Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310260 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:12:07 »

Binge, I just got back from vacation and TechKeys are sold out. Any idea when they will get a resupply?

Also I might as well ask while I'm here. My current sculpt is on a synth2. When I go to mold it I will have to do a 2 part (or 3 if you count the synth) mold because of it's height and shape. So with the 3 I can always use the base without the mold box, but how hard is it to do a 2 or 3 part mold in the mold box. Also I do bake my sculpts when I have to do multi-part molds so they can be separated from other clay easily.

I'm attaching an example that is just sculpted on a cap so you can see what I mean about needing the multi-part molds.

The mold box is pretty utilitarian in its height as it works for most normal sculpts and blanks in mind.  For custom mold heights I would suggest using legos to create larger walls.  The synth's key registration will work just as well as if it had a mold box, but this will require you use a bit more silicone to create your molds.  You should only need a two part mold to complete this.  For most any 3 dimensional object two parts should be all you need to create something which can be demolded.  I'd like to expand on this, but using the tool to create molds will give you the best lessons.  Please don't be afraid to hop back in here with some pictures or questions after moving a bit further along.

Hey Binge. I asked earlier this year about base without milled holes, dedicated just for making moulds. Also higher box option would be nice, coz I found out that current one in some projects its too low and key barely is covered by silicone, and its always better to have bigger margin than a half of milimeter. Tutorial/hints on how to clear it from resin residue, that are most commonly used, would be nice. Other than that synth is perfect as it is :)

We are working on a dedicated sculpting base without the holes.  If your key is too short for the box, please just create a box from legos.  The base is measured to be built around.  Lego mold boxes are common in all kinds of casting and tutorials/techniques for those boxes are available all over the web.  The mold box height is carefully created for those who wish to save on silicone costs when producing caps within a very generous margin of space.

The best way to clean up a mold of resin residue is to use a good mold release.  Without release there is no great solution for cleaning molds.  Silicone at a level is porous and once resin embeds itself it's impossible to remove even when dissolved.  This is because it will simply work its way further into the mold.  High quality releases prevent this interaction from happening with your molds and as a result expands the life of your molds. If you live CONUS, I sell mold releases on my website which make this very easy.

https://hungerwork.studio/collections/resin-casting-products
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 August 2019, 15:54:32 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #801 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 14:15:27 »

Soon Hunger Work Studio will be releasing the Synth 3.1 with improved fitment for lower profile keys, OEM and GMK stem depths, and the option for bases to be made without alignment notches.

The process will be a group buy run through https://hungerwork.studio/ where units can be purchased for production.  Our goal will be to meet MOQ of 20 units or more.

Production time for MOQ will be 3 weeks, and an additional week for every 20 units.

Any number of parts can be ordered.

Parts include,

Base in OEM or GMK stem depth & with or without alignment notches, custom laser engraving for makers marks upon request with an adequate mono-color vectorized graphic.
Stems
Box Set

Pricing TBA

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #802 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 21:21:53 »
Show Image

Soon Hunger Work Studio will be releasing the Synth 3.1 with improved fitment for lower profile keys, OEM and GMK stem depths, and the option for bases to be made without alignment notches.

The process will be a group buy run through https://hungerwork.studio/ where units can be purchased for production.  Our goal will be to meet MOQ of 20 units or more.

Production time for MOQ will be 3 weeks, and an additional week for every 20 units.

Any number of parts can be ordered.

Parts include,

Base in OEM or GMK stem depth & with or without alignment notches, custom laser engraving for makers marks upon request with an adequate mono-color vectorized graphic.
Stems
Box Set

Pricing TBA

It sounds like these are just slight modifications to the bases and that the new bases will be compatible with the 3.0 mold box? It defiantly sounds like it and from the photo looks like it, is that in fact the intent? Either way I am placing my order for a full set 3.0 and I might need to get a few extra bases as I have several sculpts going right now and I just work on which ever one I'm inspired to work on that day. I'm also not real good at it yet so I'm slow and constantly fixing goof-ups. Practice makes better but never perfect.

Thanks for this update and all the work you put into this project!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #803 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 23:30:26 »
It sounds like these are just slight modifications to the bases and that the new bases will be compatible with the 3.0 mold box?

Yes the new bases are fully cross compatible with old tooling.  The only thing bases will change is the height of the inner ceiling of the cap.

It defiantly sounds like it and from the photo looks like it, is that in fact the intent?

Yes.  Having people suddenly change their tooling because of updates is not my idea of a great time.  Love supporters and makers.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #804 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 16:47:02 »
Would love to get my hands on one of these!

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #805 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 10:11:06 »
Thanks Binge!

My 3.0 has been ordered.

Here is a preview of what is on my 2.0 though.

224642-0

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #806 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 11:57:14 »
Thanks for your responses and support.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #807 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 09:10:49 »

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #808 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 12:49:17 »
Bought what I could afford; extremely stoked.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #809 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 13:08:25 »
Bought what I could afford; extremely stoked.

Happy to serve!  Hit us up if you have any questions at all.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #810 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 14:40:57 »
Are orders still going out/being made? I imagine there are a lot of orders.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #811 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 11:29:18 »
Are orders still going out/being made? I imagine there are a lot of orders.

The orders were put on hold in Oct, fulfillment/shipping is estimated in Dec.

Offline NUDEcnc

• * Vendor
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #812 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 10:30:28 »
Hi Guys
I have not been here for a while but I hope some of you still remember me. I just posted a video on YouTube about CNC machining of the :~$ynth 1.0
I thought you may enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/6aGA7CuGwoo

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #813 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 12:45:58 »
*watching thread to avoid missing out again*

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #814 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 15:51:29 »
Any updates?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #815 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 14:58:43 »
Any updates?

Yeah!  The Synths made it here, were sent out, and remaining units are posted to https://hungerwork.studio :)

Offline retoid

« Reply #816 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 13:38:37 »
Is there any plans to have more of these made in the near future?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #817 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 13:45:15 »

Not sure when a rerun/restock is scheduled, but the :~$ynth is stocked by TechKeys -- https://techkeys.us/products/synth?variant=20361239748 and made/stocked by Salvun -- https://salvun.com/collections/featured/products/synth-3-2

Offline retoid

« Reply #818 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 13:57:05 »

Not sure when a rerun/restock is scheduled, but the :~$ynth is stocked by TechKeys -- https://techkeys.us/products/synth?variant=20361239748 and made/stocked by Salvun -- https://salvun.com/collections/featured/products/synth-3-2

Thank you, yeah I found both of those sites from searching around and both are sold out. I did find another place that had a couple of the pieces for sale. But I am personally interested in the whole set.
Ordered one of those L2K-MX-03: Casting Adapter lego pieces from Shapeways the other day and will start with that. Have a lot of learning to do, but I've been wanting to get into resin casting for some time now. This looks like a fun hobby and a fun way to be creative.