Yoe's 60% Brown Alps build
55 (56.1%)
Karura's LZ CP with Peacock
30 (30.6%)
HoffmanMyster's IBM Model M with APL
13 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:28:21

Author Topic: Keyboard of the Month - September - Vote  (Read 16390 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the Month - September - Vote
« on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:28:21 »
A little late again, but here it is. The poll for September's Keyboard of the Month!

We had a month full of Alps this week. Three boards with Alps, more than we've had in the previous nine months. Sadly only one of those boards got through to the final vote, but it is (again) a great testament to the creativeness of the members of this great forum, and their dedication to the love of all things keyboard :)

Without further ado...

Our first nominee is Yoe, with yet another 60% alps build, this time with brown Alps and a custom poured, granite-look case

Some more images can be found here

Second, is Karura's LZ CP with classic Peacock keyset

Some more shots can be found in the KOTM nomination thread

Finally, our third nomination is HoffmanMyster's IBM Model M with APL legends, Nightowl and Clack Checkeys.

For more images of this board check out the Buckling Spring thread here

Poll will run for seven days, and only then will the results be revealed! Good luck to everyone!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Keyboard of the Month - September - Vote
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:00:29 »
Yoe because ISO.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Hzza

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:02:31 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:04:40 »
It's always such a hard choice!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 22:50:30 »
Once again a fantastic final choice of keyboards!

Mind you, it wouldn't be "keyboard of the month" if they keyboards weren't great :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 00:38:02 »
yoe's
I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 01:09:06 »
Damn no love for my Koala?  :( It's okay. Karura's LZCP with the peacock set is on point.  ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 01:10:18 »
Damn no love for my Koala?  :( It's okay. Karura's LZCP with the peacock set is on point.  ;)

I's okay, my hard work with my wooden case didn't pay off either.  There's only one stand out to me, but it's not really any different than the last one he won with.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 02:38:12 »

I's okay, my hard work with my wooden case didn't pay off either.  There's only one stand out to me, but it's not really any different than the last one he won with.
Still sad that the wooden case didn't win by itself.  :(

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 07:19:02 »

Scandalous. You'll always be the true winner to me.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline themagicat

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 07:48:31 »
Yoe's

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 08:04:46 »

I voted for your wooden case.. I really don't understand the apparent lack of love for wood craft here! Your work is awesome!

You are right, it's not very different in the sense the caps and layout are from the M0118, but there are also new ideas implemented with every iteration of "my" board, and I guess that is kind of my thing, like it or not :) This time it was the laser cut version of the plate with a more snug fit (a good thing when hand wiring Alps), and above all the idea of making a granite rock look case from cast plastic.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 10:42:14 »

I voted for your wooden case.. I really don't understand the apparent lack of love for wood craft here! Your work is awesome!

Well I think people also appreciated the hard work that went into having a new switch made ;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 10:45:44 »

Well I think people also appreciated the hard work that went into having a new switch made ;)

True :) The competition was really tough last month.. very hard to compete with the Zealio.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:06:35 »
Good luck to all of you with your handsome builds.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:07:52 »
If you have any concerns/problems with the process surrounding KOTM, please keep it to the feedback thread that is below this one.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 09:42:43 »
That granite case is gorgeous god damn

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:10:31 »
I do like the APL keyset.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:18:48 by Snowdog993 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:41:42 »
Hard work and effort are not always rewarded when it comes to a popularity contest I think. :P Zeal's win last month was more of a statement for what  he's done in the community, imo. Otherwise, it was just an ordinary Viper. The fact he got those switches made and showcased them that way is what did it. These sorts of things always make me feel awkward, since I've never felt very popular in any context, haha; I'd never expect anything from me to win!

IMO, people like things that have a mix of visual flair, hard to find or obscure parts, and individuality (and sometimes effort :P). Sometimes things get a little unbalanced because of reputation or votes are made just because someone has something super exclusive in their build, haha.

Well, enough talk.

+1 for Yoe

We're only allowed one vote right?

If we can do two, then my second would be for Hoff's Model M.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:46:24 »
you can only vote once, but you just select it in the poll. You don't need to post it.  :p

Offline E3E

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:10:05 »
you can only vote once, but you just select it in the poll. You don't need to post it.  :p

Haha, thank you Air tree. I was used to the nominations!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:13:36 »
Hard work and effort are not always rewarded when it comes to a popularity contest I think. Zeal's win last month was more of a statement for what  he's done in the community, imo. Otherwise, it was just an ordinary Viper. The fact he got those switches made and showcased them that way is what did it. These sorts of things always make me feel awkward, since I've never felt very popular in any context, haha; I'd never expect anything from me to win!

IMO, people like things that have a mix of visual flair, hard to find or obscure parts, and individuality (and sometimes effort ). Sometimes things get a little unbalanced because of reputation or votes are made just because someone has something super exclusive in their build, haha.

Well, enough talk.

+1 for Yoe

I think the Zealios Viper actually does represent a lot of hard work on the part of its owner. We're all looking at Yoe's 60% this month, in awe because he made a mold and cast his own case. Well Zeal did the same thing, except his mold was for switches and cost a lot more. Plus no other board has purple switches, and FWIW his photo was pretty well done, too.

My boards:
More

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:15:47 »
The viper really felt more like "hey, here is the switch of the month" rather than overall board of the month. I think his work is brilliant with his switch, anyways.

But I'm not going to drag on this talk of last months winner any further.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:17:34 by Air tree »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:15:48 »
It's already been said that this is the wrong place for this continued discussion.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:15:58 »
Hard work and effort are not always rewarded when it comes to a popularity contest I think. :P Zeal's win last month was more of a statement for what  he's done in the community, imo. Otherwise, it was just an ordinary Viper

Again, people keep talking about that win like he didn't absolutely work his ass off for a long time to get those switches made.

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:22:54 »
It's already been said that this is the wrong place for this continued discussion.

If only people would stop bringing it up...

Offline E3E

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:46:56 »
Hard work and effort are not always rewarded when it comes to a popularity contest I think. Zeal's win last month was more of a statement for what  he's done in the community, imo. Otherwise, it was just an ordinary Viper. The fact he got those switches made and showcased them that way is what did it. These sorts of things always make me feel awkward, since I've never felt very popular in any context, haha; I'd never expect anything from me to win!

IMO, people like things that have a mix of visual flair, hard to find or obscure parts, and individuality (and sometimes effort ). Sometimes things get a little unbalanced because of reputation or votes are made just because someone has something super exclusive in their build, haha.

Well, enough talk.

+1 for Yoe

I think the Zealios Viper actually does represent a lot of hard work on the part of its owner. We're all looking at Yoe's 60% this month, in awe because he made a mold and cast his own case. Well Zeal did the same thing, except his mold was for switches and cost a lot more. Plus no other board has purple switches, and FWIW his photo was pretty well done, too.

I didn't mean to stir controversy with what I've said. In fact, what I meant was that it was a statement toward Zeal's efforts and IMO the pick epitomized that more than it did the board itself. No, what he did was incredible. The first community-built switch. In no way was I ever trying to downplay that, haha. :thumb:

Hwood. Where did I say that he didn't work his ass off?

Zeal's win last month was more of a statement for what  he's done in the community, imo. [...]  The fact he got those switches made and showcased them that way is what did it. 

I don't think discussion on politics behind choosing is a bad thing, but if people feel this isn't the place, then sure.  I can see how it can spiral off-topic, but at the same time, the voting is done via poll, so wouldn't that open up some room for discussion?

Personally, if pictures sell KBOTM, then I'm not sure how I feel. I have a crap camera, lol.

Anyway, I'm done if you guys feel it to be inappropriate, but I never intended on sparking a giant thread. It seems my comments about Zeal were misunderstood.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:12:24 »

Hard work and effort are not always rewarded when it comes to a popularity contest I think.

Offline E3E

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:20:43 »

Hard work and effort are not always rewarded when it comes to a popularity contest I think.

That was in relation to Nubbinator's wooden cased keyboard, the case being something he built himself, not Zeal. On the flip side, Zeal's efforts WERE rewarded, but that was based less on the keyboard itself, imho, and more on the switches he developed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:23:54 by E3E »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:21:39 »

That was in relation to Nubbinator's wooden cased keyboard, the case being something he built himself, not Zeal.

Yes, implying that this is just a popularity contest and that's why Zeal won

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:23:48 »
We could also stop bringing up last month's contest in this month's thread...

Offline E3E

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:06:24 »

That was in relation to Nubbinator's wooden cased keyboard, the case being something he built himself, not Zeal.

Yes, implying that this is just a popularity contest and that's why Zeal won

1) You seem to be taking this a bit too strongly 2) You're like, assuming a whole lot 3) We're voting on the keyboards we like the most for whatever reason we want, so it is a popularity contest.

Anyway, if you want to talk about this more, we can continue via PM.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:15:16 »
Hey, if it makes you guys feel any better, I had one vote for my keyboard for August I am typing on now.  And I know who voted for me too.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:16:16 »
Hey, if it makes you guys feel any better, I had one vote for my keyboard last month I am typing on now.  And I know who voted for me too.

Think about all the boards that were never nominated! :D
I love Elzy

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:17:40 »
Hey, if it makes you guys feel any better, I had one vote for my keyboard last month I am typing on now.  And I know who voted for me too.

Think about all the boards that were never nominated! :D

No kidding!  It's not like it's a big huge deal, I like the fact that people get to SEE what's out there in case they missed out on them!  I like that fact.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:10:16 »
There is a feedback thread for this stuff.

If you do have any more comments about last months or any month's nominations/results, please post them there.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 03:41:07 »
God Alps those who Alps themselves.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 03:53:42 »
Congratulations on the second win Yoe!  :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:27:41 »
That case is amazing and that whole board looks great.. idk what apls are (other than square looking switches?) but that board looks cool as ****

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:37:10 »
Congrats Yoe, with a fairly clear lead :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:26:01 »
Nice work, Yoe. Keep the original ideas coming everyone!

My boards:
More

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:52:42 »
Thanks, guys ️ I owe it all to the inspiration from all of you, GHers! And as njbair said: keep the original ideas coming!

Offline icyskyz

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:32:04 »
Congrats Yoe!  :thumb:
My collections - flickr | HWS Keyng Collector |

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:04:24 »

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:09:21 »
Bonus picture from my instagram feed..

Offline KarimDK

• Humorous and curious
    • my heatware
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 02:37:31 »
Congrats Yoe ! Nice board <3
<3 <3 <3 be patience,I'm coming to buy stuff

Offline E3E

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 21:15:08 »
Lol, it's more granite than an SGI Granite! Haha. Congrats. The case is really laudable.

Offline MyBoolean

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 00:33:29 »
wow. looks like a premium kb. nice granite looking KB