Author Topic: intro and my first prototype  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Siempie999

intro and my first prototype
« on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 05:13:13 »
hello I've been a member here for a while now and not posted anything yet
so here goes  i am Simon i live in the Netherlands by day I'm a CNC machinist and by night I'm a cyborg
i also have my own CNC milling machine wich i use to earn some side cash with to support my hobby's :)

besides that, i just finished milling my first prototype for a frame of my keyboard build :)

let me know what you guys think

290495-0290497-1290499-2

with kind greetings :D

Offline piit79

Re: intro and my first prototype
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 06:46:14 »
Very nice work! Especially because it's my favourite form factor - I'm a long-time Preonic user :) If you ever offer the final version for sale, you already have a customer :thumb: I like the simplicity of the Preonic, but the tray-mount design is pretty dated.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd like to share some comments if you don't mind. The integrated plate might seem neat, but it's far from a community favourite construction. It's very stiff (especially your version which is very thick). It also deprives you of plate material choice. If I could make a recommendation - drop the integrated plate and add a few (4 should be enough) mounting points for a removable plate - that way people can use a plate in a material of their choice. For example, polycarbonate, FR4 and POM plates seem to be very popular these days (I've been cutting custom POM plates on my laser-cutter for a while now). If you like an aluminium plate you can still easily mill it separately.

Anyway, I think this board could be pretty popular! 5x12 layout PCBs are not very easy to get off-the shelf, especially in the EU - I'd love to collaborate with you on this project and design one, probably based on the Raspberry Pi RP2040 which is easily available and very cheap (as opposed to most other MCUs used in custom boards like the good old ATmega32u4 or STM32s). By the way, I run https://42keebs.eu/, a small family MK shop based in the Czech Republic.

Please let me know what you think :) I'll be watching your progress with great interest!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 11:14:42 »
Welcome to geekhack!

Case/plate looks clean and really solid, as long as you have plans to get the cable out somehow it's looking good :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Siempie999

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 12:19:46 »
Very nice work! Especially because it's my favourite form factor - I'm a long-time Preonic user :) If you ever offer the final version for sale, you already have a customer :thumb: I like the simplicity of the Preonic, but the tray-mount design is pretty dated.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd like to share some comments if you don't mind. The integrated plate might seem neat, but it's far from a community favourite construction. It's very stiff (especially your version which is very thick). It also deprives you of plate material choice. If I could make a recommendation - drop the integrated plate and add a few (4 should be enough) mounting points for a removable plate - that way people can use a plate in a material of their choice. For example, polycarbonate, FR4 and POM plates seem to be very popular these days (I've been cutting custom POM plates on my laser-cutter for a while now). If you like an aluminium plate you can still easily mill it separately.

Anyway, I think this board could be pretty popular! 5x12 layout PCBs are not very easy to get off-the shelf, especially in the EU - I'd love to collaborate with you on this project and design one, probably based on the Raspberry Pi RP2040 which is easily available and very cheap (as opposed to most other MCUs used in custom boards like the good old ATmega32u4 or STM32s). By the way, I run https://42keebs.eu/, a small family MK shop based in the Czech Republic.

Please let me know what you think :) I'll be watching your progress with great interest!

I'm happy you think it looks good and of course, I'm open to suggestions
i want to make it the best as possible maybe just make different versions with integrated plate and without
it won't make it harder for me to make actually so that will be possible

I myself am not that good at making PCB's could really use some help in that part

this is one of the PCB's I made for a door controlling system

290502-0290504-1

I've made these with allot of help of some friends

Offline Siempie999

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 12:20:53 »
Welcome to geekhack!

Case/plate looks clean and really solid, as long as you have plans to get the cable out somehow it's looking good :thumb:

thank you :)

yes it would be in the lower half of this case

Offline Siempie999

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 14:31:15 »
so I've just done a rough sketch for the keyboard with a removable mid plate
let me know what you think of this design :)

290514-0
290516-1
290518-2