Author Topic: [IC] Proper ErgoDox case  (Read 40023 times)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
Re: [IC] Proper ErgoDox case
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 04:37:19 »
No no, just like with macbooks or mac mini, bottom cover is a separate part. For the aluminium model it will have to be some plastic to prevent shorts on a PCB.

Okay. That answers my question.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 19:42:28 »

No no, just like with macbooks or mac mini, bottom cover is a separate part. For the aluminium model it will have to be some plastic to prevent shorts on a PCB.

Aaaaahhhhhh. That's slick as hell. Sign me up for one.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 04:48:51 »
I'm organising aluminium blocks now to make a final prototype. I was trying with pine wood yesterday but it didn't work, it's just not a good material for an ergodox. I ended up breaking the wood and my last 3mm end bit, so I have to wait for new bits to arrive before making any progress on this.
Do you know a reliable and cheap factory where we could organise a group buy for those if the prototype turns out well? I mean I could work on few cases myself but I won't be able to make 100 or so in a short time...
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2013, 04:50:31 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 07:47:34 »
I'm organising aluminium blocks now to make a final prototype. I was trying with pine wood yesterday but it didn't work, it's just not a good material for an ergodox. I ended up breaking the wood and my last 3mm end bit, so I have to wait for new bits to arrive before making any progress on this.
Do you know a reliable and cheap factory where we could organise a group buy for those if the prototype turns out well? I mean I could work on few cases myself but I won't be able to make 100 or so in a short time...

As long as you make mine it's ok :P

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 07:54:52 »
Well I have no problem making 2-3 cases a week once I get the designs and toolpaths finally right, the problem may appear when I have to do 20-30 cases and some people will have to wait for weeks.
But on the other hand, everyone always waits for ergodoxes. I'm waiting for mine for over month. First I waited for massdrop to end the drop, now I'm waiting for it to arrive, and will most likely have to wait another month or so :)

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 07:55:42 »
That's a good question. How long will take for them to arrive? I also got on this recent drop. Do they tell us they shipped?

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 09:09:52 »
I think they will eventually, but they said it will take 6-8 weeks from the end of massdrop so I expect it to arrive in second half of October and will be positively surprised if it happens sooner.
Also if my end bits arrive tomorrow, I'm going to make a mockup of unibody case out of thick plastic. Not really sure what it is, it used to be a boat step. It's ugly greyish semi transparent piece of plastic but it's 18mm thick and should do it for a mockup :)

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:27:02 »
I desoldered the rest of the switches and populated it with Cherry double shots. Feels really good, can't wait for the real thing!

36247-0

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:53:40 »
I desoldered the rest of the switches and populated it with Cherry double shots. Feels really good, can't wait for the real thing!

(Attachment Link)

Looks really good indeed!

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 04:14:25 »
I've cut the unibody version yesterday - have a look how it came out. This material is not as nice as the PVC but that's the only thing with this thickness I had.

36389-0
36391-1
36393-2
36395-3

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 04:40:03 »
Nice, I wonder what aluminum would look like in this? I know! Awesome!

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 18:07:53 »
That unibody case is very cool!  I like the textured top surface, makes it look like an industrial machine controller, goes well with the keycaps you used. 

I need to get you a block of black Delrin or something similar, commission an ultra-durable ergonomic commuter keyboard.  Hey, maybe you could make keyboard covers of the same material, snap fit so they protect the switches?  Just speculating, that material you used for the last prototype just looks rugged!

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 02:57:17 »
I have a good news for those who like the PVC. I found 20mm sheets, although not in stock, I ordered them and should be getting them in next week or two.
The good thing is, it's almost half the price of the aluminium, and the total cost for the case would close in 80 Euros. That is for the unibody version, cut out of white thick PVC. I'm definitely getting this case I'm going to get for myself!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 08:52:32 »
I have a good news for those who like the PVC. I found 20mm sheets, although not in stock, I ordered them and should be getting them in next week or two.
The good thing is, it's almost half the price of the aluminium, and the total cost for the case would close in 80 Euros. That is for the unibody version, cut out of white thick PVC. I'm definitely getting this case I'm going to get for myself!

I would be interested in this case as well, so if you're starting a list, please put me on it!  :cool:

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 08:55:14 »

I would be interested in this case as well, so if you're starting a list, please put me on it!  :cool:

And me as well!  I've got ErgoDox PCBs sitting on my desk at home, this case would work perfectly!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:38:45 »
That looks really nice. Great job

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:21:46 »
Check out what I just received:
37716-0
Those aluminium bars will become ErgoDox cases tomorrow if I don't break anything.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:37:23 »
Those will be very pretty.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 01:31:12 »
i didn't not read into this thread since before you got the uni body out, i didn't like the original design because of the little bumps on the top. it looks good now.

But ill skip this, I just spent money getting opaque matte surface replacement acrylic layers made for my ergodoxes. the acrylic "layered" cases have grown on me and if done right they look good with opaque acrylic layers instead of clear.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 02:08:09 »
Gold : where'd you get those? I'm officially over the clear acrylic, gets way too dirty.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 02:31:39 »
Gold : where'd you get those? I'm officially over the clear acrylic, gets way too dirty.

PM moi.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 06:26:11 »
My god! I thought I was done with spending money on mechanical keyboards after getting my ergodox.

I am interested pending prices.

Offline gnusosa

• λかわいいよλ
    • http://log.gnusosa.net
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 01:23:27 »
Sorry I'm late for the party... But I'm very interested in these.
There are other threats talking about bringing the mass drop kits without the case.
| - Realforce 87U Tenkeyless | - HHKB Pro 2| - HHKB Lite 2 | All keyboards on Colemak. | Emacs for every task!

Offline effnish

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 10:51:59 »
Count me in for one if shipping to the states isn't too much hassle and cost. I have all the parts for two Ergodox keyboards except for the cases and these look like a great alternative to the acrylic cases.

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 14:19:20 »
Just a quick update. I was away for a week, working with colleagues in London office. After coming back home I headed straight to the shop to work on aluminium cases. I must sadly admit with my current tools I won't be able to get decent results. I messed up the first cut badly and it seems it will be extremely hard to get even a prototype right. My mill was doing fine with thinner aluminium cutting but machining deep in this 20mm thick boxes pushes it beyond the limit...
So for now I'll be doing the 2 piece PVC cases, should be able to cut couple every week. Then they will go to classifieds on this forum for an auction. Starting price for the set will be 60 Euros (to cover material and my time doing the machining and everything above will be sent to charity to support children in Uganda, using Bram Moolenaar's charity (http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/uganda.html#license).
As for the aluminium case, for now I'll be looking to find some cheap and decent 3rd party to cut them. I already found a company that will anodise them.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 22:22:42 »
Just a quick update. I was away for a week, working with colleagues in London office. After coming back home I headed straight to the shop to work on aluminium cases. I must sadly admit with my current tools I won't be able to get decent results. I messed up the first cut badly and it seems it will be extremely hard to get even a prototype right. My mill was doing fine with thinner aluminium cutting but machining deep in this 20mm thick boxes pushes it beyond the limit...
So for now I'll be doing the 2 piece PVC cases, should be able to cut couple every week. Then they will go to classifieds on this forum for an auction. Starting price for the set will be 60 Euros (to cover material and my time doing the machining and everything above will be sent to charity to support children in Uganda, using Bram Moolenaar's charity (http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/uganda.html#license).
As for the aluminium case, for now I'll be looking to find some cheap and decent 3rd party to cut them. I already found a company that will anodise them.

That's a shame :(

Nice going on the charity! But sadly too expensive for me :(

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 01:33:46 »

You recon? What would be a good price then?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 09:54:29 »

You recon? What would be a good price then?

Oh no, you misunderstood me. I'm not saying it is a bad price, just that I can't afford it right now! :)

Offline seferphier

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 10:43:02 »

Think an auction is a good idea. set a base price of $30-60 and allow others to bid on it. Let's see where it goes from there.

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 03:06:48 »
When looking for companies to do the aluminium case I pretty much resigned. The cheapest I could find was 120€ for the machining service, the material I already found the cheapest source for 25€ for the case. This results in 145€ for the case itself... Seems a lot to me but if anyone is interested I can organise cutting. Also please remember the design (both original ErgoDox and my cases) is open source and anyone can look for the company to cut the case for them.
I also started looking for a company to do the PCBs. If everything goes well I should be able to sell kits similar to the one on massdrop but without requiring the wait (which pisses me off, I still wait for my one) for the same or even lower price.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 12:35:26 »
I looked into it briefly, when MD was doing a run of just the PCB (hadn't found MechanicalKeyboards yet ... they have them, and four dollars cheaper to boot). A coworker's father works in a shop with CNC machines but said they charge $75/hr to set the machines up, plus materials and something nominal for making the machine cut into metal.

Also, and I hope you might be able to help me, all I found were the files that were sent to Shapeways ... 3D printing, which could sorta be converted for CNC'ing a two-piece case but surely it'd be simpler to cut from five sheets of metal like the acrylic case is but I absolutely COULD NOT find evidence of a machine-readable description for that version of the case.

Any help on looking stateside for getting cases made? As in, files I can carry around to say "cut this" ?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 12:41:07 »
I think a stainless steel plate for the bottom, in a mirrored finish like the LZ-GH, would be amazing. Either way, I think I'm looking forward to buying one of these cases, pending actual use of an ErgoDox...

Offline Tarzan_

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 12:52:33 »
I looked into it briefly, when MD was doing a run of just the PCB (hadn't found MechanicalKeyboards yet ... they have them, and four dollars cheaper to boot). A coworker's father works in a shop with CNC machines but said they charge $75/hr to set the machines up, plus materials and something nominal for making the machine cut into metal.

Also, and I hope you might be able to help me, all I found were the files that were sent to Shapeways ... 3D printing, which could sorta be converted for CNC'ing a two-piece case but surely it'd be simpler to cut from five sheets of metal like the acrylic case is but I absolutely COULD NOT find evidence of a machine-readable description for that version of the case.

Any help on looking stateside for getting cases made? As in, files I can carry around to say "cut this" ?

I sent the dwg files for litster's layered case out for sample pricing for a stainless steel ErgoDox case, those should work for most laser-cutting/waterjet-cutting shops.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:24:01 »
Quote from: Tarzan
I sent the dwg files for litster's layered case out for sample pricing for a stainless steel ErgoDox case, those should work for most laser-cutting/waterjet-cutting shops.
Oh, yeah. Have they been there a while? I see a .dxf file but that's closely related to DWG so should be fine.

Hey, stateside folks ... If I can derail CZarek's IC thread for my own IC ... it seems I know a guy who works at a CNC shop. How many of you would like to buy into a litster style Ergodox case made of either steel or aluminum? No idea the cost I can update here, or make my own IC thread if ppl like.

I'll have my coworker pass along the .dxf file for a formal price quote with some tiers involved, soon.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline effnish

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:59:52 »
AKmalamute, I would be in for one maybe two depending on cost and whether I pick up one of CZarek's unibody cases.

Offline Tarzan_

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:08:01 »
Quote from: Tarzan
Oh, yeah. Have they been there a while? I see a .dxf file but that's closely related to DWG so should be fine.

Hey, stateside folks ... If I can derail CZarek's IC thread for my own IC ... it seems I know a guy who works at a CNC shop. How many of you would like to buy into a litster style Ergodox case made of either steel or aluminum? No idea the cost I can update here, or make my own IC thread if ppl like.

I'll have my coworker pass along the .dxf file for a formal price quote with some tiers involved, soon.

I'd be interested, depending on price.  When I got estimates before, the setup costs make low-volume orders pretty spendy.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg1022033#msg1022033

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 04:28:58 »
Ok I've updated the design for 2 piece case. It's more optimized now and whole case is being cut in one go. I will be ok to deliver the case with every single PCB set I ordered for the other group buy. I'm not starting on cutting the batch yet though as I want to try to fit whole ergodox and optionally tweak the design a bit. I also talked to my father in law who will be helping me with the machining process while I'm at work.

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 15:20:28 »
interested  :thumb:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 16:59:38 »
Ok I've updated the design for 2 piece case. It's more optimized now and whole case is being cut in one go. I will be ok to deliver the case with every single PCB set I ordered for the other group buy. I'm not starting on cutting the batch yet though as I want to try to fit whole ergodox and optionally tweak the design a bit. I also talked to my father in law who will be helping me with the machining process while I'm at work.

Can you post pictures of the design?

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:57:46 »
Designs are here: https://github.com/cezaryfalba/ErgoDox-CNC-Case
Here is the effect of the rough test cut:

42721-0
42723-1

You can see that the edges are not perfect, they will be cleaned and polished after 2 pieces are screwed together to ensure perfect fit and finish.
Also there is protective film on a faces of the PVC plate - it's nice and shiny when removed :)

Offline Coding

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:54:42 »
also interested in a full metal version!!!
but I didnt figure out how the pcb is protected...
will there be an aditional (metal-)case on the lower side?

Concerning your aluminium problem:
Couldn't you cut in the the aluminium 1mm deep, cut all out, then repeat 1mm deeper? at the end polish the cuts to make them fit 100%ly
I have absolutly no mechanically or cnc knowlege. It is just an idea!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2013, 02:52:30 by Coding »

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 07:04:31 »
also interested in a full metal version!!!
but I didnt figure out how the pcb is protected...
will there be an aditional (metal-)case on the lower side?

Concerning your aluminium problem:
Couldn't you cut in the the aluminium 1mm deep, cut all out, then repeat 1mm deeper? at the end polish the cuts to make them fit 100%ly
I have absolutly no mechanically or cnc knowlege. It is just an idea!

I still haven't figured the bottom out, but I think I'll use the same thing for both aluminium and PCB cases - 1 or 2mm thick  silicon rubber like this:
http://allegro.pl/guma-plyta-silikonowa-silikon-2mm-atest-pzh-fvat-i3689302854.html
It's used in food production industry so it's all nice and safe, not cheap though ;)

Offline Coding

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:02:47 »
I still haven't figured the bottom out, but I think I'll use the same thing for both aluminium and PCB cases - 1 or 2mm thick  silicon rubber like this:
http://allegro.pl/guma-plyta-silikonowa-silikon-2mm-atest-pzh-fvat-i3689302854.html
It's used in food production industry so it's all nice and safe, not cheap though ;)
ah ok

I meant if you have problems cutting deep in the metal, cut multiple times not so deep in the metal.
So if you only have enough power to cut 1mm in metal do it 10 times and you would also have cut the whole 10mm...
it needs more time but if you ask me (naive) it should work...

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:36:57 »
Yep I do that but this means cutting one case takes couple of hours and it just doesn't seem like it's worth it. I doubt anyone would be interested paying 100€ or more for a case...

Offline ffira

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 10:34:04 »
Count me in on the unibody design!!
Very nice!!

Is it not possible to use polycarbonate slabs for the unibody design (just like the old white macbook polycarbonate)?
It may be cheaper than using aluminum, but still sturdy and robust enough for the unibody milling process.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2013, 10:41:00 by ffira »

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:59:18 »
Old polycarbonate macbook was not machined, it was normal mould I think, and the unibody was just a design that the whole top case was made of the single piece of plastic.
I see a lot of you guys are interested in unibody aluminium case (myself included). I'm going to send out quotes to machining companies here in Poland to see how much would they charge for machining a set. Please remember the cheapest raw aluminium blocks required for the case cost 30€ a set and usual prices for machining are 30-35€ per hour over here.
And please I don't want to order machining in Asia. I know they're busy working on iPhones and other fancy gadgetery for this year holiday season already and there is no way we could get the keyboards anytime soon.
As a side note - anodizing and powder coating is cheap :)
And another note - if you feel like it you're free to use my designs and order any CNC company to cut the case for you. The designs are on my github page.

Offline Coding

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 02:36:56 »
I see a lot of you guys are interested in unibody aluminium case (myself included). I'm going to send out quotes to machining companies here in Poland to see how much would they charge for machining a set.
Sounds nice :D
Can you please show us a complete ready ErgoDox with your case as soon as possible?
Do you offer a sort of preorder to minimize ongoing costs for yourself?

BTW.: is here somebody willed to organize a groupbuy for blank PBT DCS ErgoDox keycaps with homingbar in bright white (WFJ) from signatureplastics?
I think they would fit good to the plastic case...

@czarek:
At the beginning of this thread I thought:
Oh my god, someone wants to make a case and sell it. Nobody will buy that rubbish.
But at some point I figured out, you use cnc machine... and saw the amazing pictures!!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:52:36 by Coding »

Offline jalli

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:17:32 »
I'm at a point where I need cases for my backlit prototypes but there don't seem to be many options out there, I figured this thread would be the right place to gather the information I have found and perhaps we can figure out a way to get the ball rolling on this.

As far as I know there are four viable ways to make an ErgoDOX case.
  • 2D Laser cutting using Lister's design
  • 2D Routing, Listers design with toolpaths for to make corners work
  • 3D Printing, using the original Case designed by Dox (flat, single or double tilted bottoms available)
  • 3D Routing using czarek case

The designs can be found in order at:

I looked around for some online places that offer these services, here are some price examples:
  • Shapeways - Original, 3D Printed Plastic     $1801
  • Ponoko - Original 3D Printed Acrylic            $524
  • Seeedstudio - Lister Laser Cut Acrylic          $142
  • Seeedstudio - Original 3D Printed Plastic     $2163

1 Interestingly Ceramic cases are cheaper but the top is too complex for ceramics, bottom might be OK.
2 Can also do PCB and optionally assembly and e-test, would need to confirm availability of plastic thicknesses or test with 2.55mm. Minimum order 5.
2 Can also do PCB and optionally assembly and e-test, Minimum order 2.

Anyone have suggestions for 3D printing or CNC milling/laser places that can make these and prices?
Antonia

Offline planet36

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 21:43:00 »
I'm interested in the PVC case.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 08:01:32 »
How about a new case? One ready to be printed at home using one 3D Extruder Printer?
We could create a new case merging Lister's idea (flat acrylic) into the Dox case.

I saw a few points into Dox's case that could be changed to make it possible:
1) The top has lots of bridges. We could change it in order to print this guy up side down, with the plate touching the printer heatbed.
2) Changing the top would require changes in the bottom, sure, these changes would be required to make the bottom fit with the top.
3) The bottom could be modular - we could print those large foots apart and then use some glue to fix it. This approuch would make possible to have both models - the flat one and the taller.
4) One extra top, to be glued or screwed above the plate.

Does it make sense?
My english does not help in large texts ...
Gosh
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 09:17:31 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB