Author Topic: [WTS] Factory Sealed In Retail Box IBM Model M 1390131 + XT / Model M parts  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Brand New Model F Keyboards
Ever wanted to go back in time to a computer store in the 1980s and pick up some brand new (at the time) gear?

Acquired from a retail computer store that ordered this directly from IBM but shut down about 25 years ago. Rather than liquidating everything the owner decided to hold on to a part of his old business for many years until it became a part of my collection.

It is a pair of brand new factory sealed IBM Model M 1390131 square silver logo keyboards, in IBM retail packaging, and also in IBM’s original shipping box which had two of these keyboards per box, ready to go on that store shelf. The box’s part number and quantity correspond to the inner packaging. The photos showing the keyboard itself are from another set, for reference – you will get one with the IBM factory tape seal still intact on both sides. I also have the exact pictured keyboard available if you’d like. It’s from 1988.

I have one pair completely factory sealed, even the IBM shipping box is sealed though the seal is not too strong and the box has been re-taped recently. And I have the pictured one where the shipping box has been opened but the keyboards inside are completely factory sealed on all sides as pictured. That one has also been strengthened with extra packing tape.

Feel free to discuss with me over PM. One brand new 1390131 has already sold for $550 to a collector in New Jersey.

If you're interested, please send me a message.

I took apart and examined many IBM XT keyboards as part of the Brand New Model F reproduction keyboards project and now have extra parts for sale. No flippers/springs/keys available.

XT PCB - $20 shipped
XT foam - $20 shipped - the good variation - not the kind that has disintegrated
XT top and bottom inner assemblies - a few dollars plus cost of shipping a few pounds

Also I have model M 122 keyboards, everything minus the keys and stabilizer inserts - these can be parted out or taken whole. Looking for a couple dollars more than the cost of shipping.

Also selling off brand new IBM curly gray and black cables, brand new Model M keyboards, brand new in retail packaging IBM square silver logo keyboards (per my other FS thread), and prototype out of spec (non-working) new production Model F barrels from the F62/F77 project. Check out http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/shop if interested.

I am also selling brand new metal cover Kishsaver F62s and F77s for $325 as part of the Brand New Model F Keyboards project.  Order this month or next month and be included in the early bird round that's expected to ship from China in December/January!  Please take a look at the IC thread here if interested:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73363

Available now I have xwhatsit Beamspring controllers, factory made and factory assembled.  These do not work on displaywriter beamsprings.  I had a number of these made as part of a group buy and now I have a few left - order yours before there are none left! 

Finally I have a few xwhatsit Model F controllers available - you can order the beamspring and Model F controllers on modelfkeyboards.com.

148528-0
148524-1
148526-2
148530-3
148532-4
148534-5
148536-6
148538-7
148540-8
148542-9
148544-10
148546-11
88526-12
148514-13
148516-14
148520-15
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 May 2017, 16:13:58 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] IBM Model F F77, F104 Unsaver, PC AT, all ANSI+USB Modded
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:41:19 »
Just a note - to clarify, the ANSI modified PC AT keyboard uses Soarer's converter and the F104 and F77 keyboards have had their controllers replaced with xwhatsit's controller.

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] IBM Model F Unsaver, PC AT, and F77 all ANSI+USB Modded
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:46:32 »
Update: Some of you asked about trades. I'm willing to accept a trade for an F62 as part of payment for the F77.

For the PC AT and F107s available below, I'm willing to accept a trade for an F62 + something to make it an equal value trade, given that the F62 is worth more :) The F62 would need to have the unaltered, original powder-coated paint though.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:23:29 »
This unsaver is now up for auction on eBay, starting at 99 cents. I put everything back the way it was originally except for the installed xwhatsit controller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221702276246

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:25:20 »
This unsaver is now up for auction on eBay, starting at 99 cents. I put everything back the way it was originally except for the installed xwhatsit controller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221702276246
Hey Ellipse, beautiful unsaver! You might want to post the link over in the "member auction links" subforum though, I'm sure a mod would be happy to move this post for you.   ;D
Good luck with the auction!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:58:41 »
The other items available in this classifieds post are not auctions though.  I will just erase the unsaver part of this post after the auction ends.

March 2015 update - price reductions and I noted that I put the F104 Unsaver up for auction on eBay!  The auction started at 99 cents and finishes this Sunday.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2015, 23:16:15 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] IBM Model F 50 Key, Unsaver, PC AT, and F77 all ANSI+USB Modded
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:50:39 »
Last call on the ~half-price F50 keyboards!  I have 3 left, $105 each plus $15 shipping (US).  The last one from my first batch sold for $200.  Sale ends Thursday - after that they are going back to $200 each plus shipping.

I also have just a few F107s left - almost all have been claimed - let me know if you're interested or feel free to see my other classifieds thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67096.0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 22:13:44 »
Wow the F50s from my second and final batch are in such nice cosmetic condition - they appear to be from the same small batch as last time that was likely refurbished/repainted by IBM at some point and then not used much after that (though they still have rust on the top metal piece of the inner assembly like almost all the Model F's I've seen).

One of them has a very rare variant IBM Model M key stem - it has square instead of rounded edges and more tightly fits with IBM's transparent caps (the bottom right one in my photo). Model M key caps will not fit on top of these stems.

If you want one of these metal top/bottom keyboards, speak now before they are gone - feel free to request one specifically, referencing the attached photo, and you can have it if it is not spoken for. These could turn out to be a Kishsaver situation with no wide availability after the one seller was done.

I have just one intact foot bar left, and one other one that broke and had to be glued back together (very brittle plastic).

The keyboard community is actually competing for these F50s from a couple bank equipment purchasers - these 50 key keyboards are still used in bank branches today and some need replacements! I'm actually the only seller of these anywhere right now. One guy even initially wanted these shipped overnight as "regular" Priority Mail wasn't going to be fast enough!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 11:53:49 »
My Unsaver from the photos below has sold for my full asking price of $549. It sold to a fellow GH member :)

The F50s, PC AT, and F77 are still available.

I do have one last Unsaver available for the same price. I can send/post photos if anyone is interested. But this would be the last Unsaver in my collection. I will likely accept the first full market value offer that comes my way.

Who knows when another Unsaver will turn up?  Everyone has been wanting a Kishsaver but after that initial batch, just about none have ever shown up for sale except for one on eBay. 

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 07:28:05 »
My Unsaver from the photos below has sold for my full asking price of $549. It sold to a fellow GH member :)

The F50s, PC AT, and F77 are still available.

I do have one last Unsaver available for the same price. I can send/post photos if anyone is interested. But this would be the last Unsaver in my collection. I will likely accept the first full market value offer that comes my way.

Who knows when another Unsaver will turn up?  Everyone has been wanting a Kishsaver but after that initial batch, just about none have ever shown up for sale except for one on eBay.

Photos would be appreciated, for all of us that might actually want to see photos before buying it.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:57:46 »
Photos of my second and final available unsaver have been posted to the first thread.

Also an update - price drop on the ANSI modified, Soarer converted, thoroughly cleaned PC AT keyboard:  price reduced to $225 US shipped / $250 int'l shipped.

The F77 remains at $1,725, F50s are still $105 plus $15 US shipping, and the Unsaver is still $525 plus shipping.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:30:43 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 18:00:05 »
Bump

The ANSI modified, Soarer converted PC AT keyboard price is down to $200 shipped (US) now.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 12:22:28 »
Bump!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 13:54:46 »
Bump!

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] IBM Model F 50 Key, PC AT, and F77 ANSI+USB Modded
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 19:45:41 »
My last unsaver has sold!  I have a few F50s, a Soarer converted PC AT keyboard, and an F77 still available.

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] IBM Model F PC AT and F77 ANSI+USB Modded
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:06:38 »
The F50s have all sold!   The PC AT and F77 are still available.   Price drop on the PC AT.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 09:30:35 »
Bump!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:22:19 »
Bump!  Price drop on the PC AT!

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 21:18:01 »
any chance for price drop on 77? :)
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 21:31:53 »
If I find any more I may do a price drop :)

Offline Ellipse

Bump to add xwhatsit Beamspring controllers now available!

Also - soon I will have brand new metal cover Kishsaver F62s and F77s available for $350.  Please take a look at the IC thread here if interested!  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73363

Offline Ellipse

Bump to add some more F50 keyboards available from my recycler contact.  $125 each.  I expect to place the order Monday 8/25.  10 units available, 4 have been claimed so far.

The xwhatsit beamspring controllers are still available, and the F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial NIB project is now in prototyping phase. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:35:49 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] New Model F F62 Kishsavers/F77s; Beamspring controllers available now
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:35:42 »
Bump!  A few beamspring controllers are still available.  No more F50s are available.

Offline dohbot

Re: [WTS] New Model F F62 Kishsavers/F77s; Beamspring controllers available now
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 20:13:49 »
Gotta say, I bought a IBM PC AT Ansi modded from Ellipse a bit ago, amazing keyboard thanks so much!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Ellipse

Bump - I am almost completely out of the beamspring (non-displaywriter) USB controllers and xwhatsit Model F USB controllers - I suggest ordering them for any keyboards you have or plan on getting in the future :)

A few people have recently ordered a few units of each.

The beamspring controllers were very expensive to produce and assemble at the factory, and I do not expect to produce another professional production run in the future.

I will now be handling orders through the modelfkeyboards.com web site so please head there if interested.  Shipping will be $5 US/$6 international untracked - just add 5 or 6 units of "other customizations in $1 increments" and choose free local pickup shipping to save on the standard shipping costs on the web site.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2016, 20:27:38 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

I have about 5 xwhatsit beamspring controllers left.  I do not expect to do another production run after that so I do suggest getting one for your current (or future!) beamspring.  I spent well over $1,000 to get these professionally made and I don't expect to do another run.  These do not work on displaywriters.

I also have a few xwhatsit Model F USB controllers left if anyone's interested. 

Check the above post for how to order if you're interested.

Offline WNovizar

Hey Ellipse, do you still have some model f keyboards left for sale?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline Ellipse

I have just 2 beamspring controllers available now.  First come first served!  Please go to www.modelfkeyboards.com to order if interested.  These do not work on displaywriter beamsprings.  These are fully functional and tested.

I also have 3 other beamspring controllers that are not working and need repair.  My guess is something may need to be re-soldered / there may be a solder bridge based on the errors I see (described below)

On the first broken controller, the last 7 columns do not work (maybe an issue with the shift register?).  On the second one, two keys are activated when one is pressed, just for the first row.  And on the last one, the firmware loads ok but no keys register at any threshold setting in xwhatsit's GUI.

Offline Ellipse

Update:  I have about 5 xwhatsit Model F USB controllers left from the 2014 Group Buy, plus 2 xwhatsit Beamspring controllers left.  Both can be ordered through the www.modelfkeyboards.com web site.

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] Brand New Factory Sealed In Retail Box IBM Model M 1390131 from ~1988
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 00:01:38 »
New addition:  Brand New Factory Sealed In Retail Box IBM Model M 1390131 from ~1988

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] Brand New Factory Sealed In Retail Box IBM Model M 1390131 from ~1988
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 12:10:32 »
bump!

Offline Ellipse

bump - price drop!  PM me for details or check out more photos at https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/brand-new-in-box-ibm-1390131-model-m-keyboard/

Offline Ellipse

Bump!

These brand new IBM keyboards are still available.

I took apart and examined many IBM XT keyboards as part of the Brand New Model F reproduction keyboards project and now have extra parts for sale. No flippers/springs/keys available.

XT PCB - $20 shipped
XT foam - $20 shipped - the good variation - not the kind that has disintegrated
XT top and bottom inner assemblies - a few dollars plus cost of shipping a few pounds
XT style barrels (pin registration, not AT notch style) - whole set only

Also I have model M 122 keyboards, everything minus the keys and stabilizer inserts - these can be parted out or taken whole. Looking for a couple dollars more than the cost of shipping.

Also selling off brand new IBM curly gray and black cables, brand new Model M keyboards, brand new in retail packaging IBM square silver logo keyboards (per my other FS thread), and prototype out of spec (non-working) new production Model F barrels from the F62/F77 project. Check out http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/shop if interested.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 May 2017, 16:14:27 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

bump!  The brand new factory sealed square silver logo IBM keyboard is still available!  Best offers will be considered.

Offline Ellipse

Brand New in Retail Box 1390131 Unboxing video here from the guy who bought a pair of these (I still have another pair left; happy to sell one of the two if you only want one).

Offline snarfarlarkus

I remember  I bought a brand new 1390131 from 1avidcollector  on ebay for $429  and within in a  couple hours  of owning it, accidentally spilt a glass of  water all over the keyboard and after  a couple days a few keys stopped working :(

They really are a beautiful piece of art when they're BNIB NOS. GLWS!

Offline Ellipse

Thanks snarfarlarkus!

Price Drop!  In case anyone's interested.  The price is now about the level of those eBay units except you get the full original packaging and the keyboards are all factory sealed, untouched and unmodified since the day they were packaged around 30 years ago.

Offline Ellipse

bump!

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] Factory Sealed In Retail Box IBM Model M 1390131 + XT / Model M parts
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 20:31:00 »
bump!

Offline Ellipse

Re: [WTS] Factory Sealed In Retail Box IBM Model M 1390131 + XT / Model M parts
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:43:51 »
I'm almost completely out of the brand new 1390131 keyboards - I just have one or two boxes left.