Author Topic: Rosewill RGB80 (TKL with RGB LED's)  (Read 7500 times)

Offline James35

Rosewill RGB80 (TKL with RGB LED's)
« on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 19:33:52 »

Rosewill RGB80 is now available. Pretty impressive for the $100 price tag I must say.
Since Corsair locked in a year deal with Cherry for the RGB LED switches, it looks like Rosewill is getting around this problem this year by using blue Kailh switches instead.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 19:36:34 by James35 »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Rosewill RGB80 (TKL with RGB LED's)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 21:20:46 »
lollll they beat Corsair to it eh, Corsair must be pissed.  :P

And this actually looks really good, good job NewEgg ~

EDIT:  Ohhhh I just noticed that it's actually Kailh switches and it's using RGB LED instead of Corsair's implementation.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 21:25:44 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline nrd

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 21:47:03 »
Wait … the status LEDs don’t change color?  :-X

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:27:08 »
Its only a single color.. ._.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:42:17 »
Competition is good, and we'll be seeing more multi-color boards soon.

Offline James35

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 00:16:38 »
Wait … the status LEDs don’t change color?  :-X
I noticed that too. Seems silly to do 80 RGB's and not do 3 of them to make it a complete matching theme.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 00:52:53 »
Eh, a bit too gimmicky and flashy. Doesn't really compete well with the Cherry RGB and honestly there were probably more sacrifices made to reach that price point than I would be comfortable with.
;)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:36:44 »
kailh

:(

I used to respect Rosewill.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:57:59 »
I posted this in the Corsair thread but I'll repeat what I said

meh ... half the features aren't even functional at launch; only ~220 colors, cant rainbow the board, very limited LED functionality(eg. cant follow key presses). Besides that, it has a ****ty rubber coating, it uses cheap knock off switches (and only clicky switches?), comes with a crappy key puller, software looks pretty lame, and I'm sure the build quality is as laughable as all the other rosewill stuff we've seen. It might be only $100 but it looks like you get what you pay for with that thing.

There's a good reason everyone recommends Filco and not Rosewill. Save your money and buy a quality product once instead of getting cheap crap that doesn't last.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:14:18 »
kailh

I used to respect Rosewill.

Honestly, the only Rosewill product I've ever been able to recommend to my friends was the RK9001 when it was on sale for $40 and free shipping.
;)

Offline qwack

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:18:58 »
I posted this in the Corsair thread but I'll repeat what I said

meh ... half the features aren't even functional at launch; only ~220 colors, cant rainbow the board, very limited LED functionality(eg. cant follow key presses).

I think a fair amount of users would be perfectly content with a RGB keyboard that allows them to change the color of the entire keyboard on the fly (as opposed to having to fiddle with switching LEDs or to use plastic color changers), without all the lighting modes you describe.

Now, the build/switch quality is another matter.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:07:31 »
The Corsair comes with a signage processor for it's controller. Very important if you want all those flashy displays.
Does the Rosewill?
Kaiith bothers me a bit, but what really botheers me -- Corsair had problems with some of the LEDs suffering early death.  The Cherry RGBs are supposed to fix that by putting the LED inside the switch. Im pretty sure that Cherry has a patent on the process. Does Kailth have a similar mechanism to avoid LED death?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 09:01:35 »
The Corsair comes with a signage processor for it's controller. Very important if you want all those flashy displays.
Does the Rosewill?
Kaiith bothers me a bit, but what really botheers me -- Corsair had problems with some of the LEDs suffering early death.  The Cherry RGBs are supposed to fix that by putting the LED inside the switch. Im pretty sure that Cherry has a patent on the process. Does Kailth have a similar mechanism to avoid LED death?

Probably no on all counts. Not sure about the processor issue, but it seems pretty basic in terms of effects, going by the Newegg video. Single color, single color breathing, color-cycle breathing...and that's around it, IIRC.

LEDs are implemented differently from in the Corsair, more like standard LEDs. You can see them in the video. It's the same implementation as Tesoro's "Lobera Supreme" model.

Btw, this is an iOne product. Wonder if we'll see a Max Keyboard version...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 23:32:20 »
Does the Rosewill?

Probably no on all counts. Not sure about the processor issue, but it seems pretty basic in terms of effects, going by the Newegg video. Single color, single color breathing, color-cycle breathing...and that's around it, IIRC.

LEDs are implemented differently from in the Corsair, more like standard LEDs. You can see them in the video. It's the same implementation as Tesoro's "Lobera Supreme" model.

After trying a bunch if Ione products I am not falling all over myself to touch any ione keyboard ever again. Good to know it's iONE. Saves my money since I won't be buying.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 02:22:21 »

How do you know it's iOne?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:08:40 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:25:47 »

http://www.ione.com.tw/2011/products/3_gaming/0_big_photo/M10TFL.html

That doesn't mean that iOne is making them. Up to now I think that CoStar has made all of Rosewill's mech keyboards.  I don't see why that would change.
Possibly Rosewill is just using the same case.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:03:55 »

http://www.ione.com.tw/2011/products/3_gaming/0_big_photo/M10TFL.html

That doesn't mean that iOne is making them. Up to now I think that CoStar has made all of Rosewill's mech keyboards.  I don't see why that would change.
Possibly Rosewill is just using the same case.

It's not just the case that's shared, though...the Scorpius version (which is sold in Korea under the Xenics brand; you can find it on Gmarket) has the same same configuration software, the same RGB implementation, the same media/profile control layout, and the same keycaps. So unless they went to another manufacturer and said, "Hi, can you make us an exact replica of this iOne product in every respect?", it's pretty clear where it's coming from.

Not to mention, the RGB implementation is identical to what you can see on the Tesoro Lobera Supreme-- Tesoro, like Xenics, being part of the iOne extended family. As is the labeling scheme for profile keys, media key configuration, and more.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 11:14:34 »
No, Rosewill have other iOne before as well the 'Apollo' which is another generic U9 reference model, and if its a reference iOne board on their site that looks 100% identical it doesn't take a genius. They have also some other OEM MX keyboards from iRocks, and also now a 60% Tex clone assumedly from whoever makes that.