Author Topic: Joystick for PC gaming?  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Joystick for PC gaming?
« on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 20:07:50 »
I would like a joystick that is easy to wield like the grifta but at the same time usuable with a mouse. It would be very similar to joystick control.

Any options that exist?

Offline yuppie

Re: Joystick for PC gaming?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 23:15:36 »
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 02:52:15 »
Hmm.. The Grifta looks like half a gamepad. Benefits would be that you don't just have D-pad and thumbstick but also buttons.

Traditional devices are analogue flight stick, and digital arcade stick.
Flight sticks are often right-handed, but with a few buttons, while arcade sticks have none for the left hand.

There are "gaming keypads", like half a keyboard (or less) for the WASD cluster: where many have joysticks for the thumb, but some have just digital D-pads.
The Hori Super Robot Wars for the PS1/PS2 is a gamepad for the desk, with D-pad on the thumb but the two analogue sticks straight up. That one could perhaps be used with an adaptor to USB. (There is also a Playstation game called Super Robot Wars... so always search for Hori)
Edit: Found similar device called DragonPlus RPG DuoCon 2.

Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander is a weird device. It is like half-way between a large captive mouse and gaming-keypad. You'd slide the whole thing around to actuate the joystick. The buttons are microswitches like on a mouse. I think it requires drivers that are not available for modern Windows. Because I haven't got it to work I can't tell whether it is digital or analogue.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2019, 02:58:49 by Findecanor »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 21:44:02 »
Hmm.. The Grifta looks like half a gamepad. Benefits would be that you don't just have D-pad and thumbstick but also buttons.

Traditional devices are analogue flight stick, and digital arcade stick.
Flight sticks are often right-handed, but with a few buttons, while arcade sticks have none for the left hand.

There are "gaming keypads", like half a keyboard (or less) for the WASD cluster: where many have joysticks for the thumb, but some have just digital D-pads.
The Hori Super Robot Wars for the PS1/PS2 is a gamepad for the desk, with D-pad on the thumb but the two analogue sticks straight up. That one could perhaps be used with an adaptor to USB. (There is also a Playstation game called Super Robot Wars... so always search for Hori)
Edit: Found similar device called DragonPlus RPG DuoCon 2.

Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander is a weird device. It is like half-way between a large captive mouse and gaming-keypad. You'd slide the whole thing around to actuate the joystick. The buttons are microswitches like on a mouse. I think it requires drivers that are not available for modern Windows. Because I haven't got it to work I can't tell whether it is digital or analogue.
Seems like a good idea