Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING  (Read 185969 times)

Offline zslane

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« Reply #600 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 17:42:25 »
Ah, that's very nice. I may have to pick one up...

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #601 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:21:59 »
Round 2.5 is up now, by the way. I'm not really going to actively publicize that until Wednesday, when I'll hopefully have some pics of the red and pink colors (and maybe a purple), but I figured I'd get it up now so that folks can see the powder coat color options available. Having r2.5 happen now works out because it'll allow me to get folks replacements who were affected by the r2 shortfall while also accommodating the many requests I've had do make a few more. I aim to please. :)

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #602 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:27:21 »
WOOOOO

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #603 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:33:10 »
Round 2.5 is up now, by the way. I'm not really going to actively publicize that until Wednesday, when I'll hopefully have some pics of the red and pink colors (and maybe a purple), but I figured I'd get it up now so that folks can see the powder coat color options available. Having r2.5 happen now works out because it'll allow me to get folks replacements who were affected by the r2 shortfall while also accommodating the many requests I've had do make a few more. I aim to please. :)
HYPE

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #604 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:33:37 »
Got any pics showing the difference between Tactical and Enigma Black? Is the only real difference the slight more textured feel of the Enigma?

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #605 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:35:59 »

Cool. Will spare risers be sold?

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #606 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:36:54 »
Is round 2.5 the most expensive one yet?

Offline Auk

« Reply #607 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:40:44 »
Round 2.5 is up now

this website needs the Norbauer logo as a favicon  :)

same as round 2 for the painted and $10 more for anodized?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #608 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:41:12 »
Got any pics showing the difference between Tactical and Enigma Black? Is the only real difference the slight more textured feel of the Enigma?

I don't actually have any side-by-side pics, no, as it has been a while since I've had a black one on hand. To the casual observer, there may not be much difference. However, the aesthetic qualities of the two are quite different, in my opinion. Tactical black is an anodized finish, so even though it's black it looks more like, well, metal with the black dye infused into it. The powder finish is more opaque, and of course the Enigma finish has a gentle texture. Powder, especially textured powder, is kind of unusual in the world of keyboard cases, so it's a neat/fanciful upgrade option, but only if you're into the visual properties or otherwise just prefer powder coat to anodizing.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #609 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:44:40 »
Oh boy, here we go! I'll wait and see if you include a (hopefully metallic) purple before I do anything, otherwise I think I will go with a pink or silver. Thanks so much for doing another round.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #610 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:45:27 »
Round 2.5 is up now

this website needs the Norbauer logo as a favicon  :)

same as round 2 for the painted and $10 more for anodized?

Pricing on the anodized cases is similar to the average cost of the anodized finishes across rounds 1 and 2. With each round I get better at estimating all the costs (and effort) involved, so I tweak the price accordingly. Raising the price slightly on the anodized cases this time should allow me to over-order by a few, with the plan that I'll just have to deal with some rejects/throwaways. This should hopefully avoid having to disappoint folks like I had to this time by cancelling orders where the cases came back with a cosmetic defect.

Offline autobot

« Reply #611 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 18:53:01 »

Awesome! I'd love to see pics of the purple finish! Either way, I'm buying a case or two for round 2.5 as well, and I haven't even got my silver yet, lol!

Offline Dysnomia

« Reply #612 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 19:38:51 »
How long is r2.5 is staying up for? :D

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #613 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 19:44:47 »
How long is r2.5 is staying up for? :D

From the store page. "This is a "group buy," ending midnight 10 September. "
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline consolation

« Reply #614 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 21:04:10 »
Royal Wrinkle looks really, REALLY, good - is it more like 60s wrinkle finish than Enigma Black?

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #615 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 21:43:15 »
For anyone needing r2.5 inspiration ;)

This board inspires pure joy every time I look at it, bravo Norbauer!

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #616 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 22:54:27 »
For anyone needing r2.5 inspiration ;)

Show Image

Show Image

This board inspires pure joy every time I look at it, bravo Norbauer!

Looking good! I've got a Hyperfuse set but was too lazy to switch it out to see how it looks, now I know  ;D

Offline gregcake

« Reply #617 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 00:05:29 »
I could probably add an r2.5 dark gray powder finish if folks are especially keen.
HELLO GOOD SIR,

I wish to board the tactical grey hype train. Would be super keen for a grey powder finish.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 00:08:03 by gregcake »

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #618 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 04:20:10 »
I could probably add an r2.5 dark gray powder finish if folks are especially keen.
HELLO GOOD SIR,

I wish to board the tactical grey hype train. Would be super keen for a grey powder finish.

+1 dark grey powder coat. (Or the return of galactic blue pretty please?)

I'd like to use one for Godspeed and that looks great on tactical grey.

Most keycap sets seem to look good on dark grey. Godspeed, Galaxy Class, etc etc.

Any chance of a mild texture dark grey powder coat with a texture a la enigma black?

I would be down for Galactic Blue (I know that was anodised but say a similar colour powder coat as you say this seems to be easier quality control) but doesn't seem to be an option this time :(

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 04:22:46 by flyingalbatross1 »

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #619 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 07:40:35 »
HELLO GOOD SIR,

Any chance of a mild texture dark grey powder coat with a texture a la enigma black?

+1 for a textured dark grey powder coat a la enigma black.

Offline RubenMcNoobin

« Reply #620 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 09:56:07 »
Wow, what a weird sensation to feel shocked at those prices on the Round 2.5 GB and then remembering that I already bought into Round 2!  :))

Guess I just forgot what I paid since it's been a while, super excited though that it's finally coming to an end!

Silenced Novatouch           K70 RGB          Magicforce-68

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #621 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 10:02:20 »
What about handbrushed dark gray? Is it possible to include that?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #622 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 11:57:56 »
Hi Norb:

Have you considered cerakote options for future rounds? It's extremely durable (far more so than powder coat), and comes in a wide array of colors, many of which cannot be achieved with standard anodization.

Thanks,

P

This was something I looked into during the r1 interest check (i.e., a million years ago). I liked many of the colors available and the durability of the finish, but IIRC the conclusion was that it was prohibitively expensive for parts as large as ours and the durability feature seemed like perhaps overkill for a keyboard case. I'm not averse to exploring it again however! The (excellent, though expensive) shop I've been using for powder also goes ceramic finishes, so I'll ask them about it next time I'm in.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #623 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:02:57 »
Oh man that pink is amazing. Please please please do a purple to go with Laser!

Can you post some pics of the color you're looking for?

Possibly a purple similar to GMK's DY (see https://imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/sS8geqB ) or maybe something a little more exotic like a metallic purple such as this Candy Purple https://www.powderbuythepound.com/candy-purple.html.

OK, cool. I should be able to confirm about a purple color by Wednesday. Do you guys lean towards a plain purple or a metallic one?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #624 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:07:28 »
Can we also see examples of what you mean by more aggressive textures?

These would be example of the full-on wrinkle coats, both of which are available in r2.5. The gentler/flatter texture Enigma black is also still available.

Offline avid

« Reply #625 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:10:44 »
Whats the differences between the $220 and 330 cases? Is it different materials? Different finish?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #626 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:12:54 »
Whats the differences between the $220 and 330 cases? Is it different materials? Different finish?

The less expensive process is anodizing. This involves placing all the cases into a tank at once and growing an oxide layer on them. Powder coat is more like a hand-applied paint process (it actually is powder when applied), but using a heat-cured finish that is more durable and provides a better bond than conventional paint. The trick with powder coat is that it takes a skilled applicator to get a good finish for a product like this one. The anodized finishing occurs in China and the powder in California, which is another part of the cost difference.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:14:37 by norbauer »

Offline Auk

« Reply #627 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:16:46 »
is there an approximate Pantone reference or hex value for the engine block red?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #628 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:17:27 »
HELLO GOOD SIR,

+1 for a textured dark grey powder coat a la enigma black.

How about this one:

It would be a special-order powder, but if a at least 2-3 people ordered it, it would offset the expense enough to do it.

All these color terms are getting a bit overloaded, but we could call it "Enigma gray." ;)

Offline deterouni

« Reply #629 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:23:14 »
Hey I was one of the affected orders.  I have replied to the email with my choice of replacement option.  Is there anything else I need to do?  Also, if this Enigma Gray is an option of a replacement I would love that since it would still allow me to have a grey color.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #630 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:25:42 »
Hey I was one of the affected orders.  I have replied to the email with my choice of replacement option.  Is there anything else I need to do?

You're all set. I'm putting in free replacement orders today as part of r2.5 for those affected. You should get a confirmation email when I do so. My inbox is just completely overflowing today, so it's taking me a while to process through it all.  :rolleyes:

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #631 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:33:45 »

How about this one:
Show Image

Show Image

It would be a special-order powder, but if a at least 2-3 people ordered it, it would offset the expense enough to do it.

All these color terms are getting a bit overloaded, but we could call it "Enigma gray." ;)

That looks awesome, I only brought it up because you mentioned you may do a tactical grey type powder coat instead of anodizing.

I would be down to purchase and would cart+pay if an Enigma Grey if it were an option at $329 as with other powder coats. Already bursting my budget :S.

Otherwise I'll probably go Enigma Black. Royal Wrinkle, Galaxy Console would probably also be on my list if I could afford them all! Any chance of a 2-for-1 if I also buy a Galaxy Class keyset? ;)

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #632 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:41:22 »

Possibly a purple similar to GMK's DY (see https://imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/sS8geqB ) or maybe something a little more exotic like a metallic purple such as this Candy Purple https://www.powderbuythepound.com/candy-purple.html.

OK, cool. I should be able to confirm about a purple color by Wednesday. Do you guys lean towards a plain purple or a metallic one?

Metallic all the way!

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #633 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:52:03 »
How about this one:
Show Image

Show Image

The grey looks amazing. Is the texture comparable to the black one?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #634 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:15:58 »
How about this one:
Show Image

Show Image

The grey looks amazing. Is the texture comparable to the black one?

Your guess is as good as mine on that one, unfortunately. Since this is a special-order color that the shop doesn't stock, all I have to go on are the pics above. Looks pretty nice though in my opinion. I just added this color to the r2.5 options. :)

By the way, I just posted a new GB thread (pending moderator approval) so we don't have to clutter up r2.5 discussions too much with this thread, which is technically about r2.

Offline Auk

« Reply #635 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:35:20 »
Is anyone looking at options for Yuri, or anything else where a blue/gray might be better than the previous Galaxy Blue or Tactical Gray color options? Before Ryan posted the Enigma gray option, I was playing around with some ideas for gray/blue to suggest. N.B. these are very quick and dirty made in GIMP, just recolored the backgrounds from the Yuri GB renders. Any thoughts?

177002-0  177004-1

177006-2  177008-3

177010-4  177012-5

The original Tactical Gray was maybe a bit too warm anyway for this, and the Galaxy Blue is too blue. Coral red doesn't work either...

177014-6  177016-7

177018-8  177020-9

177022-10  177024-11

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:40:06 by Auk »

Offline MoebiuS451

« Reply #636 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:45:55 »
Hello,

There seems to be a problem with the order dispatch.
I ordered a Galatic Blue Brushed case (paid 295,14 usd with shipping with 1 EUR = 1.03 USD).

I received a customs invoice of 68 eur (while this object is in category 8473.30.5100 that are exempt of custom duties). Ok, instead of filling a claim, I paid to be sure that the delivery will be fast...

And I got this:

It is nearly as dark as the original plastic case.

Original order :

Expected color

The brushing process was forgotten, or it is not the requested finish, and in either case it is not the same price!
Basically I spent 352 eur (284 + 68), equivalent of 420 usd today (1 EUR = 1.195 USD, and received a box listed 199 usd (166 eur at the current FX rate) !!!!

How to fix this problem ? I am not interested at all with this color and I don’t want to support consequent shipping and customs charges :(

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:48:45 by MoebiuS451 »

Offline Auk

« Reply #637 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:01:50 »
I received a customs invoice of 68 eur (while this object is in category 8473.30.5100 that are exempt of custom duties). Ok, instead of filling a claim, I paid to be sure that the delivery will be fast...

You still have to pay your local EU sales tax on anything over €22, and sales tax applies to the postage cost as well. Allowing for a processing fee, €68 is correct on ~€300 (item+shipping price) of goods? Contact your local tax office to query it, if it wrong I'm sure they will refund you after you fill out a form and provide receipts etc.

Offline autobot

« Reply #638 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:05:31 »

Hey Norbauer, I'm in the same boat as TheEerie Cold. This could be the case to get for Laser, as I havent seen anything that could be a good match with Laser's colors, except for the purple that TheEerieCold noted, and your Venice Beach Color.

A Purple Powder coat (maybe with some metallic fleck in it?) would be the hawtness!

IMO Venice Beach would look amazeballs with Laser, though I'm not too sure how the keyset accents would match up:
(Flickr really killed the saturation of the case's pink color, but you get the gist of it)

Either way, I'm drooling over both colors, I'm just drooling a bit more over the purple. I might buy a purple and a pink this round. :thumb:

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:36:28 by autobot »

Offline Auk

« Reply #639 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:20:31 »
IMO Venice Beach would look amazeballs with Laser, though I'm not too sure how the keyset accents would match up

I don't think you'd want the accents to be too close, you'd just end up with it looking like a poor attempt was made to make them match...

Offline mkarlsson

[GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« Reply #640 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:26:19 »
Hey I was one of the affected orders.  I have replied to the email with my choice of replacement option.  Is there anything else I need to do?  Also, if this Enigma Gray is an option of a replacement I would love that since it would still allow me to have a grey color.

Exact same situation here, answered asking for enigma black, but if this is an option for us I would go with the tactical gray.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:34:40 by mkarlsson »

Offline autobot

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:34:50 »
IMO Venice Beach would look amazeballs with Laser, though I'm not too sure how the keyset accents would match up

I don't think you'd want the accents to be too close, you'd just end up with it looking like a poor attempt was made to make them match...

Correct, with the Venice, it'd make me want to not use the magenta accents.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #642 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:41:05 »
Hello,

There seems to be a problem with the order dispatch.
I ordered a Galatic Blue Brushed case (paid 295,14 usd with shipping with 1 EUR = 1.03 USD).
Show Image

And I got this:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It is nearly as dark as the original plastic case.

Original order :
Show Image

Expected color
Show Image

The brushing process was forgotten, or it is not the requested finish, and in either case it is not the same price!
Basically I spent 352 eur (284 + 68), equivalent of 420 usd today (1 EUR = 1.195 USD, and received a box listed 199 usd (166 eur at the current FX rate) !!!!

How to fix this problem ? I am not interested at all with this color and I don’t want to support consequent shipping and customs charges :(

It might have been better to email me directly to address this issue. Please PM me and I'll totally fix this, including your customs issues. In any case, sorry about the issue. I packed and shipped a literal mountain of boxes out of my living room last week, so I guess it's not surprising that I mixed up two cases with similar looking finishes. If anybody gets a brushed blue one who was supposed to get a bead-blasted one, please let me know. >_< Again, my apologies.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:46:37 by norbauer »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #643 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:43:06 »

Hey Norbauer, I'm in the same boat as TheEerie Cold. This could be the case to get for Laser, as I havent seen anything that could be a good match with Laser's colors, except for the purple that TheEerieCold noted, and your Venice Beach Color.

A Purple Powder coat (maybe with some metallic fleck in it?) would be the hawtness!
Show Image

IMO Venice Beach would look amazeballs with Laser, though I'm not too sure how the keyset accents would match up:
(Flickr really killed the saturation of the case's pink color, but you get the gist of it)
Show Image

Either way, I'm drooling over both colors, I'm just drooling a bit more over the purple. I might buy a purple and a pink this round. :thumb:

I distinctly remember one of the house colors at the powder shop being a purple with metal fleck in it, so I think that should be eminently possible. The only thing I have to verify is that it's a one-coat. Some powder coat finishes are two-coat, and I would be worried about those throwing off the tolerances too much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:46:56 by norbauer »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #644 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:49:10 »

Exact same situation here, answered asking for enigma black, but if this is an option for us I would go with the tactical gray.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

No problem. Can you just respond to my email again and tell me you want me to switch you to? I have no way of matching up GH usernames to order numbers/emails. :)

Offline TheCanisDirus

« Reply #645 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:54:24 »
That black full wrinkle coat looks pretty neat. Does it affect tolerances at all?  Keys still glide/fit smooth and the top/bottom halves mate flush etc.?

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #646 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 14:57:00 »
Enigma Grey ordered and paid!  :D

My wallet is not thanking me.

I just wanted to check  - the case comes with the risers. I get the impression from pictures this raises the keyboard to about the same height/angle as using the inbuilt stand on the CM. But your website says it raises it to the same height as NOT using the stand - is this just a typo?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #647 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 15:02:00 »
I just wanted to check  - the case comes with the risers. I get the impression from pictures this raises the keyboard to about the same height/angle as using the inbuilt stand on the CM. But your website says it raises it to the same height as NOT using the stand - is this just a typo?

The case does indeed come with risers. Specifying the angle is somewhat confusing/misleading. My angle with the risers is based the angle of the face of the keyboard case relative to the surface on which the keyboard rests. When the riser feet are installed, the angle of the face of the keyboard case is roughly the same angle as the native angle of the Novatouch (again, relative to the table surface) without its own flip-out feet deployed. However, because my case is a bit higher up off the desk, this feels subjectively like a slightly greater angle than the native Novatouch in use. So, subjectively, I would say it's feel probably in between the Novatouch with its own flip-out feet stowed and when they are deployed.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 15:04:08 »
That black full wrinkle coat looks pretty neat. Does it affect tolerances at all?  Keys still glide/fit smooth and the top/bottom halves mate flush etc.?

The full wrinkle is as far as I would push the tolerances with powder coat. They keys I tested all fit fine, but those were DSA. Theoretically, keys should all have roughly the same outer boundary and thus should be fine, but I suppose I can't say for certain that there aren't some over-sized caps that might cause problems. You could always just test it out. As I mentioned, I'm going to try to order a few extra this time as a bit of safety margin that I didn't have last time, so if you got it and for some reason the keys didn't fit, I could probably swap for another finish. I'll also conduct some tests before shipping any of them, just to be sure.

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 15:06:35 »

The case does indeed come with risers. Specifying the angle is somewhat confusing/misleading. My angle with the risers is based the angle of the face of the keyboard case relative to the surface on which the keyboard rests. When the riser feet are installed, the angle of the face of the keyboard case is roughly the same angle as the native angle of the Novatouch (again, relative to the table surface) without its own flip-out feet deployed. However, because my case is a bit higher up off the desk, this feels subjectively like a slightly greater angle than the native Novatouch in use. So, subjectively, I would say it's feel probably in between the Novatouch with its own flip-out feet stowed and when they are deployed.

I understand. Looking at pictures, it looks like the CM Pro S is much 'flatter' at rest than the Novatouch. This picture

looks very similar to the angle of my CM Pro S with the feet deployed. Perhaps a touch lower angle but this is likely compensated for by the deeper case as you say.

I like my keyboards at an angle, a flat keyboard is a travesty. Worst case I can put some extra feet on of my own design.

CM Pro S without feet deployed.

Norbauer with the riser

Yours looks significantly steeper with the risers than the flat case without feet deployed. (This is a good thing from my point of view). Maybe not as steep as with the feet deployed but at least it's not flat.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 15:12:23 by flyingalbatross1 »