Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 Brown VS Code Clears  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

Ducky Shine 3 Brown VS Code Clears
« on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 15:02:44 »
So I've decided to create a separate topic to see as many opinions as possible :)
I have Filco TKL with Brown switches. And want to buy second keyboard for home (or work =) ).

Can you help me decide which one is the best (what pros and cons)
Maybe pros for code is Clears (I haven't tried it before)
and pros for Ducky is Lightning modes (don't think I will use it  ;D) and that mechanicalkeyboards has free delivery

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Re: Ducky Shine 3 Brown VS Code Clears
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 09:41:37 »
Have a Ducky Shine II, love the quality.  Lightning effects are not for me, I usually leave them OFF, but do admit that Ducky's are quite nice indeed.

Brown vs Clear take with my roommates phone (my camera is busted!)
More
Browns begin their bump close to 1/3 of the way down, vs clears begin the bump immediately. Clears are MUCH more tactile.  But they are so tactile that they stick on the lighter springs (such as 45 used in browns).  I imagine this is why browns exist in the light spring group but not clears.

Stock clears require more force the more you press down.  Spring comparison:
More

Hope this helps.  Sorry if spam.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 09:48:47 »
One big difference is ducky will have cherry stabilizers versus costar in the code.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 11:35:07 »
Have a Ducky Shine II, love the quality.  Lightning effects are not for me, I usually leave them OFF, but do admit that Ducky's are quite nice indeed.

Brown vs Clear take with my roommates phone (my camera is busted!)
More
Show Image
Browns begin their bump close to 1/3 of the way down, vs clears begin the bump immediately. Clears are MUCH more tactile.  But they are so tactile that they stick on the lighter springs (such as 45 used in browns).  I imagine this is why browns exist in the light spring group but not clears.

Stock clears require more force the more you press down.  Spring comparison:
More
Show Image

Hope this helps.  Sorry if spam.

Thank you! You've made a lot of work! And wich switches do you prefer more? Are they both quite? (I use o-ring in mine)

One big difference is ducky will have cherry stabilizers versus costar in the code.

Can I use o-ring with keyboards that have backlight?

Offline Defect

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 13:10:41 »

Thank you! You've made a lot of work! And wich switches do you prefer more? Are they both quite? (I use o-ring in mine)

Browns and clears are both quiet.  I prefer clears.  The only thing I like about browns is that the bump starts a little bit after the key press, vs clears the bump is very high at the top of the key press.  But the bump in the clears is way more pronounced, and with lube + spring swaps I think it's even better.  On some days I love my stock clears, too.  They really help if you have trouble with frequent bottom outs.  Honestly I don't know why these were rare for so long, they're probably tied with blacks as my favorite stock cherry switch.

Offline kohi

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 13:52:29 »

yes, you can use o-rings on backlit keyboards~ it won't affect the LEDs in any way
and code boards in clears are pretty hard to come by these days? I've only seen codes with green switches
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 April 2014, 13:55:38 by hojunski »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:02:28 »

yes, you can use o-rings on backlit keyboards~ it won't affect the LEDs in any way
and code boards in clears are pretty hard to come by these days? I've only seen codes with green switches
I'm sure they stick out a little bit and affect the LED...which is why there are clear ones on ebay

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:17:05 »
So everyone prefers Code with clears, right? =))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:23:35 »

I greatly prefer my ducky shine 2 with clears to the code with clears, but I also didn't try the code with double shot abs caps like I have on my ducky. I prefer cherry stabilizers to costar also.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:36:05 »

I greatly prefer my ducky shine 2 with clears to the code with clears, but I also didn't try the code with double shot abs caps like I have on my ducky. I prefer cherry stabilizers to costar also.

Shine 3 doesn't have Clear option =(
"double shot abs caps" -- so there is difference between keycaps on Code and Shine?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:39:36 »
I'll suggest clears until the death. Personally, I like a heavier switch, and since I've been using clears, I'll never look back. I hate the feeling of browns, because they just feel scratchy to me. Clears have a nice bump and the added weight makes it a little more difficult to bottom out which is nice and gives you a nice, quiet experience.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 16:44:13 »

"double shot abs caps" -- so there is difference between keycaps on Code and Shine?

I'm using aftermarket caps on my ducky, GMK Dolch which are abs doubleshot.

But if you want clears it is pretty much the code or mod another board or buy an older one, not very many options at least not in 'new' boards with clears.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 16:53:24 »

I'm using aftermarket caps on my ducky, GMK Dolch which are abs doubleshot.

But if you want clears it is pretty much the code or mod another board or buy an older one, not very many options at least not in 'new' boards with clears.

I don't know if I realy need Clears... I haven't had chance to try them. I have browns and I got used to them. But I thought I love heavy switches (but not clicky) :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:02:50 »
I think for me the cap quality would be the deal breaker for me. I have a WASD V2 and the ABS caps are pretty crappy to be honest.

I used browns for a long while, and now I'm using clears at work, and if I'm honest, I think I prefer clears for extended typing, but for general use browsing and things, with occasional posts, I probably prefer browns.

I also like the huge amount of backlight customisation options on the Ducky. So I would say Ducky.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 02:40:21 »
I think for me the cap quality would be the deal breaker for me. I have a WASD V2 and the ABS caps are pretty crappy to be honest.

I used browns for a long while, and now I'm using clears at work, and if I'm honest, I think I prefer clears for extended typing, but for general use browsing and things, with occasional posts, I probably prefer browns.

I also like the huge amount of backlight customisation options on the Ducky. So I would say Ducky.

Does it mean that quality of keycaps is different?

Offline Defect

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 03:34:18 »

Does it mean that quality of keycaps is different?

Have not used a WASD board, but most Ducky's are also ABS.  I did not really have a problem with the ducky's ABS caps, but I replaced them with thick pbt anyways because for me, POM>ThickPBT>ThinPBT>Else for clear switches.

If modding is out of the question, I would go with the Code board in your situation just because of the switches.  That is all personal preference, though, as I cannot stand brown switches.  I cannot speak to the quality of the CODE, but I will say that Ducky quality has not let me down.  I might have already said that earlier.  Oh well, it's late.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 04:41:53 »
I'll suggest clears until the death. Personally, I like a heavier switch, and since I've been using clears, I'll never look back. I hate the feeling of browns, because they just feel scratchy to me. Clears have a nice bump and the added weight makes it a little more difficult to bottom out which is nice and gives you a nice, quiet experience.

Do you think that the higher actuation force (vs Browns) makes up for less bottoming out on the Clears (vs Browns)? I have Browns and I'm wondering whether I should give Clears a go.. For me it sounds like less bottoming out but higher actuation force (Clears) vs more bottoming out with lower actuation force (Browns). And I have to admit, I can type lightly on my Browns as to prevent bottoming out, but it is difficult to do so.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 04:52:51 »

Do you think that the higher actuation force (vs Browns) makes up for less bottoming out on the Clears (vs Browns)? I have Browns and I'm wondering whether I should give Clears a go.. For me it sounds like less bottoming out but higher actuation force (Clears) vs more bottoming out with lower actuation force (Browns). And I have to admit, I can type lightly on my Browns as to prevent bottoming out, but it is difficult to do so.

Clears have a different spring profile which increases the force needed more rapidly as you approach the bottom of the stroke. This, combined with the bigger bump, stronger spring overall and the fact that the bump starts at the beginning of the stroke combine to make it a lot easier to not hit the bottom with Clears vs Browns.

I'd love to try a lighter spring in Clears with the same kind of increasing profile, though. I trampoline mod my switches which helps learn to develop a lighter touch when typing and feels a bit like the increasing pressure profile of stock Clears, just more pronounced. It also reduces shock and noise a lot. I can't go back to unmodded switches or orings any more.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 15:47:29 »
Code - 150 + 31 (delivery, it's essential to get it before friday)
Ducky - 140 + 16 (delivery)

:confused:

Offline Defect

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 16:04:12 »
Soldering Iron: $55
Solder sucker/pump: $7
QFR: $70 (average.  Seen much cheaper, seen more expensive)
Bag of clear switches: $40

172 + shipping and you get to keep 87 switches and a soldering iron.

And you get a fun learning experience and the option for modded springs/lube.

Edit: did not see your location or "get it by Friday" requirement.  Just a fun suggestion though.  Given your two choices, I'd look into this one :P but that's just me
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 16:06:19 by Defect »

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 16:10:25 »
Soldering Iron: $55
Solder sucker/pump: $7
QFR: $70 (average.  Seen much cheaper, seen more expensive)
Bag of clear switches: $40

172 + shipping and you get to keep 87 switches and a soldering iron.

And you get a fun learning experience and the option for modded springs/lube.

Edit: did not see your location or "get it by Friday" requirement.  Just a fun suggestion though.  Given your two choices, I'd look into this one :P but that's just me

:)) Unfortunately, this option does not suit me  :)) and I should choose between these two... and I have only 1 hour to decide... =/