Author Topic: 10keyless MS 4000  (Read 3416 times)

Offline bbbbqq

10keyless MS 4000
« on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 21:46:38 »
Just modded my old MS4000 into a 10keyless board. A good board made excellent. Not a difficult mod, either.

[size=+2]Disassembly[/size]
    [*]Remove every keycap
    [*]Clean your keyboard. Don't let it look like this:

[*]Unscrew all 21 (!) screws from the bottom
    [*]Unscrew the two screws under the spacebar
    [*]Remove the wrist rests (just pull
    [*]There is one screw under each wrist rest, joining the silver plastic to the bottom. Unscrew.
    [*]The center portion with the leds has a small clip joining the silver plastic to the bottom. Slip a screw driver in, give it a twist to unlatch the clip.
    [*]The top plastic and bottom can now be removed.
    [/LIST]

[size=+2]Inner workings[/size]
      [*]As expected, the board is very simple inside: 2 sheets of plastic with printed traces, and a few sheets of membranes. Take off the membranes and the sheets. You should now have just the top and bottom plastic. Maybe the controller too, it doesn't matter.
      [*]Mark out where you want to cut. I recommend the left edge of the numpad, since it is smooth plastic there.
      [*]Match the top and bottom cover and the right hand wrist rest, maybe fasten a few screws to hold it together
      [*]Cut where you marked it out. A band saw would work best, but a hand saw will as well.
      [*]de-burr. Deburr the **** out of it.
      [/list]

[size=+2]Reassembly[/size]
        [*]Put the sheets of plastic back in, and the left hand membranes.
        [*]On the right hand membrane, mark out where the numpad is, and use a pair of sharp scissors to cut only the rubber sheet. Do not cut the plastic sheet.
        [*]Use tape between the plastic sheets where the numpad would have been. You cannot let the two sheets touch where the traces are, or it will register.
        [*]Fold the overhanging part over, and tape it to the bottom of the board.
        [/list]

Result:

Disadvantages:
        - Can't use the numpad led anymore
        - The feet of the board will be cut off, and you will need to ghetto some feet. I used cardboard and tape.
        - Cut edge can be a bit sharp

Idea from http://tlb.org/keyboardchop.html

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
        • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
        10keyless MS 4000
        « Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 22:01:20 »
        Nice job. Lanx also does stuff like this. His projects are quite insane to say the least.

Offline flags

10keyless MS 4000
        « Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 00:25:45 »
        Inspired me to do the same with an old keyboard I had laying around. Looks good!
        KBC Poker w/ Blue Switches - Razer BlackWidow