Blue legends on White caps
61 (5.7%)
White legends on Black caps
72 (6.7%)
White legends on Red caps
32 (3%)
White legends on Blue caps
40 (3.7%)
Other colours (specified in the comment field)
35 (3.2%)
Blanks (no legends)
122 (11.3%)
Black legends on Grey caps
59 (5.5%)
White legends on Grey caps
31 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 346

Author Topic: Keycaps  (Read 414012 times)

Offline Touch_It

Re: Keycaps
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 20:37:45 »

This division looks great. But I still find it a little wasteful to buy a full set for my 60% keyboard. There are almost half of the set that I will not use and I can't think of something to do with these caps.
That's just how buying keycaps works. We all end up with leftover keys, esp. when its a group buy.

Yes, that's because keycap tooling is generally designed to do all the keys together -- including ones you don't need.

If you had separate tooling for each keycap size and profile, it would be insanely expensive.
I understand. Hope my comment didn't sound like a complaint. I was just observing the facts of life.

One day we'll all have replicators. Then I can go up to it when I want a new cap, like, "T, grey, doubleshot."
I c what you did there.  Also that would be awesome.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 20:49:05 »

This division looks great. But I still find it a little wasteful to buy a full set for my 60% keyboard. There are almost half of the set that I will not use and I can't think of something to do with these caps.
That's just how buying keycaps works. We all end up with leftover keys, esp. when its a group buy.

Yes, that's because keycap tooling is generally designed to do all the keys together -- including ones you don't need.

If you had separate tooling for each keycap size and profile, it would be insanely expensive.
I understand. Hope my comment didn't sound like a complaint. I was just observing the facts of life.

One day we'll all have replicators. Then I can go up to it when I want a new cap, like, "T, grey, doubleshot."
Yes, it would. Although I think even the Enterprise D's main computer would crash trying to make sense of the historical Alps stabilizer situation.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 21:17:48 »

Yes, it would. Although I think even the Enterprise D's main computer would crash trying to make sense of the historical Alps stabilizer situation.

Fortunately, it's a problem that only needs to be solved once.  :-)

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 10:47:50 »
Will these caps be compatible with infinity stabilizers?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #304 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:31:48 »

Only the Signature Plastics ones / doubleshots

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:52:07 »

Only the Signature Plastics ones / doubleshots
Sad to know this. I am using a KBP V60 with Matias switches. In general it's a great keyboard but it's not programmable. I was hoping to get an infinity PCB to replace the current PCB.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 19:45:47 »
How is the tooling going? :)

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 02:03:54 »
I noticed that this set perfectly(including correct rows) fits in a 75% and in a 40%.

I imagine Matias switches could become more popular because of those two sizes becoming more popular and Cherry sets having problems with caps for them.

EDIT: fixed 40%(now 41% i guess)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 02:13:17 by KRKS »
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline cryptowillem

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 11:31:18 »
I noticed that this set perfectly(including correct rows) fits in a 75% and in a 40%.

I imagine Matias switches could become more popular because of those two sizes becoming more popular and Cherry sets having problems with caps for them.

EDIT: fixed 40%(now 41% i guess)

I was just thinking the same thing, actually. And if you were going for something ortholinear, like the Planck, then you could fill that with just the alphanumerics, since that nice R1_2x1 is there for the numpad 0!
Got nothing for ya. Head back to camp.

Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TK w Blues
WASD Code TKL w Greens

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #309 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 08:26:35 »
Hi Matias. Any update on the keycaps?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Applet

« Reply #310 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 03:58:52 »
So, if I have understood it correctly, the first launch of new keycaps will be thick blank PBT? Is there a approximate time schedule for the releases? I'm really looking forward to thick doubleshot nordic ABS-caps ^_^ (will that be for real?).

Offline IAmTheGuy

« Reply #311 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:21:29 »

Yes, I've been waiting this for quite a while O.O.  Is it coming this year?

Offline dante

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 07:42:40 »

Yes, I've been waiting this for quite a while O.O.  Is it coming this year?

Someone on Rededit said they contacted Matias and was told not until next year.

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #313 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 05:04:18 »
Any updates for the availability of PBT Blank Black keycap sets?

Offline Matias

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 17:36:44 »
Any updates for the availability of PBT Blank Black keycap sets?

Our PBT tooling is already underway!  We expect to have samples in about a month.

I'll probably be going to China again in August or Sept.

FYI, we have ABS Blanks available now.

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 22:33:48 »
Thanks for the update! looking forward to seeing the PBT caps, I'm already using ABS ones at present,  but they've gone shiny on me. :(

Offline Matias

« Reply #316 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 01:21:03 »
Thanks for the update! looking forward to seeing the PBT caps, I'm already using ABS ones at present,  but they've gone shiny on me. :(

Yeah, ABS will do that.

We're VERY excited about the new caps.  PBT will be a big improvement...

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 01:29:35 »
If you know or can talk about pricing would the price be similar to your ABS offerings?

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Matias

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 01:41:57 »
If you know or can talk about pricing would the price be similar to your ABS offerings?

Blanks will be similar in cost, but printed sets will probably be more due to the extra cost/complexity for dye sub.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 16:52:35 »
You really need pictures of the caps on the website Matias. :mad:

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 14:15:04 »
Hi Matias, what legend options are considered for black PBT caps? I really want a set of black caps with legends, but top-printed laser-etched ones are so prone to stain that they look dirty after a while.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2015, 14:29:48 by ctm »

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline danielh

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 07:00:50 »
Any chance of Dvorak keys with Mac legends and extra symbols? Don't really care what the material is!

Offline DYSEQTA

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:51:31 »
I think I'm going to die waiting for these PBT caps to become a reality. I just want blanks and some of those sexy mini spacebars for my custom design. C'mon Matias you can do it!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 07:59:48 »
Matias pls

Offline Matias

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 13:34:34 »
Don't worry and (of course) don't die.   :)

The tooling for PBT caps is well underway.  I'm spending most of Sept in China, and reviewing the new PBT keycap samples is one of the things I'll be doing.

Offline pyfgcrl

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:30:38 »
Edgar,

What would I have to do to get you to make PBT keys for my two Laptop Pro keyboards with a Dvorak layout?

Offline Matias

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 19:28:18 »
What would I have to do to get you to make PBT keys for my two Laptop Pro keyboards with a Dvorak layout?

PBT Dvorak sets are definitely going to be available.

PM me your contact info and we'll notify you when they are ready.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #327 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 21:32:18 »
PBT Dvorak sets are definitely going to be available.

!!!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 08:03:34 »
With Blank PBT Keycaps, they can be Any layout I want!  :p

Offline pyfgcrl

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 10:24:48 »
With Blank PBT Keycaps, they can be Any layout I want!  :p
This is true.  Some like legends, though — I especially appreciate the secondary option-key legends on Matias' Mac keys — and am really looking forward to a set that has them in the right place.  I've been waiting for over ten years for a legitimate Matias-made set of keys with a DSK layout.  PBT just makes it a bonus.  Super stoked.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #330 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 14:50:20 »
Can we already order the PBT blanks?

Offline chalks

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 20:06:30 »
Matias, are there any plans to make PBT keycaps available for the Ergo Pro? And if so, would it be ANSI only or would you also cover UK ISO?

Offline Matias

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 03:44:31 »
Matias, are there any plans to make PBT keycaps available for the Ergo Pro? And if so, would it be ANSI only or would you also cover UK ISO?

Yes, it's being done now.  We'll have ANSI, ISO, and Dvorak.  I'm spending most of this month in China to finalize the tooling.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 16:09:46 »

Yes, it's being done now.  We'll have ANSI, ISO, and Dvorak.  I'm spending most of this month in China to finalize the tooling.
How are the legends printed? I am especially interested in black keycaps. Are they going to be black on black dye-sub or some other method? Also, will there be ctrl keycap that fits caps lock place?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2015, 17:17:12 by ctm »

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #334 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:23:29 »
I'm surprised more people aren't interested in backlit keycaps. That would be my first choice, followed by double-shot (although double-shot is the best way of making backlit keys, as opposed to painting over translucent keys). I would say make all the double-shot keycaps with translucent  inserts; that way the caps can be used on both backlit and non-backlit boards.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:11:16 »
Personally, I think it's because a lot of backlit options sort of suck.  The ones that are "thin skin over clear cap" tend to wear through, and overall it tends to limit your positioning and choice of legends.  Probably a bit less with Matias (and Gateron) switches than Cherry, as they can diffuse the light a bit.

The backlit feature also tends to be mostly on "gamer" focused boards, and I suspect ALPS-style switches as a whole are more a "grown up" taste.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 23:28:41 »
I agree that most backlit keycaps suck - no matter how good the paint is, it will still wear out unlike double shot. But if Matias is going to be making double shot keycaps anyways, it makes sense to make them backlight compatible; whether users want to take advantage of that or not is their choice. Using a translucent material for the legends doesn't affect the quality.

Haha I don't know how "grown up" I am in most ways, but I definitely have "grown up" tastes in keyboards. I've never had an appreciation for the "gamer" aesthetic in PC hardware, including all those multi coloured LEDs. But I think some simplewhite backlighting, like on most higher end laptops these days, would be quite useful. It's not uncommon for people to work on a computer without the lights on.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #337 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 09:10:05 »
I'm surprised more people aren't interested in backlit keycaps. That would be my first choice, followed by double-shot (although double-shot is the best way of making backlit keys, as opposed to painting over translucent keys). I would say make all the double-shot keycaps with translucent  inserts; that way the caps can be used on both backlit and non-backlit boards.
I think the main problem is there are so few ALPS boards with backlit.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 21:07:52 »
I agree that most backlit keycaps suck - no matter how good the paint is, it will still wear out unlike double shot. But if Matias is going to be making double shot keycaps anyways, it makes sense to make them backlight compatible; whether users want to take advantage of that or not is their choice. Using a translucent material for the legends doesn't affect the quality.

Haha I don't know how "grown up" I am in most ways, but I definitely have "grown up" tastes in keyboards. I've never had an appreciation for the "gamer" aesthetic in PC hardware, including all those multi coloured LEDs. But I think some simplewhite backlighting, like on most higher end laptops these days, would be quite useful. It's not uncommon for people to work on a computer without the lights on.
It may not affect the quality, but clear legends are not appealing. Most doubleshot sets use interesting colors, and clear is not an interesting color.

My boards:
More

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 23:33:03 »
It may not affect the quality, but clear legends are not appealing. Most doubleshot sets use interesting colors, and clear is not an interesting color.
Maybe I'm just boring, but I don't want "interesting" colours on my keyboard. I just want professional looking legends that won't wear out, and backlighting for when I'm working in the dark.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 01:21:10 »
AFAICT the molds being worked on currently are for PBT blank/dyesub. The only doubleshots mentioned in this thread (to the best of my memory - I didn't re-read the whole thing) were from Signature Plastics. Has anybody asked SP if they can do transparent (POM?) legends?

Offline Matias

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 12:02:19 »

Yes, the tooling we're doing is for PBT blank/dyesub/laser and also for ABS blank/laser/backlit caps.  I'm in China now.  We hope to have it all done in another month or so.

Tai-Hao has double-shot PBT tooling.  We've requested samples with transparent legends.  I'll post photos once we've received them, along with photos of our own PBT keycaps.

I'll also be posting another update on the 60% keyboard soon.  The 3D drawing is mostly done.   :)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 14:28:45 »

Yes, the tooling we're doing is for PBT blank/dyesub/laser and also for ABS blank/laser/backlit caps.  I'm in China now.  We hope to have it all done in another month or so.

Tai-Hao has double-shot PBT tooling.  We've requested samples with transparent legends.  I'll post photos once we've received them, along with photos of our own PBT keycaps.

I'll also be posting another update on the 60% keyboard soon.  The 3D drawing is mostly done.   :)

So does that mean I can get a couple PBT dyesub sets for Christmas? 2015? Sounds great!
Safe journey!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #343 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 14:30:32 »
Maybe I'm just boring, but I don't want "interesting" colours on my keyboard. I just want professional looking legends that won't wear out, and backlighting for when I'm working in the dark.

I'm curious, where did you find a backlit Alps keyboard that's made with the workaday professional in mind?

My boards:
More

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #344 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:52:18 »

Lots of awesome news!

More

I'm curious, where did you find a backlit Alps keyboard that's made with the workaday professional in mind?

I didn't - I'm going to be building my own - not uncommon around these parts :)
If I can pull off backlighting then I'll order a custom PCB. Otherwise it would be easier and cheaper to just hand wire everything.

Offline Matias

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:18:04 »

So does that mean I can get a couple PBT dyesub sets for Christmas? 2015? Sounds great!
Safe journey!

Thanks!  There's still a bit of work to be done, but Christmas-ish is quite possible...

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:09:49 »
Are the blank ones going to be available at the same time as legended ones or earlier?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Reloaded

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:39:31 »
Are there going to be replacement keycaps for the ergo pro available?

PLEASE! I love this keyboard so ****ing much but my keycaps are getting really really shiny and feeling awkward

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 22:15:00 »

PLEASE! I love this keyboard so ****ing much but my keycaps are getting really really shiny and feeling awkward
Are the laser etched legends susceptible to stain or are they still pure white?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 00:30:29 »

Are the laser etched legends susceptible to stain or are they still pure white?

The WoB lasered legends on my Quiet Pro are starting to get stained after a year or so, and I assume the technology used would be identical with the new PBT caps. They are faring much better than my lasered PBT Leopold caps tho.
I think I would prefer UV print for WoB (because doubleahot isn't happening anytime soon) over laser infill. And Dyesub wherever possible, like BoW.