Author Topic: [GB] GMK Umka (CLOSED)  (Read 47428 times)

Offline mbezzi

Re: [GB] GMK Umka
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 04:21:13 »
What's the MOQ?

Offline katasup

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:10:51 »
Plz don’t tell me that it is going to be canceled

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 01:14:56 »
What's the MOQ?

Minimum Order Quantity

Offline mbezzi

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 05:18:43 »
Yes, I can't find the number

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 05:57:11 »
Yes, I can't find the number

MOQ ist 250 because of custom colors.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 10:09:39 »
Hopefully vendors will pick up extras.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 22:20:59 »
28 Feb, pic related. And yeah, I’m in. Hopefully.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 02:00:47 »
Set will be made.

Offline DaaDaa

Re: [GB] GMK Umka (CLOSED)
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:41:36 »
any chance of a round 2?
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:44:03 »
any chance of a round 2?

There will be some extras available.

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 14:14:00 »
thats great news. thank you for letting me know. where would they be (i mean on which vendor's website?)  can i buy by contacting you?
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 14:48:13 »
thats great news. thank you for letting me know. where would they be (i mean on which vendor's website?)  can i buy by contacting you?

I don't sell any sets personally. But you can choose from following vendor list depending on your region.

Vendors:

Once the vendors start to offer extras i will leave a comment in this thread about it. You can also follow the vendor of your choice on Instagram for notifications.

Offline buumb

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 14:35:57 »
hi tombr3y, was the "YMKA" name on the GMK sleeve done on purpose? Instead of "Umka" that is. Just curious

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 14:40:50 »
hi tombr3y, was the "YMKA" name on the GMK sleeve done on purpose? Instead of "Umka" that is. Just curious

Yes, it was done on purpose. It's written in Russian (Cyrillic) "УМКА".

A small back ground to this. There is a soviet cartoon called "Umka". It's very light hearted and lovely as it is about a friendship between a human child and white bear cub. That white bear cub is called "Umka" and many think the cub is named because he is very curious. Umka some sort of sound like a "Smart one" cuz it sounds similar to "умный" (a smart one). But Umka stands for "Bear" in Chuckchi language. That said i kept it in Russian and i like the word play of a smart bear. That's why the bear on the packaging is carrying a keyboard. I hope that gives a proper explanation.

Right now, vendors are offering some extras.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2022, 15:03:00 by T0mb3ry »

Offline keybo_hobo

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 08:55:56 »
Yeah and the only reason i consider buying this set because of my dog's name.

Offline diorite

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 10 July 2023, 19:38:34 »
Just snagged an extra on a decent sale. This is such a gorgeous set, can't believe it didn't sell better. Basically looks amazing on any board. I hope to see boneyard get rerun so I can own it's counterpart, as well. Also, glad I dodged all the cringe political posts. So annoying when people try to inject their political views and ideologies into everything, including fun hobbies and leisurely pastimes that have nothing to do with them. Great work on this set, happy to own it. Keep it up.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 10 July 2023, 20:38:25 »
Just snagged an extra on a decent sale. This is such a gorgeous set, can't believe it didn't sell better. Basically looks amazing on any board. I hope to see boneyard get rerun so I can own it's counterpart, as well. Also, glad I dodged all the cringe political posts. So annoying when people try to inject their political views and ideologies into everything, including fun hobbies and leisurely pastimes that have nothing to do with them. Great work on this set, happy to own it. Keep it up.

Yeah the set is definitely a sleeper hit. So versatile. I'm greatful to be able to own it.

Offline ELE.WORKS

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 00:05:07 »
This color looks too monotonous, it would be better to add an embellishment color

Offline YoungManKim

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 12:51:41 »
This color looks too monotonous, it would be better to add an embellishment color

This was designed as a monotone set. What are you on about?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 16:01:29 »
What if you took the legend color grey and made the mods that color, but then gave those keys orange legends, not beige legends? Keep the alphas the same. That would be a banger set.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 22:28:52 »

Uhhh... learn to read the room mate  :thumb:

Offline diorite

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 02:13:17 »

that’s kind of the point. the embellishment color will typically be the board itself and an understated neutral set like this always looks great on a gorgeous board like the one above you.

Do you also hate wob, bow, beige, etc? not everything has to have bright saturated colors to look nice. not everyone wants some flashy colors all over their desk setup. not everything has to adhere to the rigid accent scheme of standard sets.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 09:29:24 »

This was an offshoot of gmk carbon, like everyone else has said that's kinda the point. I'm like 99% sure that carbon is rerunning so if you can get multiple colours with it.

Yeah the set is definitely a sleeper hit. So versatile. I'm greatful to be able to own it.

Show Image

I don't know why but when I first looked at the image I thought it was a beige set lol, umka and purple look so good together, great build.

Offline CONIN

• Choripán Squad
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 16:26:31 »
Most probably you don't know how or where this set was born.

I'm like 99% sure that carbon is rerunning...
Yup!, T0mb3ry himself said so, but has not given a solid date so far. I'd love to believe before 2023 ends.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 22:52:26 »
Most probably you don't know how or where this set was born.

Could you tell me how/where the set was born? I remember seeing it when I first joined the hobby with gmk penumbra and wanting them really bad but they were out of stock, I remember hearing from t0mb3ry about it (I think on the bro caps discord), but I was like maybe I misremembered.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 23:26:15 »
Go back nearly a decade-SA Carbon ran in early 2015 or so. Alphas would look like Umka, mods were dark grey w orange text-I made a facetious post above about accents basically suggesting that GMK Carbon be made...which was run in 2016, and rerun as an R2 in 2018. For a coupla reasons, R2 didn't sell well; split up alphas and mods get to be expensive. One of the priciest kits per key was an Umka mods set, which let you pair w your Carbon alphas to make a kit that looked like this, but had R0 and R5. Yes it was 160$. Here's the kits that ran, and their prices.

https://matrixzj.github.io/docs/gmk-keycaps/Carbon-R2/

So people liked the mono looks but didnt buy them. T0mb3ry made boneyard (which was also the name of the standalone alphas kit from Carbon R2 GB like Umka mods were) and included some new novs, and would be a cheaper way to get the mono charcoal look, just with R1-R4 instead of the R0-R5 profile. GMK Umka - this set - came after. There was another alt alphas kit in Carbon R2-all orange, called Beezare, but that (sadly) never had a base kit run. Emir liked the all grey kit of Carbon 2 as well, and to cut prices/set it apart/colors looked nice...got stock colors N9 and u9, and GMK Nines was born.

TL;DR The set is the mono version of a really classic GMK set; which after 6 years and...a lotta caps, is still my favorite.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2023, 00:35:09 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline CONIN

• Choripán Squad
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 00:08:17 »
Could you tell me how/where the set was born? I remember seeing it when I first joined the hobby with gmk penumbra and wanting them really bad but they were out of stock, I remember hearing from t0mb3ry about it (I think on the bro caps discord), but I was like maybe I misremembered.
I assume "ELE.WORKS" is an alternate profile of yours, or your misread my reply.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 00:48:49 »
I assume "ELE.WORKS" is an alternate profile of yours, or your misread my reply.

Nah I'm not that person, I think I misread your reply, I knew about carbon and wanted more info on umka, because I didn't know too much about it, in hindsight a lot of the info was in the opening thread and I just missed it. Sorry If I confused you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2023, 00:58:12 by Rhienfo »

Offline diorite

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 00:40:11 »
Go back nearly a decade-SA Carbon ran in early 2015 or so. Alphas would look like Umka, mods were dark grey w orange text-I made a facetious post above about accents basically suggesting that GMK Carbon be made...which was run in 2016, and rerun as an R2 in 2018. For a coupla reasons, R2 didn't sell well; split up alphas and mods get to be expensive. One of the priciest kits per key was an Umka mods set, which let you pair w your Carbon alphas to make a kit that looked like this, but had R0 and R5. Yes it was 160$. Here's the kits that ran, and their prices.

So people liked the mono looks but didnt buy them. T0mb3ry made boneyard (which was also the name of the standalone alphas kit from Carbon R2 GB like Umka mods were) and included some new novs, and would be a cheaper way to get the mono charcoal look, just with R1-R4 instead of the R0-R5 profile. GMK Umka - this set - came after. There was another alt alphas kit in Carbon R2-all orange, called Beezare, but that (sadly) never had a base kit run. Emir liked the all grey kit of Carbon 2 as well, and to cut prices/set it apart/colors looked nice...got stock colors N9 and u9, and GMK Nines was born.

TL;DR The set is the mono version of a really classic GMK set; which after 6 years and...a lotta caps, is still my favorite.

never knew nines was inspired by boneyard. neat. technically spawned sixes then too. Hopefully boneyard will be a possible kitting configuration when carbon reruns. never cared much for orange but umka/boneyard are chef’s kiss. I also have nines/sixes so I guess it’s just my style. All these sets go really well on so many boards.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 06:13:27 »

never knew nines was inspired by boneyard. neat. technically spawned sixes then too. Hopefully boneyard will be a possible kitting configuration when carbon reruns. never cared much for orange but umka/boneyard are chef’s kiss. I also have nines/sixes so I guess it’s just my style. All these sets go really well on so many boards.

The bone base kit of carbon does look good. Maybe it's because it was one of the first gmk sets I every saw (Along with penumbra but don't think that will ever rerun) but it feels more plain than carbon, The orange adds a lot more to it and makes it look less plain. Another thing is that I prefer text+icon for both carbon and bone but bone weirdly never had Text+Icon for it (but that's a preference thing though)