Author Topic: [IC] GMK 9009 R3 - Launching September 1st  (Read 144238 times)

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
Re: [IC] GMK 9009 R3 - Kit updates
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:36:02 »
Nice changes to the icons. I'd consider it as an improvements.
I don't know about R5 tho. Would it make 9009 R3 out of place compared to other sets?
R5 makes this run of 9009 the real classic thing. Even more, if you consider that it features r5 with 1.5 mods which would be a first in icons version in this color way.
although, as someone pointed out earlier, the original g80-9009 HAG board has no r5 row  :D

also, isn't the bottom row icon mod kit r4?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 22:36:34 »

isn't the bottom row icon mod kit r4?

It is not explicitly stated.  The OP should confirm it.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 22:39:35 »

It's stated explicitly.

Modern
Want to add a modern look to your set? Or maybe you’re just a fan of the uniform look having only icons on the modifiers gives you? Then this kit is for you! It features icon modifiers for all of the bottom row, escape and 1.75 control while also adding a more modern interpretation of the tab key and caps lock. This kit features a more modern R4 bottom row.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #303 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 07:46:11 »

It's stated explicitly.

Modern
Want to add a modern look to your set? Or maybe you’re just a fan of the uniform look having only icons on the modifiers gives you? Then this kit is for you! It features icon modifiers for all of the bottom row, escape and 1.75 control while also adding a more modern interpretation of the tab key and caps lock. This kit features a more modern R4 bottom row.
Have to brush up my reading skills, sorry. So that means that only the main kit bottom rows are both, 1.5 and 1.25, R5?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 07:55:58 »

It's stated explicitly.

Modern
Have to brush up my reading skills, sorry. So that means that only the main kit bottom rows are both, 1.5 and 1.25, R5?
Yup, the base kit seems to have an all R5 bottom row. 1.25u support became possible since Carbon R2.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 09:16:19 »

It's stated explicitly.

Modern
Yup, the base kit seems to have an all R5 bottom row. 1.25u support became possible since Carbon R2.

Correct, base is all R5 with Modern being all R4.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 09:22:03 »

It's stated explicitly.

Modern

Hey Janglad,

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but is it possible to get the bottom three arrows in R4 added into the modern kit? Since they would still be row 5 currently.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 09:26:12 »
Any chance of adding an extra 'End' key in for Row 4?
This will give coverage to nav cluster for 65% and 75% users.

Isn't it already in the "Addition" kit?

Whoops yes its there.
I meant instead to include it in the base kit as that would mean not having to pick up the "Addition" kit for just one key.

Whoops yes its there.
I meant instead to include it in the base kit as that would mean not having to pick up the "Addition" kit for just one key.

In that case R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn should definitely be moved to the base kit as well. At which point it may not be worth moving anything at all.

We felt like using Fn there is definitely the most popular option which is included in the kit obviously. Very very few people asked about moving the end key in the form (sub 0.007% brought it up out of 430+ replies) so it seems like that assumption is correct. We have to really balance out the Standard kit for the price point we want to hit, because compared to say Minimal there are a lot more keys (5 more accents, 2 options for tilde and pipe and such).

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 09:31:12 »

It's stated explicitly.

Modern

Hey Janglad,

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but is it possible to get the bottom three arrows in R4 added into the modern kit? Since they would still be row 5 currently.

I'm literally working on adding that right now :) But yes, we did purposely let them out at first since our thinking was that full icon is pretty much only used on 60% either way (since on 65+ you still have text mods). However, thinking it over again and looking at some Modern Dolch pictures that doesn't  seem to be the case.  So yes, we'll be adding those in, making the Modern kit compatible with boards from 60% up to TKL. Boards with numpads will still not have a fully matching R4 bottom row tho, since adding that in would require a lot of keys (2u 0, 1u 0, 1u 00, 1u period and also 3 new numpad enters since those are different for R5 too) which would increase the cost far too much compared to the % of people that would use those.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 09:33:54 »
Balancing the pricing - value equation seems the best goal for the set, considering that it already has innovative features like updated layout for mod kits and  R5 bottom rows.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 10:02:03 »
We felt like using Fn there is definitely the most popular option which is included in the kit obviously. Very very few people asked about moving the end key in the form (sub 0.007% brought it up out of 430+ replies) so it seems like that assumption is correct. We have to really balance out the Standard kit for the price point we want to hit, because compared to say Minimal there are a lot more keys (5 more accents, 2 options for tilde and pipe and such).

That makes a lot of sense, but please keep the Addition kit in mind as well when striking that balance. Dropping the Standard kit price as low as possible isn't really worth it if plenty (I can't put an exact number to plenty, but let's say a decent chunk) of people end up having to pay an extra $50 for an Addition kit anyway to get a piece of compatibility that they need. That's why I was suggesting moving at least a couple of the keys to Standard if you decide to expand Addition any further. Which keys exactly — it doesn't matter that much, as long as it's enough to offset some of those diminishing returns that occur with further reduction of the Standard kit.

By the way, I hadn't noticed the IC form link until you mentioned it just now, even though I'd been following the thread since day one. Just filled it out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2019, 17:36:08 by constexpr »

Offline voxkey

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 10:05:52 »
That's great news on the Modern kit, janglad! Great work  :thumb:

Offline martensson

Re: [IC] GMK 9009 R3
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 12:30:16 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

If there's enough demand we can definitely add one, however, we already have a lot of kits as is and all of them of course need to hit MOQ.

Yes please for a VIM kit, it fits the 9009 sooo well!

Offline break

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 13:55:59 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

If there's enough demand we can definitely add one, however, we already have a lot of kits as is and all of them of course need to hit MOQ.

What would a vim kit look like here? HJKL arrows, Vim novelties?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 14:13:45 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

The simpler the better: HJKL with arrows in base color for both cap and legends.

Offline break

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 14:49:42 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

The simpler the better: HJKL with arrows in base color for both cap and legends.

Agreed, I like this a lot.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 15:30:36 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

So a VIM kit has requested a fair bit. My issue with this is first that we already have 6 kits and secondly the fact that it won't be all that cheap of a kit. Especially if we also offer the HJKL arrows. You're looking at 12 keys for basic VIM at least (alpha-green-red), but then you probably also want to add in the VIM novelties like in the 9009 VIM kit that was sold after 9009 R2. I'm just afraid that with there already being quite a bit of kits, adding another semi-expensive "optional aesthetic" kit is not a good idea.

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 21:00:47 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

So a VIM kit has requested a fair bit. My issue with this is first that we already have 6 kits and secondly the fact that it won't be all that cheap of a kit. Especially if we also offer the HJKL arrows. You're looking at 12 keys for basic VIM at least (alpha-green-red), but then you probably also want to add in the VIM novelties like in the 9009 VIM kit that was sold after 9009 R2. I'm just afraid that with there already being quite a bit of kits, adding another semi-expensive "optional aesthetic" kit is not a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 21:16:29 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

A VIM kit does not have to be a full thing with accent colors, nor anything fancy like vim control or vim escape. The kit that was offered before included all those keys, like 15 keys or more, because it was an stand alone kit. But now, a basic vim kit is what fits this set better, just four keys with arrows as secondary legends along with hjkl, not more.

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 21:39:32 »
a vim kit maybe? anyone?

A VIM kit does not have to be a full thing with accent colors, nor anything fancy like vim control or vim escape. The kit that was offered before included all those keys, like 15 keys or more, because it was an stand alone kit. But now, a basic vim kit is what fits this set better, just four keys with arrows as secondary legends along with hjkl, not more.
Yeah I don’t think it would require all the colors. Simple HJKL would be absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thornkin

« Reply #320 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 00:36:14 »
One of the attractions of this colorway is vim support. I would be down for all colors or just a single one.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 01:09:27 »
Emacs is great, but Vim is bae.

Offline zekth

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 16:17:38 »
i bet most of people having vim keys on their keyboards are not using vim.

(i personnaly use HJKL arrow cluster on another layer, but rarely using vim)
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2019, 16:19:40 by zekth »

Offline painstar

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 16:31:44 »
Base,space bar and vim kit would all be instant cops for me

PLEASE please please consider a vim kit

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 19:55:46 »
People want a simple HJKL Arrows Kit (4 keys). Forget about any fancy VIM kit (15+ keys).

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 01:12:09 »
Wanted to put a vote in for 3/4 PgUp and PgDn in base

Offline Karni

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 06:13:16 »
I would kill for a r3 1.25 enter for dimple

Offline BinaryOwl

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 10:33:26 »
Would love to see a simple vim kit in the base colours in a standalone set or perhaps merely include the vim keys in the Addition set together with all the other quirky keys

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 10:53:31 »
gib 9009

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 12:13:39 »
Wanted to put a vote in for 3/4 PgUp and PgDn in base

As popular as this keyset will be and as popular as 65% are, I think this makes sense.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #330 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 15:26:04 »
Would love to see a simple vim kit in the base colours in a standalone set or perhaps merely include the vim keys in the Addition set together with all the other quirky keys
+1 for an HJKL arrows set included in the Addition kit.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #331 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 16:59:07 »
Alright guys some more updates!

Updated Modern kit

Now includes arrows so it's compatible for boards up to TKL! Keeping with the "modern" theme we decided to add the more minimal icons found on the Uniqey C70!

Renders of this kit in action on a TGR Jane V2

General GB updates

I'm super excited to anounce that GMK 9009 R3 will launch on September 1st! The standard kit will be sold for $99.99 from day one (or your local currency/tax inclusive equivalent)! No more waiting for price drops! Due to the many changes made to kits throughout this IC, pricing for the other kits will follow on another date.

As always, thank you for all the support. The group buy is coming soon and I can't wait for it. I'm personally planning to put this on a Dharma, anyone else already have plans for what board they'll put this on?   ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2019, 17:03:04 by janglad »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #332 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 17:03:38 »
Oh, my.

That's my next-favorite Caps Lock symbol, right next to the "purse."

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] GMK 9009 R3 - Pricing, launch date, more kit updates
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 17:42:17 »
Yes! Loving the price. Great to see GMK (and the best one at that) coming down to more affordable rates.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 18:27:29 »
THAT'S SOME RIDICULOUS CHEAP PRICE!

Future GMK sets take note. This is how you make an affordable and highly coveted kit!

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 18:45:32 »
Child kit prices will be deciding factor. 99$ is exciting for a base. However,

- VoC on novel keys is 115$ including iso support, Numpad, 60% with arrows support.
- 8008 on Dixie is 130 with the same support as  VoC
- Voyage on cannon keys is 124 without iso but plus accent space bars.

It only makes sense that if you get less, you pay less. It remains to be seen if the savings are scaled with what's taken away.

That being said, this is a beautiful set and I'll be picking it up! But it won't cost me 99$.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2019, 18:50:51 by GraffitiDecos »

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:00:44 »
Missed opportunity to include the nav cluster icons in the Modern kit. Just seems odd to discuss TKL compat with the arrows and then not even include nav cluster options as well.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #337 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:15:44 »

- VoC on novel keys is 115$ including iso support, Numpad, 60% with arrows support.

It only makes sense that if you get less, you pay less. It remains to be seen if the savings are scaled with what's taken away.

That being said, this is a beautiful set and I'll be picking it up! But it won't cost me 99$.

THAT'S SOME RIDICULOUS CHEAP PRICE!

Future GMK sets take note. This is how you make an affordable and highly coveted kit!

Haven't seen a numpad kit below $30, regardless, it's still a good price and most will probably not need a numpad anyway.

Definitely appreciate all of the design changes this will make available for future GMK sets. Thank you!

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:17:51 »
Missed opportunity to include the nav cluster icons in the Modern kit. Just seems odd to discuss TKL compat with the arrows and then not even include nav cluster options as well.

I agree with this. This is quite the opportunity for an ALL ICONS kit, where only the alphas and F1..F12 are not turned into icons.

Offline fr08

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:28:24 »
So, is this getting Norde caps or not? Since this is like the most popular set I'm assuming so but I see no renders or confirmation.

Just so I can save some money for this, if that's the case.

I already have the epbt version but really want it in gmk, and with R0 and R5 :)

Also, I don't think it makes any sense to not have sublegends on the numpad if you are going for the classic 9009 look. More old school, not less. Preferably also a numpad enter that says "Enter Xmit" etc. And some fun Deal novelties :)

Not as important: And a Caps Lock that says Caps Lock. Not that stupid down arrow again. If anything that should be in the Modern kit and the underscored Up arrow in the base kit. But again, that's one of those keys that just used to have text. So if you're going for classic/retro, Caps Lock with text.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:31:44 »
Insane price man

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:40:23 »
I studied again all the kits, as they stand now. There's a couple minor rough spots I think still need polishing. IMNAAHO, YMMV, WDIKAA.

1) The base kit is US ANSI only (fine by me, see below), but the 1.5U right Alt key is labeled "Alt Gr". This makes no sense on a US ANSI only kit — it should be "Alt" (and this comes from an "ISO is love, ISO is life" kind of guy!).

2) All accented keys in every kit get the green and the red version... all, except the R1 Insert key in the base kit. Is this an omission or a conscious choice? (I like Green Insert better, so...)

3) At the risk of exposing myself as an ignorant... I'd never seen a mod-colored R3 '/" key before. Who uses it? Besides this oddity, I dig the obscure kit (I'm tempted to get a couple just for the split space bars!).

4) The Addition kit has full and correct support for UK ISO... except for the bottom row. There should be an 1.25U Alt Gr key and an 1.5U Alt Gr key (this one brought in from the base kit)... and a 1U Alt Gr key, if we can get away with it.

4 redux) As long as we're asking, the Addition kit could ALSO get an R3 \| key, to give full support not just to UK ISO but to UK+US ISO. All y'all'd make this Texan(*) pretty happy.

5) This is wishful thinking at this point, but icons... icons all the way. Insert, Delete, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down... and Print Screen, Scroll Lock and Pause. Only F1..F12 should remain as legends.

5 redux) Wishful-er thinking: a separate icon for Alt Gr.

That's about it. :thumb:

(*) Ok, part Texan. But Texas is big, amirite?

Offline fr08

« Reply #343 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:44:33 »
Show Image

Hey, what's with the swapped #~ and \| keys? ;D

No idea, just grabbed the first and best image of the g80-9009 I found :)
Wouldn't have noticed if you had not said anything lol, not that familiar with iso uk

Studying other results that key seems to be blank on many keyboards for some reason
https://i.imgur.com/hrpXukt.png
https://i.redd.it/zct6fbl0m4m21.jpg
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33130.0;attach=43795;image
http://i.imgur.com/yQclW.jpg

Would really like if this time this kit was the first modern one with a 1U key with the full Alt Graph text. Do the 9009 stuff right, then think about addons.. But maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:47:08 by fr08 »

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #344 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:45:42 »
$99.99 is an amazing price for 9009, going to be awesome!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:54:49 »
Show Image

Hey, what's with the swapped #~ and \| keys? ;D

No idea, just grabbed the first and best image of the g80-9009 I found :)
Wouldn't have noticed if you had not said anything lol, not that familiar with iso uk

Studying other results that key seems to be blank on many keyboards for some reason
https://i.imgur.com/hrpXukt.png
https://i.redd.it/zct6fbl0m4m21.jpg
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33130.0;attach=43795;image
http://i.imgur.com/yQclW.jpg

Your picture is of a keyboard with the UK ISO national layout (note the key), while the ones from those four links are all US ISO national layout (note the 3# key), where they didn't bother putting a legend OR going with a long left Shift (which would have made those keyboards ANSISO hybrids).

Would really like if this time this kit was the first modern one with a 1U key with the full Alt Graph text. Do the 9009 stuff right, then think about addons.. But maybe that's just me.

I concur.

Offline fr08

« Reply #346 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 20:09:43 »
Your picture is of a keyboard with the UK ISO national layout (note the key), while the ones from those four links are all US ISO national layout (note the 3# key), where they didn't bother putting a legend OR going with a long left Shift (which would have made those keyboards ANSISO hybrids).

I just know of these layouts but really have no idea but thank you for the clarification. I thought £ on 3 was universal.

That reminds me, for the Norde kit: I really wish this doesn't make the mistake all sets seems to do these days - € on E. It belongs on 5. Sure both keys have them on the "AltGr layer" but 5 is where it traditionally belongs. I think of E€ as a new thing even though I'm sure it's been a thing for 10+ years now lol

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #347 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 20:33:54 »

That reminds me, for the Norde kit: I really wish this doesn't make the mistake all sets seems to do these days - € on E. It belongs on 5. Sure both keys have them on the "AltGr layer" but 5 is where it traditionally belongs. I think of E€ as a new thing even though I'm sure it's been a thing for 10+ years now lol

Depends on the country! Some national layouts put it on AltGr-5, some others put it in AltGr-E (and in the UK, it's been moved to... AltGr-4).

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #348 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 20:43:23 »

From my understanding of how gmk pricing works, I expect the child kits here to be pretty expensive and drive the overall package much higher than the normal gmk bundles.

Offline fr08

« Reply #349 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 21:05:59 »

Depends on the country! Some national layouts put it on AltGr-5, some others put it in AltGr-E (and in the UK, it's been moved to... AltGr-4).

In the Nordic layouts it's both on 5 and E, pretty sure it's the same in Germany. It used to be on only 5 but then (I think) Microsoft started putting it on E too. Which kind of make sense, sort of. But I refuse to relearn that, especially since both works.