Author Topic: [IC] Keepers of the Faith Switch/Keycap Try Library  (Read 4114 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
[IC] Keepers of the Faith Switch/Keycap Try Library
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 16:52:20 »
Been floating this idea with the Keepers and some others. In the past I ran a switch and keycap tester tour. Hashbaz has the ultimate switch tester tour. But it seems like interest to ebb and flow with the tours. And I had my tour set so that the minimum post limit was 100 posts, which was a high entry point. I think we’ve come up with a solid idea so I thought I’d see what the community thinks.

Switch/Keycap Tester Library

You know how you go to the library, it has all these books, and you pick a few that you’re interested in? Same concept. We’ll stock a bunch of tester stuff and if you want to try it out, just let us know. I have the tester in my switch tester tour link above. CM Storm has those 6 switch testers coming. I can buy/borrow/collect keycaps and make an Alps tester board. And I have a way to get a relatively cheap Topre board.

The thread would work something like:

-       CPTBadAss switch tester – Available

-       CM Storm tester #1 – On loan to XX

-       CM Storm tester #2 – On loan to YY

-       Keycap bag – Available

-       Alps tester board – Available

-       Topre tester board – On loan to ZZ

So we’d keep the boards on hand and have a perpetually running thread. If you wanted to borrow something, you leave a message in the thread. Borrower pays for shipping both ways. Have less than ## posts? Leave a deposit with one of the Keepers (probably myself or jdcarpe). When we get the tester back, you get your deposit back. Have more than ## posts? We lend it to you for the cost of shipping.

I think this could work for CONUS/Canada/Europe. I have a proxy in Italy that could help me distribute testers in EU for cheap (USPS shipping rates from me to Italy). BlueBar might be able to add his tester to this when he’s all done with his plans.

I know in the past I’ve been skittish about lowering my post count rule on my own tour but I’d feel better with the backing of the Keepers about lowering the rule.

Anyways thoughts, opinions, and comments are welcome! And maybe I can get a hold of a Model M…but those would be a bit harder (i.e. bigger) to ship.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:57:13 by reaper »

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
Re: Keepers of the Faith Switch/Keycap Try Library
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:36:31 »
This sounds like a great idea. And I like the deposit for the low post count people. I mean us newbs can't be trusted!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:38:39 »
First dibs on trying topre.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:48:26 »
Sounds like a good idea. I would like if there was some love for non-CONUS/EU as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:52:53 »
I mean us newbs can't be trusted!

Sorry, we can discuss whether or not the deposit is the best idea. The tour I ran in the past was completely funded by me and through donations from people. They were willing to take losses but I don't want to lose out again. Not trying to push people away but in this way, I can replenish things if they do go missing more easily. It's just easier on my mind knowing the person I'm sending things to. But this is all from my own point of view. Thoughts?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 21:10:22 »
I think this is a great idea!

I had tossed around doing a topre tour with deposits etc.

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:03:50 »
I mean us newbs can't be trusted!

Sorry, we can discuss whether or not the deposit is the best idea. The tour I ran in the past was completely funded by me and through donations from people. They were willing to take losses but I don't want to lose out again. Not trying to push people away but in this way, I can replenish things if they do go missing more easily. It's just easier on my mind knowing the person I'm sending things to. But this is all from my own point of view. Thoughts?

I honestly think the deposit is a good idea. Only complication I can see is people not having the funds to deposit an equal amount of the board. Because if they had the money they would buy it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:06:00 »
Havent gotten far enough to figure out how much the deposit should be. Just an idea.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:24:45 »
Interest.

Pls ALPS.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:01:12 »
I would be interested in trying out topre, in which I would test it out specifically for SC2 play lol =P
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:03:28 »
Topre is going to be out for so long  :-[

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:05:06 »
Would limiting Check out time be a good idea?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:07:22 »

Yes

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:08:11 »

Yes

Can we get our own personal library cards too?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:09:48 »
Only if you sign it poorly like you did when you were a kid. :P

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:10:59 »
Only if you sign it poorly like you did when you were a kid. :P
I still have my library card from back then. I didn't even sign it.. I like printed my name. Very poorly.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:23:32 »

:eek:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:41:30 »
I almost wonder if a quality of post rule might be better than a quantity of post rule.  There are people who spam their way to 60 and 100 posts to be able to do certain things in the community and I've seen people who have 50 or so posts, but they're all quality posts where you can tell they're trying to do something worthwhile.

I'll also be willing to add my switch try to the bunch once it's done.  I'll be doing different permutations of most of the more common switches.  I'll be doing a Red, a vintage Black, a Green, and a White (more if possible) then Blacks, Blues, Browns, and Clears with stock springs and springs ranging from 45g to 80g.  I know choosing the right switch and spring weight can be tough, so I figured that could help.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:42:17 »
I almost wonder if a quality of post rule might be better than a quantity of post rule.

:eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:44:03 »
I almost wonder if a quality of post rule might be better than a quantity of post rule.  There are people who spam their way to 60 and 100 posts to be able to do certain things in the community and I've seen people who have 50 or so posts, but they're all quality posts where you can tell they're trying to do something worthwhile.

I'm not vetting 20,000 people for quality of posts. It'd be nice but it's just not going to happen. Just not feasible. And I don't expect anyone on the Keepers team to do that either. I'm willing to consider cases but in general, I think the post count rule...whatever we decide that number should be, will work fine.

I'll also be willing to add my switch try to the bunch once it's done.  I'll be doing different permutations of most of the more common switches.  I'll be doing a Red, a vintage Black, a Green, and a White (more if possible) then Blacks, Blues, Browns, and Clears with stock springs and springs ranging from 45g to 80g.  I know choosing the right switch and spring weight can be tough, so I figured that could help.

That'd be cool. My tester has similar options and it will be nice to have multiple "indepth" testers :D.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:47:45 by CPTBadAss »