Author Topic: SmartYao split mechanical keyboards on Chinese market  (Read 14223 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
SmartYao split mechanical keyboards on Chinese market
« on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 05:54:36 »
For future reference, there is a Chinese keyboard brand called SmartYao, that announced three split mechanical keyboards in winter 2015/2016. The exact models are LY092-MINI (70% staggered), LY092-SD (larger 70% staggered) and LY092-SN (75% matrix). The first staggered two are currently available on Taibao.

Offline nemui

Re: SmartYao split mechanical keyboards on Chinese market
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 09:51:51 »
Thanks for the heads-up. I'd love to see how their matrix model works out.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 10:43:12 »
the Matrix one looks nice, looking forward seeing it!
Winter is coming.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 17:01:19 »
The hex numpad looks kinda interesting, and could serve as a gamepad as well. I wonder what "Keyboard Type : mechanical keyboard (red axis), ErgoDox compatible keyboard for professional high-speed input" precisely means. Cherry red switches and ErgoDox compatible, huh?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 18:20:03 »
The staggered ones look interesting.  I'd consider picking one up if they become more easily available in the US.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 12:15:08 »
My taobao fu is not as good as my google fu, can you provide the tao bao links?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 11:24:58 »
Hrrrmm.. ok.. but there's no tenting ...

Sounds like a lot of other split keyboards - BYOT.

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 12:33:12 »
Doesn't look bad for about $100, but I have no idea how to order and ship to the US or how much that would be. Google translate doesn't really help on the final sign in and order page. I don't actually want one of these but I was really curious if you can get them in the United States

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Offline nemui

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 20:28:28 »
Doesn't look bad for about $100, but I have no idea how to order and ship to the US or how much that would be. Google translate doesn't really help on the final sign in and order page. I don't actually want one of these but I was really curious if you can get them in the United States

I don't have a Taobao account myself, so I can only go by whatever information is posted on the product page, which, if it is to be believed, provides options to ship to Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, US, and there's one option that says "all other countries". For the US option, the shipping is 90RMB for the first KG and an additional 22RMB per subsequent 500g. So I think they most probably do ship to the US? I'm basing this off https://world.taobao.com/item/526316023548.htm?fromSite=main by the way. Hope that helped!

Offline figit090

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 20:35:55 »

I don't have a Taobao account myself, so I can only go by whatever information is posted on the product page, which, if it is to be believed, provides options to ship to Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, US, and there's one option that says "all other countries". For the US option, the shipping is 90RMB for the first KG and an additional 22RMB per subsequent 500g. So I think they most probably do ship to the US? I'm basing this off https://world.taobao.com/item/526316023548.htm?fromSite=main by the way. Hope that helped!
Thanks!  Hopefully Kinesis gets a mechanical split keyboard done before these hit the US with more availability.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 01:16:57 »

Thanks!  Hopefully Kinesis gets a mechanical split keyboard done before these hit the US with more availability.

Kinesis has been working on a mechanical Freestyle board for a while now.  Nice, split ANSI board.  I'd love for that to come out in the near future.

Offline figit090

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 01:27:17 »

Kinesis has been working on a mechanical Freestyle board for a while now.  Nice, split ANSI board.  I'd love for that to come out in the near future.
Yeah they mentioned that to me, I hope it's soon!

Offline dantan

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 22:17:28 »
Has anybody tried out this keyboard? I can't find reviews online.

If you look up smartyao mechanical keyboard on google the top thread is Reddit, the second thread is geekhack, and the third is the official webpage after which everything else is irrelevant.

I don't completely like their design but I need a split layout keyboard so for me it is either Design one or Buy. I don't know PCB design, but was thinking that maybe if I have the schematics for one design I can alter it a bit to fit my needs which would be better than starting from scratch which I know nothing about.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 12:11:23 »
It's a keyboard

Realistically, it's not going to work better or worse than any-other keyboard..

For long term use, ACTUAL use, not just the 20 posts a day on facebook,   Eventually Ergonomics will matter, because of wrist pain with regards to FLAT keyboards.

Even a split keyboard such as this is fundamentally not an improvement upon 1 piece flat keyboards, because the WRIST ANGLE is what makes ALL the difference..

Literally nothing else matters or makes any difference in practical usage.. WRIST angle that's it..

You can take 2x regular 1 piece 87 key, prop them up to the right angles, and they work just fine with the minor dual hand timing inconsistency.

That's what I did for a time, before the Ergodox was available..  I was personally able to modify my typing rhythm to bypass the timing inconsistency between using 2 separate 87key keyboards.

Now, I don't recommend anyone use 2x 87, because the technique required to do so is probably only convenient enough for 100+ wpm people who are already very familiar with controlling their typing rhythm. .

Offline menuhin

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 08:32:26 »
Just the left-hand programmable split keyboard of this weird model out-sold the both-sided option by 400%+
This is probably due to the practicality of a programmable left-hand keyboard by the heavy mouse users, such as the CAD drawing workers or gamers.

« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 08:43:41 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 00:33:07 »
i didn't find this kbd in Taobao,if u need,i could buy what u want to buy,then send to you.
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)