Author Topic: [GB] Sentraq TK78 Keyboard Kit (Closing/Troubleshooting)  (Read 114142 times)

Offline SmithTheNinja

Re: [GB] Sentraq TK78 Keyboard Kit (Waiting for Replacements)
« Reply #400 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 23:11:34 »
Can't even explain how angry I feel at myself right now

Don't be too mad you haven't ruined anything, a little info and a part order and you should be right as rain.

I managed to get the resister and the cap switched, but it seems to make it less of a keyboard than before, but a much better lamp.  All the back lights are on, and no key presses register so I can't manage a way to turn them off, and power cycling doesn't seem to do the trick anymore.  Also, just as before the board isn't recognized as an atmel chip and can't be restarted while the back lights are on.

I think Skully is right and it will need the decoupling caps to keep the Atmel MCU alive long enough to actually use the board.  Any info on where to solder those and I'll try my hand and let you know what happens.  This poor board looks like Frankenstein but I'll be damned if I give up on it.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #401 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 23:36:27 »
Haha, thanks Smith.

Dooders or Skully, could one of you let me know what cap I need to get so I can replace the on that I lost? Also, as Smith said, where should we get decoupling caps and where/how should they be soldered?

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #402 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 08:47:27 »
Got my kit yesterday and did a quick inspection of the board. Capacitor and resistor are switched too.

Two questions:
- do they HAVE to be switched around?
- will this board work better if you forego LED backlighting?
pls gief bbv2

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:37:02 »
Haha, thanks Smith.

Dooders or Skully, could one of you let me know what cap I need to get so I can replace the on that I lost? Also, as Smith said, where should we get decoupling caps and where/how should they be soldered?

Any 1uf 0805 cap should work. Here's one from mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/0805ZC105JAZ2A/

For adding decoupling caps I think this is a reasonable choice:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/K104K20X7RH5TL2/

These are the pins to add them to. They are not polarized so the capacitor pins can go either way. Be careful as it will be easy to create a short here. Check your work with a multimeter before plugging in, sometimes shorts will hide behind the pin.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:38:12 »
Got my kit yesterday and did a quick inspection of the board. Capacitor and resistor are switched too.

Two questions:
- do they HAVE to be switched around?
- will this board work better if you forego LED backlighting?

If the board works without switching those around for you, no, but if you start to run into any problems that is the first thing you'll want to correct.

Without the LED backlighting the MCU should be more stable, yes.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #405 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 13:42:50 »
Assembled the board tonight. Besides a couple minor issues, I got it together and it seems to work fine. I didn't put LEDs in. Maybe if other people experience with the proposed changes above and find success, I'll add some later. I took plenty of pictures, planning on writing a small review/build log but gonna take some end result pictures in better daylight.
pls gief bbv2

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 22:16:43 »
Haha, thanks Smith.

These are the pins to add them to. They are not polarized so the capacitor pins can go either way. Be careful as it will be easy to create a short here. Check your work with a multimeter before plugging in, sometimes shorts will hide behind the pin.

Show Image

Hey. I was going to order the parts the other day but that cap is out of stock there. Are any of these close enough?

Specifically looking at this one. What's the difference? And what makes this one so much more expensive?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 00:05:46 »
Haha, thanks Smith.

Show Image

Hey. I was going to order the parts the other day but that cap is out of stock there. Are any of these close enough?

Specifically looking at this one. What's the difference? And what makes this one so much more expensive?

Yeah, that one is fine. The only difference typically is who made them and availability. Sometimes when one is particularly cheap someone will buy up all the inventory, leaving only the more expensive ones available.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 06:23:20 »
Haha, thanks Smith.

Show Image

Yeah, that one is fine. The only difference typically is who made them and availability. Sometimes when one is particularly cheap someone will buy up all the inventory, leaving only the more expensive ones available.

Ahh, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'll get these ordered tonight and get this finished up soon.

Thanks!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #409 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 14:30:13 »
Finally got the replacement cap and soldered it on. Not the prettiest job, but at least the resistor and cap have been switched.
More

When I connect it, all of the LEDs turn on but no keys register. (Same as before).
DFU Loader does not see the defice and Device Manger reports a problem "Device Descriptor Request Failed".

Should I go ahead and solder on the decoupling caps and see if that makes a difference?

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #410 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 22:04:06 »
Finally got the replacement cap and soldered it on. Not the prettiest job, but at least the resistor and cap have been switched.
More
Show Image

When I connect it, all of the LEDs turn on but no keys register. (Same as before).
DFU Loader does not see the defice and Device Manger reports a problem "Device Descriptor Request Failed".

Should I go ahead and solder on the decoupling caps and see if that makes a difference?

Yeah, that'd be a good next step. I'm currently testing it as well to see what the best way to move forward is.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #411 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 19:09:09 »
More
Show Image

Yeah, that'd be a good next step. I'm currently testing it as well to see what the best way to move forward is.

Well, gave it a shot =/ Got one on, but got solder in between two of the contacts. So I ended up removing it in an attempt to remove the short and then gave up hoping not to risk destroying anything.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:53:02 »
More
Show Image

Well, gave it a shot =/ Got one on, but got solder in between two of the contacts. So I ended up removing it in an attempt to remove the short and then gave up hoping not to risk destroying anything.

Do you have a flux pen? It makes fixing bridges a breeze. If not, just hold tight a bit, I have some components on the way and I'll test as well. Once I find a fix I'll let you all know and if you guys don't feel comfortable doing it yourselves you can send your board to me.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 23:02:52 »
More
Show Image

Do you have a flux pen? It makes fixing bridges a breeze. If not, just hold tight a bit, I have some components on the way and I'll test as well. Once I find a fix I'll let you all know and if you guys don't feel comfortable doing it yourselves you can send your board to me.

Thanks dooders. I'll hold tight for a bit.

I do not have a flux pen, but I might invest in one if that's what I'll need as a solution.

Offline SmithTheNinja

« Reply #414 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:33:40 »

Well that was a challenge, but the caps ended up getting on correctly eventually.  The caps helped it go from a lamp to a keyboard that can have the LEDs turned on and off at will.  It still won't flash which is pretty odd as it correctly identifies as an Atmel again, but I'm thinking it might just be a crappy .hex file or something on my part.  Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised, I did not think this thing would be coming back from the dead.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:37:05 by SmithTheNinja »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #415 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 23:17:21 »
Show Image

Well that was a challenge, but the caps ended up getting on correctly eventually.  The caps helped it go from a lamp to a keyboard that can have the LEDs turned on and off at will.  It still won't flash which is pretty odd as it correctly identifies as an Atmel again, but I'm thinking it might just be a crappy .hex file or something on my part.  Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised, I did not think this thing would be coming back from the dead.

I'll have to give this another shot at getting those caps on there. Thanks for instilling some confidence.

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #416 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 23:41:23 »
Hey all, any updates on this? My board still hasn't shipped, but I'm guessing that's because all the issues that the boards came with. I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can do to help speed the process along. I already built my Sentraq 60-X and I'm itching to start work on this one.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 18:28:22 »
More
Show Image

Hey doodersbrother, have you gotten your components and successfully fixed one of the most recent pcbs?

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #418 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 21:45:33 »
Hey all, any updates on this? My board still hasn't shipped, but I'm guessing that's because all the issues that the boards came with. I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can do to help speed the process along. I already built my Sentraq 60-X and I'm itching to start work on this one.

I'm wanting to make sure the PCB is fixed before shipping. I'm building one this weekend to confirm, and if it all works fine I'll ship it a few days after. I'll post an update as soon as I find out

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #419 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 21:46:50 »
More
Show Image

Hey doodersbrother, have you gotten your components and successfully fixed one of the most recent pcbs?

Not fully, I'm assembling a fixed board this weekend to confirm.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 21:49:28 »
More
Show Image

Not fully, I'm assembling a fixed board this weekend to confirm.

Eagerly awaiting good results. I'd like to get this build finished up.

Offline doodersbrother

Re: [GB] Sentraq TK78 Keyboard Kit (Closing/Troubleshooting)
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:17:58 »
I FINALLY swapped the components on the PCBs and assembled the orders for those who needed that, so I'll be able to get all the last orders out soon and wrap up this GB. Sorry again for the multiple delays on this GB, as well as the issues with the PCB.

Offline scramm

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:33:21 »
I FINALLY swapped the components on the PCBs and assembled the orders for those who needed that, so I'll be able to get all the last orders out soon and wrap up this GB. Sorry again for the multiple delays on this GB, as well as the issues with the PCB.
Awesome!! Thanks for all your hard work dooders

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 23:33:26 »

Great news! How do you feel about fixing my PCB? I'm no good at this SMD soldering ='[

Offline SmithTheNinja

« Reply #424 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 21:24:48 »
EDIT: After further inspection I'm an a**hole, I don't see the caps, but who cares this thing works!?

Assembled board received, flashed successfully and everything works as intended including back lighting. 

I'm not sure why when I first tested it only the bottom row was lighting up and around half the keys wouldn't respond, I'm guessing something must have shifted during shipping and was shorting out on the case while I tested the first round through., glad I got around to trying it out for real today.

Just wanted to say thanks Dooders, for sticking it through and putting in so much hard work and dedication to making things right, it's been one hell of a ride and I've probably been a jerk on more than a few occasions during this group buy, but after typing this post on the now fully functional TK-78R I have to say it was worth it.

Much love, happy clacking, and happy easter!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 13:20:08 by SmithTheNinja »

Offline breitling

« Reply #425 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 10:09:15 »
if anyone is looking for a purple one, i have mine posted in the classifieds.

Offline scramm

« Reply #426 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 11:00:10 »
Any updates on when the last ones will be shipping?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #427 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 21:57:25 »
So, I finally got around to muscling out all the details I needed to finish my acrylic sammich case, gathered every last part for my build, and started soldering everything on. I had done a test months ago to make sure the board was good and I was able to report keystrokes through bridging the switch contacts with a wire. Sadly, it seems something has gone wrong and now I'm unable to get the keyboard to respond.

On Windows 8.1, I'm getting this error from the device manager:

The PCB looks like this (don't mind the dust, i've already wiped it off)
More

Any... thoughts?  :(

EDIT: I've plugged the board into a little Win XP laptop and I am getting keystrokes, but MANY keys are giving totally stupid keystrokes. Same thing on a MacBook. The keymap looks like this:

Man oh man what did I do
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 May 2017, 22:12:17 by mogo »

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 10:53:30 »

Just checking in on this GB. I thought this would have shipped out some time ago, but I've be pre-occupied with other boards. Any updates?

Offline scramm

« Reply #429 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 09:52:51 »
It's been 4 months since the last update.  Can you please let us know where this stands?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 19:34:01 »
Amids evening else, it would be nice if I could get some resolution for my malfunctioning PCB.