Author Topic: ErgoDox Swedish/Finnish Layout?  (Read 20106 times)

Offline Kungsgeten

ErgoDox Swedish/Finnish Layout?
« on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 05:00:37 »
Hi!

New poster, exciting :) Sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried the search function and couldn't find anything.

I'm tempted to join the Massdrop for an ErgoDox. However I'm from Sweden so I'm used to the Swedish/Finnish layout. Does anyone have a tip for how to layout this design? The keys I'm most concerned about are:

Alt Gr (probably one of the thumb keys?)
' *
¨ ^ ~
´ `

Any tips and/or existing layouts?

Offline Kungsgeten

Re: ErgoDox Swedish/Finnish Layout?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 08:44:45 »
Okay, so I went ahead and ordered one. I put together a layout, but I'm not sure how it will work. Guess I'll have to see when the keyboard arrives. Here's a pic of the layout (first layer):

I plan to have a gaming layer (where the arrow keys are more traditional and the < | > button is shift instead) and also a "misc"-layer with a keypad and the function keys..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 09:24:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack, Kungsgeten! Nice to see (yet another) Swede here. :)
I haven't built my keyboard yet, because I am waiting for a custom plate to come in, but I have thought a lot about the layout.

I assigned Shift and Alt Gr to thumb keys. Shift on one side and Alt Gr on the other so that I can do Shift-Alt Gr key combinations by holding down both thumbs. I also made Ctrl a thumb-key on the Alt Gr side, for Ctrl-Shift combos.

I devoted one layer to be the "Fn" layer, available when I hold down the layer toggle key I named "Fn".
Function keys are on the same keys as numbers, so that F1 is on Fn-1, F2 on Fn-2, etc. Last, F11 on Fn-+ and F12 on Fn-Å.
I assigned Home/End/PgUp/PgDn to Fn-Left/Fn-Right/Fn-Up/Fn-Down, although there was room for them on the bottom finger-row.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 09:32:28 »
That looks really nice, even though I don't plan on switching over to an ergodox in the near future there sure are a lot of temptations.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline jalli

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:08:32 »
Hey,

I ordered my Ergodox in the last Massdrop buy, while waiting  I've been playing with layouts and figuring out how to map an Icelandic keyboard.

I work as a hybrid developer/sysadmin so I expect I'll continue to use regular QWERTY keyboards quite frequently, mostly English/ANSI but also Icelandic/ISO.

My initial reaction was to start with QWERTY but then I stopped and thought, well if I'm retraining myself and I don't want to screw up my current typing skills perhaps going with something even more different isn't a bad idea and since bigger the difference the less chance of confusion and QWERTY is suboptimal for typing comfort, speed and accuracy.

I figured this might be a good time to switch to Dvorak, well I looked at Dvorak and making an Icelandic layout for it, also looked at how programming would be with a Dvorak and, ahh well not so great.

After doing a lot of experiments using Patrick Gillespie's Keyboard Layout Analyzer I finally settled on a slightly modified Colemak layout, the only real difference was to swap the A and the N so that all the vowels would be on the right side, this way I can add the Diacritic on the left hand to type áúíýóé ö easily.

My Current Massdrop Ergodox layout

With Icelandic characters, standard overlay:

34672-0

But ideally I would like to make something that's not only usable for most or all Latin based languages but pretty fast for all of them. The Colemak layout can already handle almost all the characters required but they involve some pretty awkward key combinations like Altgr + t + y to get ý.

Right now I'm thinking if it's possible to reprogram the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT and Layer keys so that in addition to being regular control keys they also become dead keys when pressed and released without any other key being pressed, this way I could add support for ° ´ ` ~ ˆ , pressing any one of them twice would result in the double diacritic or reversing the direction ˆ becomes ˇ and ° becomes ¨.

This leaves one deadkey that I think can be used for ß Æ Þ Ð Ø and ¿

¿ is a deadkey followed by ?
Ø is a deadkey followed by O
ß is a deadkey followed by S
Æ is a deadkey followed by A
Þ is deadkey followed by T
Р is deadkey followed by D.

This could also be used for other secondary double mappings not involving the already used A and O.
Antonia

Offline piebju

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:19:38 »
Hello Everyone!

How is it going with the swedish/finnish layout?
I have started to trying one out, but im stuck on the ÅÄÖ letters.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:45:34 »
The thing to know is that the layout is really at the host, not the keyboard. The keyboard doesn't send any symbols on the wire but a code that tells which key it was that was pressed.
The symbols in the ErgoDox Layout Configurator are for US-ANSI, so you would need to know which key in US-ANSI layout corresponds to which key in Swedish/Finnish-ISO layout.
A-Z and 0-9 and the modifiers are the same, but Å is on KEY_LeftBracket_LeftBrace, etc.  There are also the two ISO_... symbols that correspond to UK-ISO layout. but are really <>| and '* in Swedish/Finnish. The US-ANSI Backslash key doesn't have any counterpart in SF layout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:58:47 by Findecanor »

Offline piebju

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 02:35:12 »
Hi,

I've created a Swedish keyboard layout. Hope it helps some of the Swedish users.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=PRS8UV&hash=a2ddd66720366b13836991d0f6fae8e9

Offline altemark

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 14:43:28 »
piebju: Thanks! But, where's ÅÄÖ in the layout? Ditching them? Ah, now I get it. I hadn't used the configurator before.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 14:45:53 by altemark »

Offline Arvid

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 09:49:36 »
Hello does anyone know where I can find a full map between ANSI and nordic ISO?
It is a bit bothersome trying to figure out what keymap goes where.

Offline piebju

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 05:47:59 »
Lates set. Complete with åäö, rAlt = "altgr" in sweden.
In the pic, 1 = '*
2= <>|

Offline altemark

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 04:45:17 »
Hello!

I'm back again, resurrecting my old Ergodox project. I've totally forgot how to implement ÅÄÖ in the massdrop configurator - is there anyone out there who could lend me a hand? Or is the www.keyboard-layout-editor.com the way to go nowadays?

This time I will try out a modified Colemak keymap. It's a rabbit hole though. Might as well just switch to the Velotype already, it almost feels like sometimes.

Tack!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 04:57:55 »
Read Findecanor's reply above.

TMK/QMK should also allow you to send Unicode directly these days, although I haven't managed to get it to work yet.