Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1855639 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #1150 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 18:27:12 »
odd. i've never seen a solder cup before actually, so i'll take your word on it. where are these connections common?

wow, this is crazy. an entire class of joint i know nothing about. so these cups are actually supposed to hold enough solder and have enough surface area that the solder joint is both mechanical and electrical retainer? _woah_.

kester 44 RA is a completely different product from the 285 series RMA flux cored wire and i don't see 283 in the catalogue. kester flux cored solders have a shelf life of 2-3 years from date of manufacture.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2013, 18:34:29 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Parak

« Reply #1151 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 18:58:28 »
The numbers are just indicative of the kind of flux in the core - make sure that you pick the right alloy as well, 60/40 or 63/37, etc. RA vs RMA is a bit debatable - generally RMA is sufficient for most applications and doesn't eat away at tips as much while leaving less residue, but RA is a bit more user friendly.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1152 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 19:37:32 »
odd. i've never seen a solder cup before actually, so i'll take your word on it. where are these connections common?

wow, this is crazy. an entire class of joint i know nothing about. so these cups are actually supposed to hold enough solder and have enough surface area that the solder joint is both mechanical and electrical retainer? _woah_.

kester 44 RA is a completely different product from the 285 series RMA flux cored wire and i don't see 283 in the catalogue. kester flux cored solders have a shelf life of 2-3 years from date of manufacture.

I run across cups mainly in things like RCA connectors, myself.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1153 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 19:46:45 »
The numbers are just indicative of the kind of flux in the core - make sure that you pick the right alloy as well, 60/40 or 63/37, etc. RA vs RMA is a bit debatable - generally RMA is sufficient for most applications and doesn't eat away at tips as much while leaving less residue, but RA is a bit more user friendly.
RMA doesn't eat away at tips because it doesn't eat away at much at all :P. RA is much preferable for the newbie hobbyist. 7 year old RMA is going to be that much less effective.

actually i have a funny story about this, but i can't tell it unless AHEM someone i am almost positive is reading this joins the forum. (hint: 7 year old RMA fluxed lead free is what your grandfather probably gave you to start out with)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1154 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 21:30:01 »
The cups I am working with is on a Centronics 36 connector.  For this of you not familiar with this name it is the old printer cable plug that used the wire clips for retention instead of screws.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1155 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:38:41 »
I don't know if this belongs here on in Great Finds, but this is specific to soldering, so I'll post it here.

From B+D Enterprises:

For a limited time, we're giving away a free Hakko Waterless Tip Cleaner (item 599B - retail value $9.47) with every order over $25. Don't forget, we're also having a sale of 15% off all Hakko items for a few more days as well. Well, isn't that a coincidence?

Hakko FX888D Digital Soldering Station

$77.65 plus shipping for a Hakko FX-888D and a 599B waterless tip cleaner. I've purchased from B+D before, and I can recommend them without reservation.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1156 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:42:32 »
I don't know if this belongs here on in Great Finds, but this is specific to soldering, so I'll post it here.

From B+D Enterprises:

For a limited time, we're giving away a free Hakko Waterless Tip Cleaner (item 599B - retail value $9.47) with every order over $25. Don't forget, we're also having a sale of 15% off all Hakko items for a few more days as well. Well, isn't that a coincidence?

$77.65 plus shipping for a Hakko FX-888D and a 599B waterless tip cleaner. I've purchased from B+D before, and I can recommend them without reservation.

Show Image
Show Image

It's 91.35 for me (instead of 107.47). Is it auto-detecting that I'm from Canada and auto-increasing the price?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1157 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:42:55 »
B+D is who gets the buy box on amazon for the 888d regularly, so many people have probably purchased from them and not thought twice about it. that said, the 888d is coming up as 90$ with the discount for me. booooo

and no accessories are on sale. boooo again
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:47:26 by mkawa »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1158 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:45:39 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

They have a free shipping option too, or you can select 2-day or UPS Ground for an additional $9.25/$10.05 (estimated to my Zip code in Virginia).

That is a sweet deal!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1159 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:46:55 »
I'm thinking you have to make it to the end to see the discount? I looked at other Hakko items, and they don't show any price increase, so the discount is probably added at the end.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1160 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:47:55 »
I'm thinking you have to make it to the end to see the discount? I looked at other Hakko items, and they don't show any price increase, so the discount is probably added at the end.

I added it to cart, viewed cart, and the discount was shown right away.  Also has the option to estimate shipping costs.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1161 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:51:04 »

I added it to cart, viewed cart, and the discount was shown right away.  Also has the option to estimate shipping costs.

Yep, that worked. Also, a Hakko 808 for a little over $150. Good deal?

Offline JPG

« Reply #1162 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:52:25 »
OK, works for me too, BUT THEY WONT SHIP TO MY ADDRESS!!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1163 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:02:29 »

Yep, that worked. Also, a Hakko 808 for a little over $150. Good deal?

I think that's be a great deal. They usually run ~$180 I believe. Is that from the same merchant being discussed?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1164 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:03:28 »
Yep. It's on sale for less than $179, then with the 15% off, around $152 or so.

http://www.bdent.com/hakko-808-kit-p-desoldering-kit.html

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1165 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:05:33 »
yep, now i'm seeing it. SWEET DEAL!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1166 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:43:51 »
So for those with 808 experience is it worth it to get the holder? What about getting extra nozzles, valves, cleaning pins, etc?

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1167 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:44:52 »

From B+D Enterprises:

HNNNG I need money. Maybe I can get this for my birthday...when does this deal end?
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1168 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:35:15 »
So for those with 808 experience is it worth it to get the holder? What about getting extra nozzles, valves, cleaning pins, etc?

I wish I'd spent the money on the holder and I keep 2 - 4 nozzles at hand at all times.  Also, look into something that can switch the gun off/on as it doesn't have a switch for the heater.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1169 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:11:17 »

I wish I'd spent the money on the holder and I keep 2 - 4 nozzles at hand at all times.  Also, look into something that can switch the gun off/on as it doesn't have a switch for the heater.

What holder do you recommend?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1170 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:12:47 »
use a lamp cord switch as a power switch. hardware store 0.5USD

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1171 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:17:10 »
I'm considering getting this

Hakko 633-02 Iron Holder with Sponge    <- I'm guessing you can take out the tray for the sponge and insert the 599B

Hakko 808-KIT/P Desoldering Kit    

Hakko 599B-02 Waterless Tip Cleaner    
* FREE!

Comes out to ~$247 and I could always sell the Hakko 888 I already have.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1172 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:28:29 »
unless you need to do a lot of desoldering, save your money and get a (GH EDITION YAAAAA) soldapullt.

also, i may be totally alone here, but the brass tip cleaner just don't get the job does like sponges do when you're tinning.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1173 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:49:58 »
unless you need to do a lot of desoldering, save your money and get a (GH EDITION YAAAAA) soldapullt.

also, i may be totally alone here, but the brass tip cleaner just don't get the job does like sponges do when you're tinning.

What is this save money business!! This is wallethack ;)

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #1174 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 14:55:26 »
I'll tell you what, that Hakko 808 is the bees knees. I had zero experience desoldering before I got that thing, and after watching a couple of videos and a careful read of the instructions I harvested all of the reds off my Filco TK MJ2 in about two and a half hours. The first 52 keys were a lot harder than the last 52. In the first 52 keys I was leaving quite a bit of solder in many of the through-holes. My performance was pretty hit-or miss, but about half way through the board my familiarity with the tool and the board increased, I made much fewer mistakes and my confidence shot right up. Went back and cleared all of the holes that I screwed up initially and at the end of the day the board looked amazing.

I did manage to pull a pin out of two of the switches, though: one was already broken by me back when I was trying to determine whether or not my switch tops were removable (LOL, they weren't) and the other: I thought I had removed all of the solder but I clearly didn't.

I bet if I would have raised the temp on the gun I could have gotten through it faster, but I didn't want to attempt that coming from a zero experience background.

Also pulled the leds (much smaller leads & through-holes than the switches) at stock temp with stock tip - no problems.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1175 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 16:01:11 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

Oh gawd... This deal is so good... I wonder if they'll have this deal up for another week!!!... this or the $30 Yihua 936 :)) ;asoijg;owijg;owajgo;wjig;aoije Either way, I'll need to replace my broken one by the end of the month.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1176 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 16:47:16 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

Oh gawd... This deal is so good... I wonder if they'll have this deal up for another week!!!... this or the $30 Yihua 936 :)) ;asoijg;owijg;owajgo;wjig;aoije Either way, I'll need to replace my broken one by the end of the month.
Shows up as $91.35 and then like $35 shipping for me. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, I don't know.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1177 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 17:28:18 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

Shows up as $91.35 and then like $35 shipping for me. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, I don't know.

:( That's no good. I get $77.65 with the free shipping option. Now I'm starting to feel bad for not having purchased this already while having the option to :)) *sigh* going to have to think about this harddddd.

Offline JPG

« Reply #1178 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 17:41:29 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

You only see the price reduction when you look at your cart, buy yea, the shipping to Canada is 35$ and they say we have to call them to get this option... Well, after shipping, it's the same price as ebay for me. Still a good price, but not the same deal for Canadians!

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1179 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 18:16:43 »
Not a great find, but a milestone for me personally.

35790-0
Desoldered my first switches.   ;D

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1180 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 07:13:11 »
My wife and I have been sharing an office since we moved into this house, but I'm starting to get into soldering and the like so I'm in need of another desk, a shelf, and more room... so she has agreed to give me my own office in the house (since she doesn't use this one very often anyway). MAN CAVE INCOMING!
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1181 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 12:47:15 »
My wife and I have been sharing an office since we moved into this house, but I'm starting to get into soldering and the like so I'm in need of another desk, a shelf, and more room... so she has agreed to give me my own office in the house (since she doesn't use this one very often anyway). MAN CAVE INCOMING!

Be real man.  Build your own desk.

There's a build in this thread for one in fact.

Offline JPG

« Reply #1182 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 12:53:18 »

I was recently thinking about building my own. But i had to put mine to trash sooner than expected and decided to use my folding table from costco temporarily. Then I realised that this foldable table was exactly the same dimension as the one I wanted to build, and foldable and cheap and solid. I decided to just keep this one for my setup and buy a new one! 46$ for the "almost perfect" table is damn nice. Not the most pretty, but damn it!

35888-0

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1183 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:58:24 »
I will be getting one from goodwill. Probably.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1184 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 16:57:27 »
I really hope this thread is not what discouraged someone from attempting their project, even if all they could afford was a $15 RadioShack soldering pencil.
The thing is, for $30 shipped, the Yihua is far and away better than trying to learn to solder with only a pencil iron.

It wasn't this thread, but it was people sounding like people in this thread.

Also its $45 shipped for me...which sucks. :(

Hmm, I wonder if you didn't choose the USA Warehouse location at HobbyKing.com. It only showed $27.33 shipped via UPS for me.

But don't buy one, pixel5. You should have a gift from me arriving to your address in a couple weeks. It usually takes that long for them to get it packed and shipped, then via ground to your door. Anyway, it's the least I can do for a fellow TTU alum.

Dude I didn't even see this post until right now, I get to my house after work today and I see a box on my porch and i'm like ..."What?".

I start searching my Wells Fargo online account for purchases. I DONT EVEN DRINK I KNOW I DIDNT MAKE A DRUNK PURCHASE?! I started searching back through this thread and sure enough. Shows how much I pay attention. Was freaking out man.

Thanks for an awesome birthday gift, JDcarpe. You shouldn't have, but you rock.

EDIT: I look like a total jerk, it looks like I just ignored his post 8 days ago. I have the be the most oblivious person on the planet.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2013, 16:59:55 by pixel5 »
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1185 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:10:22 »
I really hope this thread is not what discouraged someone from attempting their project, even if all they could afford was a $15 RadioShack soldering pencil.
The thing is, for $30 shipped, the Yihua is far and away better than trying to learn to solder with only a pencil iron.

It wasn't this thread, but it was people sounding like people in this thread.

Also its $45 shipped for me...which sucks. :(

Hmm, I wonder if you didn't choose the USA Warehouse location at HobbyKing.com. It only showed $27.33 shipped via UPS for me.

But don't buy one, pixel5. You should have a gift from me arriving to your address in a couple weeks. It usually takes that long for them to get it packed and shipped, then via ground to your door. Anyway, it's the least I can do for a fellow TTU alum.

Dude I didn't even see this post until right now, I get to my house after work today and I see a box on my porch and i'm like ..."What?".

I start searching my Wells Fargo online account for purchases. I DONT EVEN DRINK I KNOW I DIDNT MAKE A DRUNK PURCHASE?! I started searching back through this thread and sure enough. Shows how much I pay attention. Was freaking out man.

Thanks for an awesome birthday gift, JDcarpe. You shouldn't have, but you rock.

EDIT: I look like a total jerk, it looks like I just ignored his post 8 days ago. I have the be the most oblivious person on the planet.

Glad it arrived safely! I hope you like it. And don't forget to order some replacement tips. I recommend these. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1186 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:17:04 »
yep, throw the hakko tips on. the fake tips are junk!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1187 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:19:48 »
My soldapullt was kinda hurting my palm after using it for a long time so I added some sugru. Feels much nicer now.

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1188 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:24:22 »

In what way are they junk? I'm not an expert on this stuff quite yet. If I need to solder before I get a new tip in, is the stock one just completely unusable?
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1189 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:28:53 »

In what way are they junk? I'm not an expert on this stuff quite yet. If I need to solder before I get a new tip in, is the stock one just completely unusable?

they're usable, but the hakko tips conduct heat much more readily, have a more consistent shape, and last a lot longer.

My soldapullt was kinda hurting my palm after using it for a long time so I added some sugru. Feels much nicer now.

Show Image

ooooooooooh, that's nice. thinking...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1190 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:36:15 »

The tip mine came with was a 0.8mm chisel tip, or a conical tip, I can't tell which, but I never soldered anything with it. It's too pointy to transfer much heat.

in memoriam

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #1191 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:43:30 »

I was recently thinking about building my own. But i had to put mine to trash sooner than expected and decided to use my folding table from costco temporarily. Then I realised that this foldable table was exactly the same dimension as the one I wanted to build, and foldable and cheap and solid. I decided to just keep this one for my setup and buy a new one! 46$ for the "almost perfect" table is damn nice. Not the most pretty, but damn it!

(Attachment Link)
I got that exact same table from Costco for $35. Works really nicely and it was a lot bigger than I expected.

Offline JPG

« Reply #1192 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 18:36:52 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

For the other Canadians that would have been interesting to get this soldering station but considered the shipping too much, well I contacted their support today (after I got a mail from their sales cause I had left my cart with something in it) and they should come back to me tomorrow if they find a cheaper way to send it. I will post the answer tomorrow! "crossing fingers" that they manage to find something more interesting than 35$!

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1193 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 18:55:48 »
Just found a desk at Goodwill for $11. Needed something cheap that I could mess up on. Woo.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline JPG

« Reply #1194 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 09:32:46 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

For the other Canadians that would have been interesting to get this soldering station but considered the shipping too much, well I contacted their support today (after I got a mail from their sales cause I had left my cart with something in it) and they should come back to me tomorrow if they find a cheaper way to send it. I will post the answer tomorrow! "crossing fingers" that they manage to find something more interesting than 35$!

Just got the answer that 35$ is the cheapest option for the station.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1195 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 09:56:02 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

Yeah, the days of cheap international shipping from the US are definitely over.

I guess the USPS has never heard of NAFTA. :P

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1196 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 16:14:04 »

What holder do you recommend?

^^ Anyone with an 808 and a holder can answer this??

Some reviews imply the 633 series are a little light and hakko has the 607 listed on their site as an option.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1197 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 17:31:16 »
$11 desk in my new mancave/office-to-myself. LOOK MY BOXES FIT PERFECTLY IN THOSE SLOTS ON THE DESK HNNNG.

Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1198 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 17:41:52 »
I was curious about a rough cost/benefit analysis for the Hakko desoldering gun.

a. Let's say that the going rate to desolder a full-size keyboard is around $20 - excluding shipping costs.  [I'm basing this on GH listers posting rates of $40 to swap switches...]

b. B+D Enterprises has the Hakko 808 (Kit P) for $152.13 (after discounts, and I think free shipping is an option)

So is it a reasonable assumption that if I eventually desolder a total of eight keyboards, at that point it will become cheaper to buy a Hakko 808 than to pay someone to do this for me?  Or is my math completely off?

Offline JPG

« Reply #1199 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 18:15:49 »

From B+D Enterprises:

Show Image
Show Image

Yeah, the days of cheap international shipping from the US are definitely over.

I guess the USPS has never heard of NAFTA. :P

Yea, sadly, they were over just by the time I discovered buying online...

On another note, The B+D sales "automatically" sent me a mail giving me a 5% rebate because my order was still in the cart and I had not bought it yet. I might pull the trigger even with 35$ shipping since anyway it's still the best option to get one. If one of you is interested in one, try to put it in your cart and leave it there for a few days!  :cool: