Author Topic: CPTBadAss' QFR Top Cover Mounted Orbweaver  (Read 5999 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
CPTBadAss' QFR Top Cover Mounted Orbweaver
« on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:30:13 »
I have a keyboard tray and its too small. If I want to type on a TKL board, there's not enough room for my Orbweaver as well. And I've been thinking about getting/making a little stand for my Orbweaver so I can type on my KMAC while I play BorderLands 2.

Now that I've got two case tops coming...I think I want to try and make a stand out of these. For giggles. Stay tuned for my build log. And if you have any ideas, let me know.

I think I'm going to try and acetone fuse the tops to a plastic vice and then clip it onto my tray or desk.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: CPTBadAss' QFR Top Cover Mounted Orbweaver
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:32:25 »
Wow, this should be interesting!!! :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline UniClown

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:34:43 »
I'm having a hard time envisioning what this is going to look like, but I'm sure it will be pretty cool. Good luck.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:42:29 »
I'm not quite sure how I want to do this but I envision cutting up the nav cluster area in both sets, then using the frame as supports which are fused into a little vice and clamps onto my desk.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:05:28 »
What's the goal of the stand? Is it to make the Orbweaver more mobile, higher, angled differently, etc?

You must be pretty talented to be able to play a game while simultaneously typing. Also, do you have a third hand I don't know about?  :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:07:51 »
I literally dont have enough room on my tray for the Orbweaver to sit. So I'm constantly unplugging and plugging it in. Moving it around. It's very annoying. I just want to have a little area where the Orbweaver can sit.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:45:54 »
Can post pic of desk/tray?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:23:37 »

Love this desk but the tray is too small :(

Offline Larken

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:49:25 »
consider mounting your orbweaver on your chair? :D sans the cable, it'll be pretty cool.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:18:29 »
Larken, that's a GENIUS idea. I think I like that better than my original idea. And the cable is long enough where that could work out.

...I'm going to go with that instead. Ok, its now being chair mounted. I have a Steelcase Criterion.

So it has adjustable armrests. I'm either going to have the mounting point attach parallel to the lever on the chair or below the entire adjustment section on black steel. Thinking the parallel mounting point might be easier. Thoughts?

Oh oh oh, and without the cable? So like mod the Orbweaver so its detachable?
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:37:21 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Larken

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:38:09 »
Was actually commenting that the attached cable would be a little bit of a downer, depending where your tower is at relative to your chair (or just use a usb hub to do some rerouting of the cable if needed, or if you feel up to it, detachable cable might be a nice option (but consider the possibility of  the cable pulling away whenever you move your chair)

I'd be honest and say I'm probably not the best person to be commenting on how exactly the mounting should be done, but I'd encourage you to think ergo. Find the height most comfortable to you while in use, whether it is level with the arm rest or not would be a subjective choice.

There's also the consideration of the mouse position - is the arm rest mounted orbweaver going to interfere with how close your chair can go to the tray? If yes, your mouse hand would be rather tired, (think of  your orbweaver hand as comfortably resting on your arm rest, while your mouse hand have to stretch out for the mouse in this scenario).

A more ideal position would to have another tray to your right, one you can place the mouse on with the same level of ease when you game.

Think something like http://www.amazon.com/Mobo-Chair-Mount-Keyboard-System/dp/B002YERS32

but without the middle keyboard tray. basically a gaming throne?

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:56:33 »
Hm, I'll have to think about this a little. I want to keep the setup I have since I find it very comfortable for me. The chair and the tray are set at the heights/widths/spacing that feel great. I don't think I'd want to make a dual mount for my chair for this project. That is a damn fine idea though: a gaming throne.

Anyways, I'm going to think this over a bit and maybe an ergo expert like Input Nirvana will chime in and have some ideas. When I have a little time I'll try and make some mock ups just to see whats most comfortable. Good thing I have all this cardboard from all the shipping boxes I keep.

I'm really stoked you chimed in Larken, always love your ideas. If you think of anything else, please please add them into this thread :D.

Oh and I have a hub hidden underneath my desk so the wire length would be fine as is but I like the idea of a detachable cable so that I don't have to constantly plug and unplug it.

Offline Larken

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:10:57 »
Heh, glad to have helped. It was something that I thought would be cool, though I didn't think you'd go for it as the mod might get slightly complicated (crafty? as in craftsmanship :D) Glad that the idea appeals to you.

This was brought up a few weeks ago in the Keyboards section; http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1624347034/talons-programmable-computer-keyboard-with-integra?ref=live

Watch the video, and go to around 1:10. Despite the failings of that particular keyboard, I think the guy got the chair mounting right in terms of ergonomics, although you might still want to test the positions out. The keyboard itself not withstanding, the ergonomics of how he splits the split halves on the chair are pretty sound.

It's a decent reference point to begin with when planning your orbweaver mounting. General rule of thumb, you want to be able to sit back comfortably and be able to reach for both the orbweaver and move your mouse at the same time without putting any stress on your shoulders.

There's also something else, maybe a little complicated, and its something way out of my capabilities - the possibility of making the orbweaver wireless. It's a thought, but to be honest, I'm not sure its worth the trouble (actually, given the price of the orbweaver, such a mod will cost more than the orbweaver itself. Not worth pursuing unless its a curiousity/technical pursuit/learning purposes). It's probably easier/faster/more affordable in the long run to so some creative cable routing and keep an eye on Acidfire's creations in the making stuff section  (which would likely have wireless) if this option is to be pursued.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:50:36 »
Hook up a motor to the chair and have your own orbweaver rolling chair  :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:18:47 »
Show Image

Love this desk but the tray is too small :(

WHAT UP BLOOD
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:41:54 »
Only you would've seen that demik LOL <3

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 08:44:37 »
This is getting interesting.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 10:32:57 »
i love that i am not the only one. the only one who builds something to play a game, where the build takes longer than the game. love this community for this reason alone.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 11:49:30 »
This thread is the reason why I don't use keyboard trays.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:01:30 »

Where do you put your keyboard then?

i love that i am not the only one. the only one who builds something to play a game, where the build takes longer than the game. love this community for this reason alone.

Haha thanks. Building things is more fun than the gaming anyways :P

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:07:30 »

Directly on my Desk.

edit: I have a qck+ mousepad. no keyboard tray will ever hold that beast.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:34:15 »

Directly on my Desk.

edit: I have a qck+ mousepad. no keyboard tray will ever hold that beast.

I have Razer Goliathus Extended, I can understand.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 13:13:31 »
I put my keyboard and mouse directly on the desk. NO mousepads.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:36:24 »
Placement on the desk isn't comfortable for me. Oh well.