Author Topic: [IC] GMK sets interest check and planning  (Read 256734 times)

Offline BimboBB

Re: [IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 05:24:32 »
It sucks that sherryton isnt contributing to groupbuys. It would be so much help. But no, its better one guy makes his profit and keep 30% of the community left out. Great show!

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 05:50:06 »
Are you still leaving the white/beige and Olivetti options in this now that Originative have come out with these sets? Unfortunately they do not have the language packs, however.
They haven't! They just doing a pre order (similar to a group buy, but with much higher profit ranges)

From the images it appears that sherryton has already received a large number of sets (or at least production has been completed). I believe the pre-order is so called because he still has to attend to sorting and packaging, etc.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
AW: Re: [IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 06:27:08 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 06:31:42 by mbc »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 06:32:56 »
It sucks that sherryton isnt contributing to groupbuys. It would be so much help. But no, its better one guy makes his profit and keep 30% of the community left out. Great show!

How is he in any way stopping a group buy from happening?

I'm honestly surprised that the wack jobs here don't troll GMK themselves for making caps at a profit.  Also I heard that Filco makes a profit on their boards. BOYCOTT!!!!!111one

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:10:27 »

I'm honestly surprised that the wack jobs here don't troll GMK themselves for making caps at a profit.  Also I heard that Filco makes a profit on their boards. BOYCOTT!!!!!111one

Be real though, the initial prices were... kind of rediculous IMO.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline metafour

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:29:37 »

Cheers,

Are you sure they weren't orangiculous?!

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:36:36 »

Where did i wrote that? Reading!!!!!111one

Its not about the profit itself, its about making profit on cost of the community rather than contributing to the community. (and at least Filco offers various language packs!)
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:41:20 by BimboBB »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:40:38 »
You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:54:43 »
You can exchange this word with whatever you prefer it means. It doesnt change my point.

Offline korne

• comscan
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:23:16 »
How hard is to include 1 Big enter + 1 left shift + 1 <> key?
I beat i will increase the price x set 1$ maybe 2$ and everyone should be happy (even if we don't get full compatibility) But atleast give the option to the people.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:26:14 »
You can exchange this word with whatever you prefer it means. It doesnt change my point.
alright then, full derailment I guess.  Here we go...

Anything that anyone has ever bought has profited someone.  When the "community" buys pieces of plastic, GMK profits.  Therefore, they profit at the cost of the community.  They in turn bought plastic from some supplier, so they indirectly profited off of the "community". Same with shipping companies, banking companies, etc.  If you add retail, there is one more step in the chain that takes profit.  That cost pays for certain services and for risk.  Sometimes someone decides to perform that service for cheap/free and pass the risk to the buyers.  That is called a group buy and it will happen whether or not there is retail available.

That's the way the world works dude, and nobody in the "community" has any obligation whatsoever to buy pieces of plastic from one place or another.  And the existence of a pile of plastic in one place does not have to have any implication for piles of plastic in another place.  Do what you want and quit your *****ing.  God, you're such a friggin hippie.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:41:44 »
Well said metalliqaz.

Well... up until the hippie part.  ;)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:45:14 »

Cheers,

Really?  I can get KBs from Costar identical to Filco TKLs for $50ea at MOQ levels... how much cheaper do you think Diatec pays for larger Q ?  Are you trolling Diatec for that?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #263 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:00:50 »

Cheers,

Really?  I can get KBs from Costar identical to Filco TKLs for $50ea at MOQ levels... how much cheaper do you think Diatec pays for larger Q ?  Are you trolling Diatec for that?

Do I own a filco? No. Are you comparing apples and oranges? Yes. You have an alternative for getting the same product at a lesser cost: Either through costar directly or through another manufacturer (CM for instance). Furthermore, you're comparing Brand value to product value. People put a premium on Filco keyboards just like they put a premium on Apple products. However, this seller is not branding the GMK product as its own, it's selling it specifically as a GMK "Cherry" product.

I wasn't trolling, good sir. My intentions were to give my opinion, not to stir others up or to flame. I think my  definition of the word and yours are different.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:43:42 »
I wasn't trolling, good sir. My intentions were to give my opinion, not to stir others up or to flame. I think my  definition of the word and yours are different.
Cheers,

It's important to qualify opinions with your background knowledge.  I have run a business, have you?  People seem to be forgetting that when you buy a product from a business you are paying not just for a product.  A business has to pay for the product (shipping, import duties, packaging), its employees, store footprint (web/merchant services, warehousing), general overhead (entity taxes, accounting, ...)

The biggest thing of all beyond all that stuff I just mentioned is RISK.  Until a certain percentage of sales are made, the accounting entries are all in RED.  This is still a small market, but it does have the opportunity for growth.  Sure, CM is doing a bang up job (as are others) in getting mech boards out there, but how many people are even aware that they can swap out keycaps?

So take a moment to think about how many sets it takes to get back  to having no more money than was started with.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:47:01 »
alright then, full derailment I guess.  Here we go...

Anything that anyone has ever bought has profited someone.  When the "community" buys pieces of plastic, GMK profits.  Therefore, they profit at the cost of the community.  They in turn bought plastic from some supplier, so they indirectly profited off of the "community". Same with shipping companies, banking companies, etc.  If you add retail, there is one more step in the chain that takes profit.  That cost pays for certain services and for risk.  Sometimes someone decides to perform that service for cheap/free and pass the risk to the buyers.  That is called a group buy and it will happen whether or not there is retail available.

That's the way the world works dude, and nobody in the "community" has any obligation whatsoever to buy pieces of plastic from one place or another.  And the existence of a pile of plastic in one place does not have to have any implication for piles of plastic in another place.  Do what you want and quit your *****ing.  God, you're such a friggin hippie.

I have no clue what you are defending here? Once again, I don’t have a problem with somebody making a profit. I am just claiming for more options, which might be possible if things would be done different. The way its currently done (by sherryton ie.) isn’t satisfying for me (and quite sure for a few other people as well). That’s everything. No reason to get rude, yelling on hippies or explaining mickey mouse economics.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:55:45 »
If you don't like sherryton price or options offered, don't buy it from them. But this thread is not the place for that discussion. If people would rather keep voting for olivetti to win and have that produced for the groupbuy that is fine by me. I leave the final options up to the community.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:15:00 »

quit *****ing and put up 30k of your own money then.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:35:58 »
^ This is why I love you, demik. You get it. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:56:48 »

How about a traditional groupbuy instead, like lysol is trying to arrange here? If someone wants to participate with 30k upfront he can do that as well within a GB.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:02:28 »
As soon the GMK news broke, I was a little skeptical about how friendly they would be to group buys.  I think it would be great to get one going, but with that MOQ it is very difficult.  7bit reached those levels, but many others have not.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:08:47 »

How about a traditional groupbuy instead, like lysol is trying to arrange here? If someone wants to participate with 30k upfront he can do that as well within a GB.

Why are you complaining, a GB is still going to happen AND we can order a set right now. Best of both worlds
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:10:27 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:14:26 by baldgye »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:38:46 »

because sherry did this before this was a thing? He paid and took the risk.

do you need me to explain it like you're a 5 year old?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:47:40 »
Criticism lol

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:36:57 »
Current polling, trend on colorway took a big change. Dolch is still currently in the lead, but only just with SkiData and TA tied for 2nd by slim margins with handarbiet now in third. Language choice remains fairly steady with US, GB, DE and ES still in the majority in that order. SF and NO are likely to happen, FR is getting there, everything else is still up in the air.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
[IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:43:40 »
Go multicolour rainbow awesome!
Thanks for the update Lysol

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:45:06 »

Now I'm going to blame solely you for crushing my coffee on cream dreams. :p
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline korne

• comscan
« Reply #278 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:45:15 »
thx for the effort u put with this GB lysol :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:51:24 »

No, orange and charcoal so I don't have to organize that gb :P

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
[IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:52:23 »
Coffee n cream was my second!!

Hah guess so eh tj. I'll help if you end up having to do it :p

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:00:11 »
Convince more people to vote for SkiData, problem solved?
Also, it seems there have not been a whole lot of suggestions for new colorways. It's still not too late to add some other choices. I had a look through the post Klaxon thread, and there are some things in there but i don't want to step across on that and just add them if those would be preferred to have made by SP.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:05:42 by lysol »

Offline Leewei

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:13:14 »
I saw a picture earlier in the classified section of granite/black set and it looks really nice. How about something like a granite set except instead of the granite blueish color have it be maroon/black set? I am just trying to suggest a new colorway. Also you can see the granite/black in nntnam's auction in classified for more pictures.
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:14:03 »
I saw a picture earlier in the classified section of granite/black set and it looks really nice. How about something like a granite set except instead of the granite blueish color have it be maroon/black set? I am just trying to suggest a new colorway. Also you can see the granite/black in nntnam's auction in classified for more pictures.

That's basically a Dolch set
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:15:00 »
Although a GMK graphite set would be nice.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline Leewei

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:15:11 »

That's basically a Dolch set
Yup pretty similar except what I would like is white on maroon instead of white on graphite. Just a suggestion.
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #286 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:48:01 »
Not to shoot anything down, far from it as I want other ideas... but also keep in mind that 400 MOQ and how likely it would be to reach it when proposing colorways. Also for those so inclined a mock up will go really far to gather support even if it's just a simple 1 key mock up, my Cherry legends are readily available here.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:49:58 »
lysol my man, check my post over at DT :)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:54:40 »
I thought I voted for this already, and if I did, sorry for double voting but I just voted again!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:59:01 »
You can vote again anytime, if you change your mind. I will clean up the multiple entries periodically and delete older votes from same voter. Please remember that there is 'honor system' and please don't make fake names to vote under is all I ask.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:00:41 by lysol »

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:10:38 »
You can vote again anytime, if you change your mind. I will clean up the multiple entries periodically and delete older votes from same voter. Please remember that there is 'honor system' and please don't make fake names to vote under is all I ask.

Thanks Lysol.. I just updated my vote.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:42:12 »
Please keep the arguments about vendor activity out of here. Thank you.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:43:09 »
yeah sorry about that lysol.

but i dont take kindly to noobs spreading FUD simply just because they're told how things are instead of speculating.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:00:12 »
lysol, can you add this set to the IC. I bet we could get a 400 MOQ from it. Since Dolch should be off the table now...

Not my pic, btw. Someone please claim credit for it. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #294 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:04:14 »
lysol, can you add this set to the IC. I bet we could get a 400 MOQ from it. Since Dolch should be off the table now...

Yes, yes, yes! This is one of the very few abs sets (SkyWyRe too) I'd ever be interested in buying.

Offline metafour

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:04:47 »

Not my pic, btw. Someone please claim credit for it. :)
Show Image

Is there a confirmed Dolch set in production already?

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:15:30 »
Need to fix the tab and arrow legends, but that's awesome.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:16:49 »
Is there a confirmed Dolch set in production already?

Confirmed, no. Not exactly confirmed. I have no reason to doubt that it is, though. I don't guess we will know for sure unless or until they show up on Originative.

in memoriam

Offline metafour

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:18:38 »
I have very little doubt about my not purchasing whatever ends up being offered by these group buys so I was just curious. Plus I voted for Dolch so I should probably change my vote if we're going to move towards that end.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:30:56 »
Sure, what are we calling this SKIDolch? Dolch SkiData mash up seems fine with me.
Another one that seems that it might have a chance... industrial grey on black, for that stealth look, what do you think?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:34:47 by lysol »