Author Topic: Replace Cherry stabilizers with Costar stabilizers?  (Read 7199 times)

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

Replace Cherry stabilizers with Costar stabilizers?
« on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 12:31:35 »
About the only negative things I've heard about Ducky keyboards is that they use Cherry stabilizers which some people do not like.

Is it possible to modify a board that uses Cherry stabilizers to one which uses Costar stabilizers?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Replace Cherry stabilizers with Costar stabilizers?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 12:35:09 »
Cherry stabilizers which some people do not like.

Clip the stabs. Its less work than converting it to costar, and it feels the same

Offline Doesntknowwhattosay

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 15:42:37 »
Clip the stabs. Its less work than converting it to costar, and it feels the same

Feels even better in my opinion. And you can actually use the right shift with cherry layout properly. I cant press mine down to the bottom with costars...

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 21:17:13 »

Do you have  pictures?

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 21:19:15 »

Do you have  pictures?

How to remove the stabs

And here is how to clip them

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:50:49 »
Quote from: Pacifist

Or lube it with low viscosity oil, it feels almost the same
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:53:01 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:42:25 »
About the only negative things I've heard about Ducky keyboards is that they use Cherry stabilizers which some people do not like.

Is it possible to modify a board that uses Cherry stabilizers to one which uses Costar stabilizers?
Have you tried cherry stabs?   It's all a matter of personal preference. I prefer cherry myself. You may like them.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:43:05 »

bottom out is still screwed up

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:24:11 »
I prefer Cherry stabilisers. They're less fiddly, less rattly and less prone to misalignment/sticking than Costar style stabilisers.

The thing people tend to complain about with them is that they feel the bottom out is"mushy". This is due to little bendy tabs on the sliders which can be clipped off to allow it to bottom out properly, like the switches do.

Lubing doesn't change this, you need to clip them to fix it, but doing both is best :)

I use trampoline modded switches and find the bendy tabs help the stabilised keys feel more like the single keys (since both the switch and the stabs have a similar "mushy" bottom out feel), so I keep mine unclipped.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:53:56 »

Why not both?
I show how to clip them and some lube points in this video:

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:09:43 »
Does anybody have good over time experience with clipped stabs?
And does a clipped stab rattle more than a not clipped?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:10:55 »
Does anybody have good over time experience with clipped stabs?
And does a clipped stab rattle more than a not clipped?

Clipped is smooth as hell I can tell you that. Rattling not sure as far as I can tell it's the same. I highly recommend clipping cherry stabs A+++ :thumb:
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:16:59 »
I've had clipped Cherry stabilizers on my KMAC since I built it about a year ago. It's easily my favorite stabilizer. It feels crisp like Costars do but is convenient like Cherry stabilizers. I haven't had any rattling issues.

Offline napalmbrain

• Formerly known as xibu
  • Hi.
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:17:38 »
How to remove the stabs

Is there a better video that that? Or a better image album? I felt that that didn't explain things well...
Poker II for life.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:50:50 »
Is there a better video that that? Or a better image album? I felt that that didn't explain things well...

See the video I linked above:
I think I explained everything I do there.

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:50:55 »
I use trampoline modded switches and find the bendy tabs help the stabilised keys feel more like the single keys (since both the switch and the stabs have a similar "mushy" bottom out feel), so I keep mine unclipped.
What's a trampoline mod ( heard of it but haven't seen it ).

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:55:41 »
You put a small rubber material inside the hole that the stem fits into so there's more bounce, like a trampoline.
I love Elzy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:52:22 »
You put a small rubber material inside the hole that the stem fits into so there's more bounce, like a trampoline.

I think simple o-rings feel the same, and their installation requires a lot less work, than trampoline, or silicone balls installation.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 20:07:51 »
I think simple o-rings feel the same, and their installation requires a lot less work, than trampoline, or silicone balls installation.

It supposedly feels different (/better) and I could absolutely imagine it to feel different.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 20:13:07 »

It supposedly feels different (/better) and I could absolutely imagine it to feel different.

In both cases all you have is a soft bumper, I do not really see what may differ, mechanically. The only difference is the position of the bumper, at the top, or at the bottom.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 20:30:22 »
In both cases all you have is a soft bumper, I do not really see what may differ, mechanically. The only difference is the position of the bumper, at the top, or at the bottom.

While the O-ring can expand a lot while pressing down, a silicone ball within the small inner stem cannot. Because of this the resistance should increase quicker and thus reduce the mushyness of O-rings. At least that's what I think should happen, I haven't tried this mod myself.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 23:25:39 »
Why don't people like cherry stabs?

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 23:36:38 »
Cherry is better.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 23:41:32 »
Cherry is better.
I agree... Although that may be because I like to replace my Keycaps a lot... Perhaps too often   :cool:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 00:05:26 »
I use costar in my space bars and cherry in the rest. Can flip the space bar out, looks badass. Both feel great.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 00:07:19 »
I use costar in my space bars and cherry in the rest. Can flip the space bar out, looks badass. Both feel great.
Do you not like the feeling of a space bar using cherry stabs?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 01:03:09 »

While the O-ring can expand a lot while pressing down, a silicone ball within the small inner stem cannot. Because of this the resistance should increase quicker and thus reduce the mushyness of O-rings. At least that's what I think should happen, I haven't tried this mod myself.

^^This. The balls from IMSTO in particular are like this, the punched "hourglass" shaped pieces of rubber are perhaps the closest to orings, with the cut pieces of orings somewhere in between. I like all three, but they all feel different.

You can adjust the feeling of the mod based on both materials and shape, not to mention where the effect starts by adjusting the height of the pieces.

I highly recommend the silicone balls for the mod if you want a softer landing and to prevent the bottom out noise without the mushy compression of orings. It starts out softer than orings, but the resistance increases quickly due to the shape of the area under the stem for the ball to deform into.

Since the mod is in the switch itself you also don't need to transfer orings when changing caps or experiment with different oring thicknesses or numbers for different profile caps. SP DCS profile in particular can be problematic due to the lack of crossbars in the caps and different stem heights for each row.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 01:12:43 »
Yes this is absolutely possible..

you will have to cut the stabilizer-guides bottom out the (costar inserts)..   then glue it to the plate..

This is a low stress part, so even with regular super glue, it should last FOREVER...

just be precise when you glue..

if you mess up, that's fine, just pop it off, and try again..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 19:43:27 »

^^This. The balls from IMSTO in particular are like this, the punched "hourglass" shaped pieces of rubber are perhaps the closest to orings, with the cut pieces of orings somewhere in between. I like all three, but they all feel different.

You can adjust the feeling of the mod based on both materials and shape, not to mention where the effect starts by adjusting the height of the pieces.

I highly recommend the silicone balls for the mod if you want a softer landing and to prevent the bottom out noise without the mushy compression of orings. It starts out softer than orings, but the resistance increases quickly due to the shape of the area under the stem for the ball to deform into.

Since the mod is in the switch itself you also don't need to transfer orings when changing caps or experiment with different oring thicknesses or numbers for different profile caps. SP DCS profile in particular can be problematic due to the lack of crossbars in the caps and different stem heights for each row.

Agree with both comments. I should try the balls at some point on my Poker X with reds, I think it will get a very feeling, with o-rings it is great already.