Author Topic: Need your advice  (Read 1858 times)

Offline fallraen

Need your advice
« on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 06:14:04 »
- Is this Keyboard worth more than 35$?
It was never in use and has its original box.
- Are these usual MX Blacks or these "vintage Blacks"?
- Should I desolder them and throw the rest of the board away or is it worth keeping it?

Thank you for your time.
Have a nice day.

Gesendet von meinem KB2003 mit Tapatalk

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Need your advice
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 10:37:32 »
Is it worth $35, absolutely, probably quite a bit more to some collectors. Though I have no idea how much.

Vintage blacks are primarily worth money because for a while the molds used to make the switches were falling apart. Combined with the fact that the old switches were already worn in, they probably did feel better compared to what you could buy at the time. It's no surprise people thought they felt better, though I'd argue they could be EXTREMELY inconsistent across a board. 

Today Cherry has new molds, we have more competition, better lubes, more/better alternatives. 
You can buy a full set of brand new, equal or better quality switches for the price of that board and save yourself a LOOOT of hassle. Unless you have access to professional desolder equipment, it's a hassle, and if you don't own good equipment there's a good chance you will damage the board and it's almost certain you will damage at least some switches (again leading to inconsistent feel).

Buy the board,
Resell it or split it up, the caps are worth money.
Use the money to buy a set of new, never used switches.
Profit.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 11:03:56 »
These probably aren't vintage vintage blacks, but at least pretool given their logo, date codes put it around 2004. But 100 normal mx blacks would for sure be worth at least the 35. I'm not too sure about the caps, they're probably laser pbt, if they are pom, that's a W. Pom is a fun to have around.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 18:20:24 »
these look like pretool switches not vintage, that doesn't mean they are necessarily bad although. i found some broken-in pretool reds that someone soldered onto a corsair board and they felt AMAZING smoother than any lubed "enthusiast budget linear" you could find and I would argue them stock to be on par with JWK's L1 series. Sell the switches and keycaps and use the money to buy a new board and make some extra cash

I don't know exactly how much these would go for but people are paying almost a dollar per switch for RNKBD's broken in modern-day cherry mx blacks so it is likely at or more than that in value

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 08:17:39 »
i found some broken-in pretool reds that someone soldered onto a corsair board and they felt AMAZING smoother than any lubed "enthusiast budget linear"

Do most Corsair boards not still come with MX reds in them already? Why would somebody bother desoldering the whole board just to swap MX reds into it? lol.

I have tons of older Corsair K65s and K70s with older MX reds in them I was just going to desolder and replace with good switches anyway. Maybe I should pull them all and sell them, since apparently people actually want them for some reason?

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 10:13:14 »
i honestly have no idea, i'm not sure if the model of the corsair board had been sold with older red switches so i assumed they were soldered in, your right although it's likely just an older model with the pretool reds although it is pretty rare so that's why i got to that conclusion. now that i look over this post i sound really stupid
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2022, 08:21:38 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline Kevin-3992

• kindlestar team
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 10:51:00 »
This should be much higher than $35