Author Topic: What is a Good Keyboard to Start Building With?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline DataBait

What is a Good Keyboard to Start Building With?
« on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 10:32:19 »
I hope I'm posting this question in the right place, sorry if it isn't.

Anyways, as the subject says, what is a good keyboard to start building with? I've just started my foray into this hobby and have been entertaining the thought of putting together my own custom keyboard. I've been looking around at different models, but I'm not really sure which one is best to spring for. I know I want something hot-swappable since I don't want to get into soldering just yet, and I'm fine with any sizes between 65% and full-size. I was hoping I could get some suggestions and recommendations from here. Thanks!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: What is a Good Keyboard to Start Building With?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 11:09:54 »

Anyways, as the subject says, what is a good keyboard to start building with? I've just started my foray into this hobby and have been entertaining the thought of putting together my own custom keyboard. I've been looking around at different models, but I'm not really sure which one is best to spring for. I know I want something hot-swappable since I don't want to get into soldering just yet, and I'm fine with any sizes between 65% and full-size. I was hoping I could get some suggestions and recommendations from here. Thanks!

Each of us has had its path on knowing Mechs. If I had some advice, in the beginning, I would like to be explained that there are programmable boards -really programmable, not ala Poker- that may allow some freedom to set the board's layout to fit my needs. Also, there are multiple types of switches that I may want to try. I think that a programmable PCB may be a good start. One with sockets to change the switches may be useful as a first board, as well. I would not use a hot-swappable unless I want to have a full-size switch tester, but not as my main driver. Also, I would like to be explained that building my board would be a rewarding project if I would be told that I would enjoy the hobby more from day one. Now, I have bought and sold, like ten boards, that I tried to find out that I do not like them. Some may say that it is part of the journey to be a Mech. aficionado, but I consider getting some shortcuts with the appropriate advice. Listen to what others may have to say to your question. You would be surprised by the multitude of viewpoints. I would encourage you to check the KBDFans site. There should be many other outlets to look for some options for a first Mech. but it is the one I use more, besides the venues to have my own design's plate cut and to source components for it.

Offline DataBait

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 15:50:29 »
Each of us has had its path on knowing Mechs. If I had some advice, in the beginning, I would like to be explained that there are programmable boards -really programmable, not ala Poker- that may allow some freedom to set the board's layout to fit my needs. Also, there are multiple types of switches that I may want to try. I think that a programmable PCB may be a good start. One with sockets to change the switches may be useful as a first board, as well. I would not use a hot-swappable unless I want to have a full-size switch tester, but not as my main driver. Also, I would like to be explained that building my board would be a rewarding project if I would be told that I would enjoy the hobby more from day one. Now, I have bought and sold, like ten boards, that I tried to find out that I do not like them. Some may say that it is part of the journey to be a Mech. aficionado, but I consider getting some shortcuts with the appropriate advice. Listen to what others may have to say to your question. You would be surprised by the multitude of viewpoints. I would encourage you to check the KBDFans site. There should be many other outlets to look for some options for a first Mech. but it is the one I use more, besides the venues to have my own design's plate cut and to source components for it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check these things out.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by programmable? Does that refer to how the keyboard reads certain inputs or something of the like?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 20:43:56 »
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check these things out.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by programmable? Does that refer to how the keyboard reads certain inputs or something of the like?

Each key can be assigned a different scan-code to be sent to the OS when the switch is activated. Depending on the controller, programmable boards use different systems. QMK is one of the latest, between others, and even some manufacturers have their proprietary systems.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:32:50 »

Look into GMMK, they offer a hot swap TKL and full size you can get for not much more than a switch tester and they ship fast.
Bang for the buck it's a hard deal to beat, you can order it with or without switches and caps and it's actually pretty solid. I would suggest a magnetic USB cable (micro USB) and band-aid mod the stabs.

Once you have your feet wet you can upgrade to something more high end and re-use your switches and keep this as a spare and switch tester. Though to be honest, it's a pretty decent little board. Bonus, if you do wear out the swaps or damage the pcb (as hot swap can do), it's cheap to replace.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Alga

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 10:15:55 »
I am more or less in the same positon than you, looking for my first board without braking the bank. There are some DIY mech keyboards kits you can find in Aliexpress and Bangood that look good starters. Let's see what brings black-friday-mania

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 21:44:37 »
I am more or less in the same positon than you, looking for my first board without braking the bank. There are some DIY mech keyboards kits you can find in Aliexpress and Bangood that look good starters. Let's see what brings black-friday-mania
If you're in the US, beware, due to Covid shipping from China can be as long as 4 months.

As for Black Friday, retailer haven't even recovered yet from the last one and the stimulus. I wouldn't count on many good deals.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Alga

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 05:52:37 »
If you're in the US, beware, due to Covid shipping from China can be as long as 4 months.

As for Black Friday, retailer haven't even recovered yet from the last one and the stimulus. I wouldn't count on many good deals.
I'm in Europe, but doubt that it makes a difference. But 4 months doesn't differ much from a common GB no?  :))

The black Friday thing is a good point. While ones are having a hard time because they don't sell others are being able to save because they don't spend half as usual.
I'll end up buying in China any way. I'm not ready to spend 600+ euros in a high end keyboard. There are more things I want to buy  :confused:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 21:54:23 »
I'm in Europe, but doubt that it makes a difference. But 4 months doesn't differ much from a common GB no?  :))

The black Friday thing is a good point. While ones are having a hard time because they don't sell others are being able to save because they don't spend half as usual.
I'll end up buying in China any way. I'm not ready to spend 600+ euros in a high end keyboard. There are more things I want to buy  :confused:
Europe is better for Chinese orders is my understanding, still longer than normal.

4 months for a group buy?
I think that's the shortest I've experienced with them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Alga

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 03:50:06 »

Europe is better for Chinese orders is my understanding, still longer than normal.

4 months for a group buy?
I think that's the shortest I've experienced with them.

I havent been part of any GB yet, but I'll keep my expectations low then  :))
In any case it's a good exercise of patience.

The other day I came accross the Montargear keyboards. I have no opinion on them but they look like good starters and """afordable""".

If you decide on something let me know, cause I'm looking for options too.