geekhack Community > Off Topic

Oh god no

<< < (4/4)

Kelseer:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 08 May 2021, 16:47:52 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Sat, 08 May 2021, 15:13:45 ---From work?

--- End quote ---

The very same.

White collar work in these countries is basically, here you have to drink 100-400ml of alcohol every other day..

Show Image

--- End quote ---

I don't know much about China, though I won't be surprised if there are a lot of similarities, but I lived in Malaysia for 4 years. Can confirm, depending on which group you associate with, drinking can a large part of the work culture. Crazy expensive as well. A bottle of single malt cost around 80-100 USD from a restaurant or pub, maybe half that in a supermarket. But other than that, I loved those 4 years in that country.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: Kelseer on Sun, 09 May 2021, 19:09:11 ---I don't know much about China, though I won't be surprised if there are a lot of similarities, but I lived in Malaysia for 4 years. Can confirm, depending on which group you associate with, drinking can a large part of the work culture. Crazy expensive as well. A bottle of single malt cost around 80-100 USD from a restaurant or pub, maybe half that in a supermarket. But other than that, I loved those 4 years in that country.

--- End quote ---

Yea, if you drink on your own dime it's stupid expensive, because import is considered Cool, and Paying for irrational Premium is a status symbol power move. The larger corp I represent, we can contract with restaurants and clubs, that way we'd pay in bulk and could have slight micromanagement. For example I'd wave the hostess for fake knockoff liquor on the cheap clients, or if I presume the client isn't terribly aware. They came in indistinguisable boxes, but the trick is,  I would PRETEND to check its authenticity and berate the hostess for potentially scamming us, but she's in on it, and would go to the backroom and bring back the exact same thing, but then congratulate the team on how we're sharp customers.

Kelseer:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sun, 09 May 2021, 19:38:23 ---
--- Quote from: Kelseer on Sun, 09 May 2021, 19:09:11 ---I don't know much about China, though I won't be surprised if there are a lot of similarities, but I lived in Malaysia for 4 years. Can confirm, depending on which group you associate with, drinking can a large part of the work culture. Crazy expensive as well. A bottle of single malt cost around 80-100 USD from a restaurant or pub, maybe half that in a supermarket. But other than that, I loved those 4 years in that country.

--- End quote ---

Yea, if you drink on your own dime it's stupid expensive, because import is considered Cool, and Paying for irrational Premium is a status symbol power move. The larger corp I represent, we can contract with restaurants and clubs, that way we'd pay in bulk and could have slight micromanagement. For example I'd wave the hostess for fake knockoff liquor on the cheap clients, or if I presume the client isn't terribly aware. They came in indistinguisable boxes, but the trick is,  I would PRETEND to check its authenticity and berate the hostess for potentially scamming us, but she's in on it, and would go to the backroom and bring back the exact same thing, but then congratulate the team on how we're sharp customers.

Show Image

--- End quote ---

This. I think its the concept of face. Its fascinating. I've never seen folks more in love with status symbols like Rolex watches (Submariner, but folks loved the Daytona), cars, LV and designer stuff & expensive single malt liquor. Money = Respect. That was when I let go off material stuff like that, but still kept a few close local friends. It's culturally totally different to where I live now, in Manila.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version