very, very few people have one of these. If the cap is lost, you will never find another original to replace it. Combination of those reasons. I don't blame anyone. That said, I hope someone will step up -- but even if not, we will be OK, there are other ways to approximate the color.  :thumb:

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=3hs4nl07hibh1rmj18i6h0i7cjlk1uss&topic=63161.0
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 03:32:05 »
I am totally love this full keyset. It is really nice to put on keyboards. I wish it can open to group buy.
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline gogusrl

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 14:13:36 »
Ascaii sold one back in 2013. Maybe you can follow that lead to the current owner and give it a shot. IC threads aren't as popular as they should be.

reference thread : http://deskthority.net/f-o-r-s-a-l-e-f58/selling-off-my-collection-t7031.html?hilit=TA%20keyboard

Offline intelli78

Gigantic update, read the op but plz do not quote the whole OP lol
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 13:54:11 by intelli78 »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Ok so I would think that taking your dong out should be a last resort as it is something that we can always go to.
Doing this through MassDrop seems like the most viable option, however they might indeed have some bad reputation after the Granite fiasco.
However, we should not disregard the fact that Granite did sell in the thousands which is much more than we would need to make this happen.
As for the traditional GB format, I wouldn't think that it would ever work just because few other buys from GMK have gotten close to 500 orders.

EDIT: I am also fine with paying for the $135 plus shipping if that is how this has to go down.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
I vote either options 1 or 3. I'd probably be able to help out on the cash side for option 3 if needed.

Option 1 is the best for getting the word out
Option 3 is the best for getting sets in hands the quickest.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Alternatively, you could go with the second route of grabbing up orders and then whipping out your dong to fill in the rest.
People who commit early to the group buy would get a slight discount plus get it sooner while still making this highly possible.
It would also lessen the blow on your wallet and you won't have to take as big a dive.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Why do you need 500 orders? You will never get that. 300, maybe.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Option 5: Take out your Amex Black card and call it a day. ;)

Have you contacted GMK what 1k order pricing would be? If it drops substantially, Massdrop would be a good consideration.

@JD 500 orders is the lowest GMK is willing to go for custom colours. It's usually 1k.

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=3hs4nl07hibh1rmj18i6h0i7cjlk1uss&topic=63161.0
Open it pls!
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
@JD 500 orders is the lowest GMK is willing to go for custom colours. It's usually 1k.

Oh, I didn't know the teal was a custom color.

Still, 500 is not gonna happen. You have to be realistic.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline intelli78

Have you contacted GMK what 1k order pricing would be? If it drops substantially, Massdrop would be a good consideration.

Hhha hhha cann't do
Personally I think Massdrop is the best option. They will have the biggest reach and they can take care of all the logistics. I can't speak for them but I'm pretty sure they'll be down.

I'll inquire about further discounts if I start talking to MD. GMK guy is on vacation for the next week and a half anyway.

What will you eat if you're wrong?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

My words. And bitter they will taste.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
GMK guy is on vacation for the next week and a half

I need to move to germany, those guys are always on vacation. snoopy hook me up. :p

Offline intelli78

My words. And bitter they will taste.

I think you should eat something more brutal, like a Triumph Adler numpad.

Anyway, what are you contributing by saying that? Do you want me to lock up the thread and turn off the lights before we even try?  :rolleyes: I think there's a totally realistic chance it'll go down, with Massdrop + bulk orders from overseas communities. Not 100% but enough that I put the third option on the table. However, everything will be better if people are willing to go with MD.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Btw, I'd highly recommend having GMK pack them in the flat plastic keycap trays. I cannot stress this enough. Packing in plastic ziplock bags is just asking to have your keys scratched/scuffed/dented (unless every key is in a bag, which is unlikely) due to Cherry profile's naturally sharper corners. Long keys such as Enter, Ctrl, Caps, tab & some alphas are very prone to scratching during transit. Plus, it would be a lot easier for you (or MD) to do a quick QC check that every key is in place / no redundant keys.

Shipping will be bulkier / more expensive for end users (and shipping to you due to volumetric weight), but it'll guarantee that your $100+ keyset arrives safely + you get a "free" display case.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:26:10 by Zeal »

Offline intelli78

Btw, I'd highly recommend having GMK pack them in the flat plastic keycap trays. I cannot stress this enough. Packing in plastic ziplock bags is just asking to have your keys scratched/scuffed (unless every key is in a bag, which is unlikely). Plus, it would be a lot easier for you (or MD) to do a quick QC check that every key is in place / no redundant keys.

Shipping will be bulkier / more expensive for end users, but it'll guarantee that your $100+ keyset arrives safely.

I did consider this and it is definitely something I'm open to. It's not that much more expensive than the bags, and you're right, it improves/hastens QC big time. The main thing I was considering was end cost to user-- but the MD price would be low enough that we could splurge on the shipping.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Anyway, what are you contributing by saying that? Do you want me to lock up the thread and turn off the lights before we even try?

It's your heartbreak, brother. I just don't think 500 is gonna happen, even with MD's help. But hey, please prove me wrong. I'll even order a set.

in memoriam

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Btw, I'd highly recommend having GMK pack them in the flat plastic keycap trays. I cannot stress this enough. Packing in plastic ziplock bags is just asking to have your keys scratched/scuffed (unless every key is in a bag, which is unlikely). Plus, it would be a lot easier for you (or MD) to do a quick QC check that every key is in place / no redundant keys.

Shipping will be bulkier / more expensive for end users, but it'll guarantee that your $100+ keyset arrives safely.

I did consider this and it is definitely something I'm open to. It's not that much more expensive than the bags, and you're right, it improves/hastens QC big time. The main thing I was considering was end cost to user-- but the MD price would be low enough that we could splurge on the shipping.

Last thing you want is another group of 1000 people pissed off with Massdrop that their keyset is missing keys/has damaged keys. Then they'll have to handle each complaint separately & order / request for extras from GMK.

Even if the buy doesn't go through MD, clear keycap trays should be standard in the future.

Offline intelli78

Anyway, what are you contributing by saying that? Do you want me to lock up the thread and turn off the lights before we even try?

It's your heartbreak, brother. I just don't think 500 is gonna happen, even with MD's help. But hey, please prove me wrong. I'll even order a set.

I can completely understand how you come to a number like 300 and I don't fault you for thinking it, but I know personally I would much rather have tried and failed than never to have tried at all. I guess I just have a different outlook on the demand for the set and the ability of Massdrop to drive sales, especially at this (very good) price point.

Besides, the time for that has passed. People said to quit back at the beginning of the thread, didn't, and nothing has changed since then that would decrease the likelihood of success. In fact, everything has gone RIGHT, starting with getting it down to 500 MOQ and culminating with a per set price that's actually LESS than most other GMK buys DESPITE the price premium.  :cool:

Offline intelli78

Last thing you want is another group of 1000 people pissed off with Massdrop that their keyset is missing keys/has damaged keys. Then they'll have to handle each complaint separately & order / request for extras from GMK.

Even if the buy doesn't go through MD, clear keycap trays should be standard in the future.

You are exactly right. I agree as long as it's not cost prohibitive. It will be at least another 250-500 EUR for the bulk shipment plus end buyer costs, but I agree the benefits are significant, especially w/r/t pre-empting problems fulfillment problems.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

The only reason I see to not do the keycap trays is it might lead to a large increase to the cost of shipping to the end user, since you would then be shipping something the size of a keyboard basically.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Wow, that price is amazing. I was ready to drop ~180$ on that baby.

I will definitely order a set and double my order if it helps.

I think we should try Massdrop for this (option 1). If it doesn't work out option 3 is good enough for me. The mark up is more than fair considering how much money you would have to invest first  :thumb:

Offline intelli78

The only reason I see to not do the keycap trays is it might lead to a large increase to the cost of shipping to the end user, since you would then be shipping something the size of a keyboard basically.

The size of a keyboard, but much lighter. I've never shipped a package like that, not exactly sure what it would run. From what I can gather from USPS.com it would likely be $10ish for standard (not priority) shipping, which is not terrible-- though the bagged sets could likely go Priority at about 60% of the cost.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder

The size of a keyboard, but much lighter. I've never shipped a package like that, not exactly sure what it would run. From what I can gather from USPS.com it would likely be $10ish for standard (not priority) shipping, which is not terrible-- though the bagged sets could likely go Priority at about 60% of the cost.

As someone who lives in Canada, I laugh that you guys will complain about $10 shipping.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'

Hhha hhha cann't do
Personally I think Massdrop is the best option. They will have the biggest reach and they can take care of all the logistics. I can't speak for them but I'm pretty sure they'll be down.

I'll inquire about further discounts if I start talking to MD. GMK guy is on vacation for the next week and a half anyway.

Knowing Lekashman he would love for MD to run this GB. That being said, I am not the biggest fan of them, BUT with your exception that they will have zero input on anything, basically acting as a middle man for collecting orders and taking a small cut, I am fine with this. Part of the issue was MD communicating with SP. As long as you're the only one communicating with GMK about this, then I am all gucci with using MD as a platform. I don't think you should ever front money up like this, seems a BIT irresponsible. The set looks fine, although I am sad I will be missing a few keys, I can live with it. Keeping costs down though will be the best option for MD. IF you can get sufficient hype you should work out a 2 tier price drop. The $115 + shipping is base for 500 sets, and then $1XX + shipping for the 1000.

ALSO the Bay area Kiibohd meet up is happening tomorrow at MD headquarters. So Lekashman will be there of course. He is the guy who is in charge of all the MD mechanical keyboard stuff if you didn't already know that. But yeah I am sure some one could bring this thread up to him tomorrow. (Not sure who else will be there but guys like, Nuclearsandwich, Haata, Jacobulous, Samwisekoi, etc. will be there, myself included.)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
IF you can get sufficient hype you should work out a 2 tier price drop. The $115 + shipping is base for 500 sets, and then $1XX + shipping for the 1000.

I can see this working, possibly. With the right marketing.

Also, see if you can get some vendors (4?) to commit to ordering 50 sets. :D

in memoriam

Offline intelli78

Knowing Lekashman he would love for MD to run this GB. That being said, I am not the biggest fan of them, BUT with your exception that they will have zero input on anything, basically acting as a middle man for collecting orders and taking a small cut, I am fine with this. Part of the issue was MD communicating with SP. As long as you're the only one communicating with GMK about this, then I am all gucci with using MD as a platform. I don't think you should ever front money up like this, seems a BIT irresponsible. The set looks fine, although I am sad I will be missing a few keys, I can live with it. Keeping costs down though will be the best option for MD. IF you can get sufficient hype you should work out a 2 tier price drop. The $115 + shipping is base for 500 sets, and then $1XX + shipping for the 1000.

ALSO the Bay area Kiibohd meet up is happening tomorrow at MD headquarters. So Lekashman will be there of course. He is the guy who is in charge of all the MD mechanical keyboard stuff if you didn't already know that. But yeah I am sure some one could bring this thread up to him tomorrow. (Not sure who else will be there but guys like, Nuclearsandwich, Haata, Jacobulous, Samwisekoi, etc. will be there, myself included.)

The 2 tier price drop would be great. Based on GMK's current pricing it is POSSIBLE but far from certain that it could reach a $99.99 minimum tier. If GMK provided additional discounts @ 1000 then there would really be a good chance of having that. Which would be 1NSANE, honestly, that is unheard of, and for a set like this?

I already have a good relationship with Andrew L due to the recent keyboard case drops. I would strongly prefer if you do not bring it up, as I've not had the chance to even give him a heads up. I mean, if it comes up in conversation that's great, just please leave it that I'll be in touch with him and give him the full details, don't try to drop the bomb on him @ the meetup and convince him there, let me handle it since I'm doing the gb. I want to emphasize -- like you I think they'll be willing to do this drop, but I have NOT spoken to him and anything I'm saying about their participation right now is only speculation. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 15:01:52 by intelli78 »

Offline whentheclouds

lookin' good son! only concern i have at the moment is how feint the legends are on the alphas, despite knowing how wonky GMK renders look colorwise. in the case you don't find a TA cap, how about an ever-so-slightly deeper teal like #367178?

costwise, i was ready to pay upwards of $150 for this set, so fantastic job getting it lowered to a standard price. hence, any method you go with is fine by me. i'm actually quite optimistic that we can hit 500 MOQ without the help of MD. curious to see what the final price will come down to with 1000 MOQ, though that's probably out of reach even with MD's participation

lastly, what are the most important keys you had to cut from the final selection?

Offline intelli78

See, now you are thinking right.

GH-250
DT-50
Korea-100
China-50
Reddit-50

Total = 500, no need for any vendors. And add other countries, manipulate the numbers a bit... still no real need. And if we can get it down to a $99.99 price point? at 500. Totally done deal.

$99.99 at 1,000... I'm much more skeptical about that, it's just SO MANY but... even that I would not rule out completely.

Offline dimmu

awesome job pushing for this GB to happen despite all the negativity, intelli78! hopefully, we get enough support to reach that 500 moq, not only for the sake of this keyset but also for all the potential custom color gmk sets in the future.

Offline Heliosphere

Will the color-matched teal look darker than the renders show, or at least is that what we're hoping?

I also think that going MD might be the best option. I've already said this before, but MD had trouble with Granite because they had to hand sort all the various kits to match orders. Since this GMK TA is going to be ONE complete set, MD fulfillment will be a lot simpler and less prone to screwups.

I guess doing a traditional GB is possible too, but we'll have to advertise the **** out of this buy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:58:37 by Heliosphere »

Offline intelli78

lookin' good son! only concern i have at the moment is how feint the legends are on the alphas, despite knowing how wonky GMK renders look colorwise. in the case you don't find a TA cap, how about an ever-so-slightly deeper teal like #367178?

costwise, i was ready to pay upwards of $150 for this set, so fantastic job getting it lowered to a standard price. hence, any method you go with is fine by me. i'm actually quite optimistic that we can hit 500 MOQ without the help of MD. curious to see what the final price will come down to with 1000 MOQ, though that's probably out of reach even with MD's participation

lastly, what are the most important keys you had to cut from the final selection?

Do not worry about the render. The hex code is just a placeholder. They will color match a real cap and it will look basically the same as the original board, not faint. The main variable will actually be the base gray color-- there is really only one color on the color ring that comes close (2B) so we are kinda stuck with that. Looks to be very close though I'm going to push to see some samples before the full production goes down.

Most important keys cut... honestly, really not that much. We kept all the must-haves. You can cover almost any layout you want, you just might have to live with some wrong legends.

Things that come to mind... blanks of all sizes, some HHKB keys, 1x 0, B-profile bottom arrows and bottom numpad... teal `~ .....
Like I said, the nice-to-haves.

I really think the set design is among the best ever, not just because I was involved, but because it's so efficient. If I had it my way we'd get rid of the Fn too, but c'est la vie, Photekq

Offline intelli78

awesome job pushing for this GB to happen despite all the negativity, intelli78! hopefully, we get enough support to reach that 500 moq, not only for the sake of this keyset but also for all the potential custom color gmk sets in the future.

Thanks bro I'm excited too!

Will the color-matched teal look darker than the renders show, or at least is that what we're hoping?

I also think that going MD might be the best option. I've already said this before, but MD had trouble with Granite because they had to hand sort all the various kits to match orders. Since this GMK TA is going to be ONE complete set, MD fulfillment will be a lot simpler and less prone to screwups.

Edit of earlier post:

You know...

I am actually a little hung up on teal for the alphas. People were split about 50/50 between the blue I originally chose and the teal.

I switched it over to teal on the logic that anyone can make blue-on-gray, but the teal-on-gray is a one time shot.

But while I EXPECT the teal to have better contrast IRL than in the render, maaaaaaaaybe just maybe we should actually go with the blue. Examining the OG pics, the alphas really did not age uniformly. They are much closer to blue than teal, and the blue will DEFINITELY have higher contrast than the teal, even if the contrast of the teal is ~sufficient~.

The render with the blue, at least, DOES make the set have more POP.

Original render for comparison:

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 15:14:52 by intelli78 »

Offline whentheclouds

i'm not very familiar with R5 bottomrow, how well will it fit onto a winkeyless mx-mini board?

colored spacebar will be nice to have of course, but i understand it's just an afterthought

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

As someone who lives in Canada, I laugh that you guys will complain about $10 shipping.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x infinity
Cannot stress this enough :))

See, now you are thinking right.

GH-250
DT-50
Korea-100
China-50
Reddit-50

Total = 500, no need for any vendors. And add other countries, manipulate the numbers a bit... still no real need. And if we can get it down to a $99.99 price point? at 500. Totally done deal.

$99.99 at 1,000... I'm much more skeptical about that, it's just SO MANY but... even that I would not rule out completely.

I think you're underestimating the Chinese keyboard community. They pay out the ass for GMK sets due to currency conversions & s/h. At $99.99, it'll be a ridiculously cheap price point.

Hosting a GB w/ PP at such large orders would also be risky. Just one impatient person could kill the whole GB. As Massdrop already has a good relation w/ PP + their funds holding system in place, it would be a better idea to go this route.

Only request for int'l orders is to never ship light items via priority flat rate. Finding a proper sized box (might have to be custom produced) will always be cheaper.

Lower purchase price also = lower customs duties we (may) have to pay. Although I do wish they would stop using their Massdrop tape :( It's like a red flag for customs to say "hey, pick me out of the pile!"
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 15:11:41 by Zeal »