Author Topic: Apple Newton Keyboard, the time Apple turned to IBM/Lexmark for a Model M(ish)  (Read 3210 times)

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
I'm sure this may be surprising for some, but it turns out Apple once turned to Lexmark (a former part of IBM) for a keyboard design - the Apple Newton keyboard (model X0044). As part of my effort to preserve information on historical IBM keyboards, I've written a detailed and illustrated article on it!

It uses IBM buckling sleeve switches, ie, IBM's 'last stand' before yielding to rubber domes/scissor-switches like the rest of the industry during the '90s. More travel compared to modern laptop keyboards and no mush that's associated with domes. Basically the same design as most early ThinkPads, including the 700 to 755, 350 to 365, 500 and 510CS, and 850 and (RS/6000 Notebook) 860. In fact, it's a modified IBM Model M6-1 based on the ThinkPad 500 design.

The article: https://sharktastica.co.uk/articles/apple_model_m

285160-0

Included is a brief tour around the keyboard, explanation and evidence of how it's related to ThinkPads and the Model M keyboard family (via Model M6-1), comparison of two discovered revisions, and pointers on how you can convert one to USB (including pinout diagrams)!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2022, 11:37:57 by sharktastica »

Offline granola bar enthusiast

really interesting! i know little to nothing about older keyboards and recently started out in the hobby only a few months back! your website has been real fun to look around and read

Offline jacobalbertus1

interesting but not surprising as apple used power pc processors in the 90's and 2000's
Model f 122 USB industrial paint (daily), model f xt inbox almost nos Ellipse approved, NOS model m ssk , Model F 77 for class (special needs I was told I had to use a mech or a key beeper by the school) model m 1391401 silver label ( this was a factory messup where they stuck a 139101 sticker on it and sent it with a ps/2) model m 1390131 model m unicomp industrial case modded  and a model f at

Offline Kevin-3992

• kindlestar team
Interesting knowledge

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
I'm sure this may be surprising for some, but it turns out Apple once turned to Lexmark (a former part of IBM) for a keyboard design - the Apple Newton keyboard (model X0044). As part of my effort to preserve information on historical IBM keyboards, I've written a detailed and illustrated article on it!

It uses IBM buckling sleeve switches, ie, IBM's 'last stand' before yielding to rubber domes/scissor-switches like the rest of the industry during the '90s. More travel compared to modern laptop keyboards and no mush that's associated with domes. Basically the same design as most early ThinkPads, including the 700 to 755, 350 to 365, 500 and 510CS, and 850 and (RS/6000 Notebook) 860. In fact, it's a modified IBM Model M6-1 based on the ThinkPad 500 design.

The article: https://sharktastica.co.uk/articles/apple_model_m

(Attachment Link)

Included is a brief tour around the keyboard, explanation and evidence of how it's related to ThinkPads and the Model M keyboard family (via Model M6-1), comparison of two discovered revisions, and pointers on how you can convert one to USB (including pinout diagrams)!

Enjoy!

I bought one from ebay about a year ago and there's a NASA logo on it. Must be used by astronauts. :) I made another Apple Newton keyboard to usb converter.