Author Topic: [IC] Haskell 87 (formerly custom rubber dome)  (Read 30679 times)

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
Re: [IC] Custom Rubber Dome
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 18:01:06 »
any update on this project?  :)

So I ordered a new plate to test the cherry stabs as someone asked.

As shown in the photo, it's not possible to support Cherry stabs. The slider housing is too large that leaves no room for the Cherry stabs. Costar stab is the only possible way I can think of.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 18:07:23 »
BTW, I tried to record a typing demo as wixxzblu and FrostyToast asked. My phone can't do it well.
Any suggestions which budget microphone can do the job?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 14:27:08 »
That case looks great :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Kallus

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 03:37:18 »
if this happens will can you do iso support?

Offline fcoury

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 20:43:27 »
Please make it happen!

Offline hikashi1988

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 23:26:27 »
Looking forward to the sound video..

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Offline japancakes

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 00:07:10 »
Can you confirm if BKE Redux would work in this?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 15:21:23 »

Yes, BKE Redux works perfectly in the case.

Offline mrkantz

Re: [IC] Haskell 87 (formerly custom rubber dome)
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 15:27:22 »
Really excited for this, looks great!

Offline 8Bitterness

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 11:59:21 »
I'm curious, how do these feel compared to Topre? I also was Looking as the Archon RE:AL Superior EX but this case is really beautiful in comparison, and that's saying something considering the Archon case was super nice to begin with!

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 17:53:28 »
I'm curious, how do these feel compared to Topre? I also was Looking as the Archon RE:AL Superior EX but this case is really beautiful in comparison, and that's saying something considering the Archon case was super nice to begin with!

It depends on what domes you use. Most people agree that the Niz 35g domes are too light and not tactile. I'm using 50g domes from Niz and they feel very similar with 45g Realforce domes.

BKE redux domes are also compatible with the case and PCB.

Offline digisax

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 09:49:32 »
Love it, I'd be interested.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline Gobluebro

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 08:19:13 »
I am interested. I have an ABKO K935P board that uses the same kind of switches. Do you think it would be compatible?

It's fine if it's not, I enjoy these switches a lot so getting another is okay.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 09:18:03 »
I am interested. I have an ABKO K935P board that uses the same kind of switches. Do you think it would be compatible?

Own(ed) both the Abko and the Archon. Archon is beautiful lubed up and domeswapped (my personal pref is the 65g Hansung OEM domes sold on ebay for a modest price, and they drop right in with no modification aside from some slits to poke some LEDs through on the PCB). Abko is also fantastic, but has a plastic plate IIRC so not like the metal plate found on the Plum TKL.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline mkarlsson

[IC] Haskell 87 (formerly custom rubber dome)
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 13:01:08 »
Very interesting project!

AFAIK Niz does not do any ISO keyboard right? Do you think it would be possible to do it in this project?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2018, 13:16:23 by mkarlsson »

Offline hikashi1988

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 11:26:19 »
still waiting for the sound test.
somehow hoping comparison with realforce / norbaforce.

Offline tayumpee

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 18:20:16 »
Made an account to say that I support this project 100%  :thumb:

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 13:31:44 »
Sorry to get offtopic, but what are those keycaps in OP?

Offline NINJER

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 07:36:55 »
Nice!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 12:11:13 »
Any chance for other layouts for the bottom row?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Unlike MX switch or even ALPS switch keyboards, an EC keyboard PCB can only support a single layout. I think other layouts, say WKL layout, can only be supported by another newly designed PCB from Niz. That's not impossible according to the good experiences I spoke with Niz.

If there can only be one layout, I'd prefer standard bottom row. Either way, this looks so nice!  :thumb:  Looking forward to GB.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:22:14 »
It would be great if you can offer the whole board with the niz internals. Is that a possibility

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 19:30:00 »
I think some programmability would be sweet.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:15:11 »

Plum is the OEM so I guess it's compatible. I'm not 100 percent sure.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:18:29 »
Very interesting project!

AFAIK Niz does not do any ISO keyboard right? Do you think it would be possible to do it in this project?

Thanks!

It's possible only if Plum is willing to develop a new PCB just for a small group of people in the keyboard community.

Just assume that's possible, I would suggest them to make a WKL layout first tbh.

I talked with them before, they said that's possible there are enough interests.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:22:49 »
It would be great if you can offer the whole board with the niz internals. Is that a possibility

That was the plan b. My original plan was to order only each part from Niz including the PCB, switch housings, springs, domes, sliders, and so on. Niz told me, due to the number I asked, they can only provide me the internals without keycaps, cases, cables. The plate will be wasted because I make top mount aluminum plate.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:27:47 »
I think some programmability would be sweet.

The PCB is programmable using a Windows software. I only used the 87 RGB version and Bluetooth version keyboards so didn't use the software a lot. The software is not bad according to my limited experiences.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:32:07 »
but why plum? their version of costar is terrible (I used to own a 75 and an 87), and the consistency of the sliders are bad as well. the stock 35g and 45g domes are too soft, unless you get (the almost always out of stock) 55g or 65g korean domes from ebay. then the sliders. the fit of caps on the sliders are very inconsistent (maybe could be replaced with other custom sliders?).

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:40:52 »
To those who are interested in this project, I'm sorry to say it's currently suspended. It's not just because I'm running another GB for Dasher D60, also I find some other problems. The original goal was to provide a custom Topre-like keyboard with customizability without harvesting parts from expensive Topre keyboards. The fact most annoyed me is that Plum stopped producing 65g domes. At least they don't have the 65g domes in stock right now. The 55g domes they have are not bad, but not as tactile as the Topre 55g domes. Here is the force curve of Niz 55g domes: https://plot.ly/~haata/572/ . You can see it's closer to 50g. Here are the Topre force curves for comparison: https://plot.ly/~haata/67 . I was a little disappointed after I saw the force curves. It would be disappointing to run the GB with only the 55g domes.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:46:49 »
but why plum? their version of costar is terrible (I used to own a 75 and an 87), and the consistency of the sliders are bad as well. the stock 35g and 45g domes are too soft, unless you get (the almost always out of stock) 55g or 65g korean domes from ebay. then the sliders. the fit of caps on the sliders are very inconsistent (maybe could be replaced with other custom sliders?).

I have decided to suspend this project but I still disagree with your points.
I use Filco costar stabs and they are not bad at all.
What do you mean by slider consistency? The sliders are smooth after lubing imo.
The so-called Korean domes are actually produced by Plum. The original plan was to provide 55g and 65g domes only. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I decide to suspend this project mostly because the lack of 65g domes.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 21:00:57 »

What do you mean by slider consistency? The sliders are smooth after lubing imo.
The so-called Korean domes are actually produced by Plum. The original plan was to provide 55g and 65g domes only. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I decide to suspend this project mostly because the lack of 65g domes.

Maybe I'm the odd one out on this, but that's a silly reason to stop for a cool product such as this. Topre domes are very easy to replace, so any user could do so later. People already often use BKE domes instead.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 21:19:22 »

Maybe I'm the odd one out on this, but that's a silly reason to stop for a cool product such as this. Topre domes are very easy to replace, so any user could do so later. People already often use BKE domes instead.

I disagree that the stock Niz sliders are scratchy (at least after lubing), and I do not have issues with inconsistent fit on keycaps. I also have no issues with the Niz implementation of costar stabs, which are beautifully quiet and stable with minimal effort to lube them (as opposed to lubing and clipping and band-aid modding cherry-style stabs, which don't fit anyway). I have two Niz-made boards, one which I dome swapped and lubed with BKE Redux Heavies, and the other with the 65g Korean OEM domes and lubed sliders.

I think that you're missing the point about not having to harvest pieces from existing Topre products (rendering the original product non-functional/wasted cost). Also, BKE domes are a b*tch to align properly on Niz PCBs because they do not have the alignment pegs between the switches. Also realize that BKE Redux domes would have be sourced from a third party (Keyclack) who have proven to be unreliable in the past and would complicate logistics even further. I agree that while 55g OEM domes are passable, they are not ideal for the best feel with 65g being my preferred for a rounder tactile bump in contrast to the BKE Redux Heavies which have a pronounced/sharper tactile event.

Regardless, I can understand why Ramiel does not feel like the project can move forward at the moment, and it is his time and project to make the decision on. If people really want a high-end heavy CNC/anodized Niz TKL, the "Archon RE:AL Superior EX" can be sourced from Korea in standard TKL layout, and the case is based on a design by (the) Duck. I think top-mount was a nice ambition to have, but not necessary since the Nopre boards I own and have owned were all sandwich mount assemblies so the flex/bottoming out is not an issue.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 23:03:54 »

I disagree that the stock Niz sliders are scratchy (at least after lubing), and I do not have issues with inconsistent fit on keycaps. I also have no issues with the Niz implementation of costar stabs, which are beautifully quiet and stable with minimal effort to lube them (as opposed to lubing and clipping and band-aid modding cherry-style stabs, which don't fit anyway). I have two Niz-made boards, one which I dome swapped and lubed with BKE Redux Heavies, and the other with the 65g Korean OEM domes and lubed sliders.

I think that you're missing the point about not having to harvest pieces from existing Topre products (rendering the original product non-functional/wasted cost). Also, BKE domes are a b*tch to align properly on Niz PCBs because they do not have the alignment pegs between the switches. Also realize that BKE Redux domes would have be sourced from a third party (Keyclack) who have proven to be unreliable in the past and would complicate logistics even further. I agree that while 55g OEM domes are passable, they are not ideal for the best feel with 65g being my preferred for a rounder tactile bump in contrast to the BKE Redux Heavies which have a pronounced/sharper tactile event.

Regardless, I can understand why Ramiel does not feel like the project can move forward at the moment, and it is his time and project to make the decision on. If people really want a high-end heavy CNC/anodized Niz TKL, the "Archon RE:AL Superior EX" can be sourced from Korea in standard TKL layout, and the case is based on a design by (the) Duck. I think top-mount was a nice ambition to have, but not necessary since the Nopre boards I own and have owned were all sandwich mount assemblies so the flex/bottoming out is not an issue.

It kind of sounds like that first paragraph is talking to me, but I didn't post the complaints about Niz boards so I'm gonna ignore it. lol

I also have a Niz board with BKE and know exactly how annoying it is to align. I don't think I'm missing any points because it's not required to harvest existing Topre products anymore. That's my point. Even if 65g domes aren't available right now, a number of options are either sourced directly from Niz or Keyclack. He doesn't have to take the responsibility for the logistics. MX/Alps GBs often don't provide switches, so I don't really think this is different (although the overall availability is much smaller).

Obviously it's his time and project, so he can do whatever he wants. But, since this is an interest check, I want him to know that I don't think interest stops because his one preferred dome option is not available.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 13:23:33 »
What a shame it's suspended, hope to see it back soon. You were into something very interesting here. All the luck with the other projects! In the meantime I will keep working in the case I am trying to do for my Novatouch.

Offline tonny950111

• valar morghulis valar dohaeris
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 09:38:14 »
Wow, definitely looking forward this can come into a GB. Actually I think the design is quite amazing that it will be great to be the first full aluminum custom chassis for the Niz/Plum EC 87 keyboard. You should consider a corporation with Niz. The latest version of Niz housing & sliders will debut in Mid 2019.

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 10:43:48 »
This was an amazing idea... it would be very cool to have a custom aluminum electro-capacitive keyboard.

I'll be in if you ever decide to run it as a group buy!

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 12:17:26 »
Wow, definitely looking forward this can come into a GB. Actually I think the design is quite amazing that it will be great to be the first full aluminum custom chassis for the Niz/Plum EC 87 keyboard. You should consider a corporation with Niz. The latest version of Niz housing & sliders will debut in Mid 2019.

Looking forward to the new sliders & hoursings.
There's still no plan for the 65g domes though.

Offline Gobluebro

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 12:18:47 »

They restocked them on ebay if you are interested. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142648185860

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 16:56:17 »
Niz is great. Yes please.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 17:55:07 »
Ooft is this still happening? It looks amazing

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 18:02:52 »
Ooft is this still happening? It looks amazing

They restocked them on ebay if you are interested. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142648185860

Oh I didn't know the 65g domes are restocked.
I'll order one sheet and do a typing test.
You can be the judge whether it's worth doing or not after listened the recording.

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 13:57:32 »
https://www.nizkeyboard.com/product/2019-new-niz-ec-switch/ oooo can by the housings and sliders separately now?

would love and update on this :)

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 13:58:45 »

Show Image

So I ordered a new plate to test the cherry stabs as someone asked.

Show Image

As shown in the photo, it's not possible to support Cherry stabs. The slider housing is too large that leaves no room for the Cherry stabs. Costar stab is the only possible way I can think of.

is it possible to make the plate with more relief cuts? or dare i say even a brass plate?

Offline equalunique

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 14:06:20 »
Incredible work! Keep pushing the state of the art!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 10:24:42 »
Would love this

Offline menuhin

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 16:55:34 »

Yes, BKE Redux works perfectly in the case.

Sold!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline djaeyun

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 13:26:15 »
Would be really interested in this. I've been looking for a nice case for Topre clone boards for a long time. I think it's a misconception that the fake Topre's are "worse" - they're just different. The feel is definitely a lot smoother and distinct vs. genuine Topre and it's something I would own if only the cases for it were nicer.

The Archon RE:AL EX is great but also hard to get outside of Korea.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 15:24:26 »
The Archon RE:AL EX is great but also hard to get outside of Korea.

Slightly OT, but I had no trouble getting my Archon in the USA, but I must've lucked out on the seller having it in stock right when I was looking to get one. Are they actively making and stocking the Archon's in KR?
More

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 18:07:44 »
Cool

Offline zerotank

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 15:46:30 »
Oh man I need this...