Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1266492 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4350 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 13:32:10 »
All artisans look like trash  :rolleyes:

But people put hard work into it... thats what i respect about it.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4351 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 22:39:27 »

I can agree with that in most cases. Especially when 'artisan makers' roll out their kindergarten playdoh level monstrosity and charge $40+ a pop for them, it's a desperate cashgrab.

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #4352 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 02:40:18 »
GMK Necro is a fantastic set.
Plastic keyboards often sound better than aluminum ones.
Maxkeys SA sets are on par with SP in terms of quality (at least they are now).

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4353 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 05:09:46 »
GMK Necro is a fantastic set.
Plastic keyboards often sound better than aluminum ones.
Maxkeys SA sets are on par with SP in terms of quality (at least they are now).

I keep hearing this metallic rattling every time i type fast

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4354 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 05:27:17 »
I don't have many unpopular opinions but I do have one very strong opinion that is keyboard related.

Flipped spacebar is one of the worst things that anyone has ever come up with. It just looks bad. I am a strong believer that if you feel like your spacebar is digging into your thumb, then your wrists are probably too low when you are typing.

I've never been a fan of flipped spacebars either, I think it looks horrendous on a board & like you said if the spacebar is digging into your thumbs get a wrist rest.

Flipped space bars are fundamentally wrong.

You are not alone.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #4355 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 08:25:26 »

You are not alone.

This is for the most part true, but on certain vintage boards(for example my Wyse PCE) the spacebar is super harsh on the angle and flipping it actually makes the typing experience better.  On any modern board I don't agree with it, the Wyse is the only keyboard I flip the spacebar on.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4356 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 18:05:19 »

You are not alone.

This is for the most part true, but on certain vintage boards(for example my Wyse PCE) the spacebar is super harsh on the angle and flipping it actually makes the typing experience better.  On any modern board I don't agree with it, the Wyse is the only keyboard I flip the spacebar on.

On pretty much all of my keyboards the space bar is the same profile as the rest of the bottom row, but is convex whereas Alt/Ctrl etc. are concave.

I did try flipping a space bar once, at the insistence of someone here, and the experience was not pleasant.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4357 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 08:41:46 »

You are not alone.

On pretty much all of my keyboards the space bar is the same profile as the rest of the bottom row, but is convex whereas Alt/Ctrl etc. are concave.

I did try flipping a space bar once, at the insistence of someone here, and the experience was not pleasant.

They look extremely painful to use. No thank you, i'd rather have my space bar flat where my fingers can reach it.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #4358 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 14:33:42 »
Probably been said before, but I think that GMK is overhyped

- Keycap manufacturers are taking everyone for a ride on pricing.

75% is the best layout and deserves more love, as compact as 60% yet you're not missing any keys apart from numpad, pause/break and scroll lock.

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #4359 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 10:04:56 »
The CA66 is ugly AF. The keyboard it took inspiration from was cute, but the CA66 with its enormous logo, light strip and 65% layout enshrines a particularly awful form of hideousness I cannot put into words.

Were it just a 60% or HHKB layout without the CA66 logo it would look a whole lot better.

Every time I see one of these things sell for like $500 I laugh.

Offline Venaros

« Reply #4360 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 13:50:04 »
Model M's sound bad

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4361 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 15:27:20 »
Model M's sound bad

I don't think opinions like this are accepted even in this thread.

/s
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #4362 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 15:53:16 »
Model M's sound bad

Adding one more: Model Ms and similarly big vintage keyboards are just too big.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #4363 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 18:53:16 »
Metals are overused in case designs, switch plates are overrated (or pcb flex is underrated) and any designs underneath your keyboard (but especially brass weights) are overpriced luxuries that make you look stupid when showing them off.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4364 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 19:28:21 »
Been several months since I used my 55 gram Realforce TKL so I dug it out of the closet & hooked it up. Just for fun I folded the legs down to tilt the board... and I love it!!!
REΛLFORCE

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4365 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 19:36:32 »
I love Elzy

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4366 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 12:13:21 »
Been several months since I used my 55 gram Realforce TKL so I dug it out of the closet & hooked it up. Just for fun I folded the legs down to tilt the board... and I love it!!!

I used to hate using the flip out feet on keyboards, but something happened a few months ago, and now I have to flip the feet down on every keyboard, or else it feels weird to me.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline c3h

« Reply #4367 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 13:23:17 »
1. Model M/Fs sound horrible
I dislike the buckling sound.

2. Most switches are too heavy
Love my 30g Topre. Anything heavier requires too much effort to press imo

3. Japanese keyboards shouldn't have kana legends
No secret only 5-10% of Japanese use kana input method anyways.

4. SA (or any other spherical high profile keycaps) are not for 'real' typing
They are nice to lay your fingers down though. Just not optimal for moving between rows.

5. Custom built cases.
Don't like metal cases; they feel too cold to touch due too great thermal conductivity.
Polystyrene case might be a better idea I guess:P. Warm, light, quiet and inexpensive.

« Reply #4368 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 13:12:59 »

I can agree with that in most cases. Especially when 'artisan makers' roll out their kindergarten playdoh level monstrosity and charge $40+ a pop for them, it's a desperate cashgrab.

The raffles as a way to get people to buy them is what really makes me roll my eyes. Just comes off as incredibly cheesy to create some false allure of being able to "win" something exclusive... that you're paying for.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4369 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 14:40:00 »

I used to hate using the flip out feet on keyboards, but something happened a few months ago, and now I have to flip the feet down on every keyboard, or else it feels weird to me.

Exactly!

Idiots who flip out the feet, for each time they do it i hope they spend a minute in purgatory.

Offline jamster

« Reply #4370 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 20:58:00 »
From the "why extra PCBs" thread, I had no idea that the term hotswap was now applied to keyboards. Suitable subject material for an "unpopular keyboard opinions" post:

The term "hotswap" applied to binary contact switches is a ridiculous affectation. There are no specific circuit design issues to address, no component grounding concerns. It's just a PCB that can take drop in switches rather than require soldering.

Or is there more to it, electrically, than this?

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #4371 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 07:52:24 »
From the "why extra PCBs" thread, I had no idea that the term hotswap was now applied to keyboards. Suitable subject material for an "unpopular keyboard opinions" post:

The term "hotswap" applied to binary contact switches is a ridiculous affectation. There are no specific circuit design issues to address, no component grounding concerns. It's just a PCB that can take drop in switches rather than require soldering.

Not at all.  The circuitry doesn’t care if an already open switch is removed from the circuit whilst it is still powered on.
Usual marketing wankery to loosely apply a word to keep it short and catchy instead of something more accurate.  Unfortunately accurate doesn’t sell.  “Press fit printed circuit board sockets” doesn’t have that ring to it.
How about something even the lay person could understand: Switches Held In Tight keyboard.  Should be on a winner with that one.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #4372 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 09:52:06 »

So if it's simple and doesn't require complicated engineering solutions, it should be named differently? From the definition of what hotswapping is:
Hot swapping is replacing or adding components without stopping or shutting down the system.
Socketed switches fit into this definition and are therefore properly called hotswappable. Or would you like to propose another, more fitting name?

Offline jamster

« Reply #4373 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 04:33:14 »
Socketed switches fit into this definition and are therefore properly called hotswappable. Or would you like to propose another, more fitting name?

In that case, my fridge has hot swappable beers in it.

In a slightly more serious vein, the definition of "Hot swapping is replacing or adding components without stopping or shutting down the system" is overly simplistic. The heavy implication through decades of system architecture is that there are a load of design issues that need to be sorted out for this definition to be met. In my own field (IT, I don't know anything about serious heavy machinery) these are electrical, protocol and even to some extent mechanical.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4374 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 09:21:53 »

In that case, my fridge has hot swappable beers in it.

In a slightly more serious vein, the definition of "Hot swapping is replacing or adding components without stopping or shutting down the system" is overly simplistic. The heavy implication through decades of system architecture is that there are a load of design issues that need to be sorted out for this definition to be met. In my own field (IT, I don't know anything about serious heavy machinery) these are electrical, protocol and even to some extent mechanical.

I think you just explained why calling them hotswap switches actually makes sense.  You can swap switches without the mechanical interruption of needing to unplug the keyboard, take it apart, desolder the old switches, and solder in new switches. 

Alternatively (if that justification doesn't satisfy you :P ), this is a simple case of the evolution of language.  The technically correct way to describe the switches may be different, but it's lengthy and overly complicated.  So a similar word was co-opted, as to the general population it is very clear what the intended use of said word is in this case. 

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4375 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 10:30:30 »
kirk did nothing wrong
I love Elzy

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #4376 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 11:16:09 »
Model M's sound bad

I used to think that.  Then I got a Model M and dropped it on my desk.  Didn't find the extra space to be an issue.

The buckling spring is a better typing experienice than any Cherry MX switch I have evere tried.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4377 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 21:43:59 »
What the hell is with everyone and their grandmother who designs a case putting a big brass plate on the bottom of it? It's the dumbest **** ever, barely adds weight, just adds expense, no one is going to ****ing see it, and people act like it's a needed feature. Giant brass plates on the bottom of your board are ****ing stupid and nearly pointless. Stupid dumb stupid trend. Just make the case heavier, idiot. Or put the weighted bit as an inline around the side so you can actually see it, dummy. Oh, does that tiny bit of extra work require too much design effort and you are happy being like every other nonsense designer out there? No other ideas other than an overpriced hunk of metal facing the desk? Ok.

Offline ysys

« Reply #4378 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 03:36:58 »
1. I don't like when one of the alpha keys is larger than others (\)
2. I don't like quiet keyboards
3. I prefer spending on a nice PCB rather than on a nice keycap set

Offline Legonut

« Reply #4379 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:20:51 »
There are way too many TKL/65%/60% boards on the market that are $500+, when that kind of money should be spent on real ergonomics.
Also, not enough split spacebars and switch top opening plate support.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4380 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 03:00:21 »
What the hell is with everyone and their grandmother who designs a case putting a big brass plate on the bottom of it? It's the dumbest **** ever, barely adds weight, just adds expense, no one is going to ****ing see it, and people act like it's a needed feature.
I would not agree that it "barely adds weight". A 60% in a case with thin bezels and brass weight could be as heavy or heavier than a TKL in solid aluminium with thick bezels.
Not that I would get one of these myself... I have only lifted some up at keyboard parties and compared.
I think a lot of the same effect could be achieved by making the switch-mounting plate of brass (and a brass plate has nice sound properties).

But I suppose the brass weight could act as an anti-theft device: if you are not into custom keyboards you would never have guessed that a keyboard could weigh that much and you'd just think it was glued to the desk.   :p

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #4381 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 04:43:34 »
Stock Halo Trues are way better than all these weird frankenswitches people are making out of Halo stems.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #4382 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 05:04:38 »
Stock Halo Trues are way better than all these weird frankenswitches people are making out of Halo stems.

Couldn't agree more. Although, I do disagree with your statement.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4383 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 05:13:43 »
Model M's sound bad

MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS

PLS DELETE DIS OPINIONS.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #4384 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 08:38:31 »
There are way too many TKL/65%/60% boards on the market that are $500+, when that kind of money should be spent on real ergonomics.
Also, not enough split spacebars and switch top opening plate support.

That's all you. Prefer TKL/65%/60% and avoid ergo boards and split spacebars, lol.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4385 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 08:58:15 »
Model M's sound bad

MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS

PLS DELETE DIS OPINIONS.

Sheaves sword

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
« Reply #4386 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 09:50:49 »

Wait. So do you agree? Or do you disagree?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4387 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 09:51:53 »

Wait. So do you agree? Or do you disagree?
Agree to disagree or disagree to agree?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #4388 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 15:56:49 »
1. I don't like when one of the alpha keys is larger than others (\)

Agreed. That's why ISO and HHKB are better than regular ANSI, although every ANSI user with self respect should use split backspace anyway.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #4389 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 15:36:10 »
Focus layout is the best
Also, Caps Lock should be a layer key (even on fullsize boards) and capslock can be accessed on another layer.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #4390 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 15:49:07 »
Focus layout is the best
Also, Caps Lock should be a layer key (even on fullsize boards) and capslock can be accessed on another layer.

To counter this opinion, my opinion is that bigassenter is one of the worst things about old boards, even when it has proper backspace it still puts the pipe key in a dumb location.

also yeah caps lock should not be on the home row imo
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4391 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 10:51:20 »
Caps Lock shouldn't even exist.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4392 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 11:45:11 »
Aw, then I wouldn't my handy navigation cluster layer switching key :(

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4393 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 11:48:18 »
I use Scroll Lock for that.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4394 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 12:19:00 »
You have a dedicated scroll lock key?  Can't say I miss it, though sometimes I miss having F keys.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4395 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 12:22:02 »
Both my Model F and my Model M have one. I use it on neither. I don't even know what it is supposed to do.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4396 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 12:28:17 »
Basically it locks the scrolling output.

Offline tentboy

« Reply #4397 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 08:43:50 »
IJKL is the best function layer configuration for arrow keys.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4398 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:43:04 »
Both my Model F and my Model M have one. I use it on neither. I don't even know what it is supposed to do.

The most useful use I've seen for it is: in Excel, it locks the arrow keys to scroll rather than moving the cursor to the adjacent cell. 

Is that particularly useful in the age of mice?  Almost certainly not.  But it at least does something! 

Offline Gampela

« Reply #4399 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 02:35:36 »
The Capslock icon of arrow pointing down looks incredibly stupid next to the shift key and ruins the whole aesthetic. Not that capslock has any place in the top layout anyways.

One of the most easily accessible mod keys dedicated to a function most people have zero use. What a damn waste. And it's not just useless, it actively hampers your typing flow when you accidentally happen to press it. Win key has nothing on this guy. Cultured people swap it with control or function key, anything really.