Author Topic: What's with the weird spammer accounts that keep signing up?  (Read 10250 times)

Offline jamster

What's with the weird spammer accounts that keep signing up?
« on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 05:26:06 »
I've not seen this happen on other fora- some new account signs up purely to post a spam URL, but in these cases it's a human who has taken the time to write a plausible post that's vaguely related to the thread topic.

Whenever I've seen this anywhere else, it's just been a generic cut and paste marketing spiel, often in caps. So it's interesting to see that the spammers are making a bit of an effort to come across as plausible, but it's still weird. I do wonder how these spammers are remunerated.

Offline fanpeople

Re: What's with the weird spammer accounts that keep signing up?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 06:04:24 »
The bots, they are evolving.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 06:39:39 »
The air conditioning one today takes it to a new level - we've had generic post then edit to add link before, but never self editing to remove a dodgy link.  Not deleting/banning to see what happens next
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:05:28 by HoffmanMyster »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 07:21:03 »
I've been thinking this lately too, seen a couple of essay writing ones that were completely unrelated, but a couple that were at least topic appropriate. The bots, they be human!
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline jamster

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 07:41:28 »
The air conditioning one today takes it to a new level - we've had generic post then edit to add link before, but never self editing to remove a dodgy link.  Not deleting/banning to see what happens next [img]https://cdn.geekhack.org/Smileys/solosmileys/laugh.gif[/url]

Yep, that's the one which prompted me to post. It's like a real human is behind this stuff, but the manpower involved must be prohibitive.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:01:24 »
It's like a real human is behind this stuff, but the manpower involved must be prohibitive.

I wonder, come to think of it, if the current state of the world and the number of people unable to find employment has meant that people are willing to do even extremely low paying and tedious spam jobs on the cheap to make a little money.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:16:34 »
oh no, that's just tp4

he's cool though, been here a while

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:23:47 »
oh no, that's just tp4

he's cool though, been here a while
Har har (^_-)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:40:22 »
In other news, I just learned the plural of forum is fora  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 01:29:48 »
GPT-3?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 01:33:54 »
GPT-3?

Turns out rowdy isn't dead!  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 02:16:07 »
GPT-3?

Turns out rowdy isn't dead!  :)

The rumours were considerably exaggerated.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 03:31:58 »
The air conditioning one today takes it to a new level - we've had generic post then edit to add link before, but never self editing to remove a dodgy link.  Not deleting/banning to see what happens next [img]https://cdn.geekhack.org/Smileys/solosmileys/laugh.gif[/url]

Yep, that's the one which prompted me to post. It's like a real human is behind this stuff, but the manpower involved must be prohibitive.

I am disappointed, air con guy has done nothing since.

p.s. Welcome back rowdy :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 07:31:55 »
is this promotion-ception?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)