Author Topic: Donations and GH operating costs?  (Read 5289 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Donations and GH operating costs?
« on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 22:18:47 »
So I've been around for about 2-1/2 months now, and I only just today noticed the donate link on the home page, under Geekhack Business. What does it cost to run GeekHack? Who pays for it when donations fall short? How much would be a worthwhile contribution? (And don't say "every little bit helps," I'm being for real here.)

It might be good to have a page explaining the operating costs and presenting a compelling need, instead of just a tiny little donate button in the top corner.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Donations and GH operating costs?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 11:21:51 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47719.0

If I recall correctly I was told privately to butt out and don't worry bout it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 11:23:17 »

I seem to remember that being the public response last time that was asked as well.  Odd given that some people were basically offering to bankroll server costs.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 11:24:37 »
Yeah, as I recall, GH doesn't really need funding for infrastructure support. Any donations made to the site are made to Geekhackers, LLC (www.geekhackers.org) and administered by mkawa.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:47:03 »

I seem to remember that being the public response last time that was asked as well.  Odd given that some people were basically offering to bankroll server costs.

Yep. I wish it was more open in that regard.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 19:27:41 »
Thanks guys. That explains why the donate link is so obscure.

Oh well. If the call ever goes out, I'm sure everyone would do what they can.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 22:16:40 »
the upshot to asking people to butt out of operating cost discussion is that you won't find us begging for donations to cover operating costs and that, as you may notice, we survive without paid advertising of any kind.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 00:46:41 »
the upshot to asking people to butt out of operating cost discussion is that you won't find us begging for donations to cover operating costs and that, as you may notice, we survive without paid advertising of any kind.

Is this going to change with new hosting service?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 11:14:43 »

This thread can help answer that

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73331.0

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 12:16:08 »

This thread can help answer that

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73331.0

Wow, thanks! I don't really monitor the OT forum so I would have otherwise missed this thread.

My boards:
More