Author Topic: How do I get started on making a groupbuy?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
How do I get started on making a groupbuy?
« on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 19:42:49 »
Probably wrong section but here goes.

I am looking to make my own GC but I don't know where to start. I have the idea and a pretty fleshed out concept for what I want to make but I don't know where to start. If anyone would be willing to point me in the right direction that would be very nice.

Thank you  :D
I was told to put something here.
So I did

Offline Rayndalf

Re: How do I get started on making a groupbuy?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 19:51:30 »
From what I've gathered once your idea is mostly fleshed out you start an Interest Check to gauge interest and see if there are any glaring omissions. It's good to have solid renders or a prototype in hand because IC is mostly "pregroup buy" and most people will see your idea in IC and decide if they will support it when it runs. As for reaching out to venders... I really don't know how that works, but if it's GMK Kono will probably run it anyway.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 21:50:58 »
Your biggest issue at the moment is that you're new, that will not inspire confidence, sorry, but that's just a fact. No one knows your design skills, much less anything about you.

Before getting into one, be sure to understand what you may be getting yourself into. A few good examples of how things can spiral out of control is the Kishsaver (not knocking you guys, it's an amazing keyboard, just an example of things snowballing) and of course the GH60 which began with the best of intentions. It's very possible you could lose money on this.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 16:06:45 »
Alright. Thanks for the warning. I'm just doing this for fun and honestly probably aren't even going to make it to IC.
I was told to put something here.
So I did

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 16:16:31 »
For small scale personal projects, documenting bits of the process in this forum (Making Stuff Together!) might be a rewarding process. If people like your project it'd be easy enough to make an IC post later, but transparency and community involvement will take you farther than you'd expect (faster and maybe even easier than ****posting your way to a reputation too).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 17:54:49 »
For small scale personal projects, documenting bits of the process in this forum (Making Stuff Together!) might be a rewarding process. If people like your project it'd be easy enough to make an IC post later, but transparency and community involvement will take you farther than you'd expect (faster and maybe even easier than ****posting your way to a reputation too).

I concurr that a first step is sharing your build with others. That may lead eventually to an IC if there is enough interest.