Author Topic: KEYCON WEST 2014!  (Read 217752 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: KEYCON WEST 2014!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:44:53 »
i think i'm going to call the west coast for late june, right after all the UCs get out. april is too soon for people to make plans, and most people seem to be asking for summer cons.

for the most part, i think people who go to both conventions are in the minority; most people will be choosing one anyway, so i think having them a couple months apart is going to build excitement rather than make it more difficult for people to attend.

as far as streaming the con is concerned, YES. in fact, i need to meet justin and co. anyway. i'd love to get multiple cameras on twitch.tv for people to watch; one roving cam doing candids and another focused on the organized presentations.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 11:20:45 »
i think i'm going to call the west coast for late june, right after all the UCs get out. april is too soon for people to make plans, and most people seem to be asking for summer cons.

for the most part, i think people who go to both conventions are in the minority; most people will be choosing one anyway, so i think having them a couple months apart is going to build excitement rather than make it more difficult for people to attend.

as far as streaming the con is concerned, YES. in fact, i need to meet justin and co. anyway. i'd love to get multiple cameras on twitch.tv for people to watch; one roving cam doing candids and another focused on the organized presentations.

Just put a camera on the head of the most rambunctious attendee and let them free.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 12:34:08 »

This is great news! Hopefully not the last week of June though since I have obligations already :P

I attend all the Keycons, cater to me!! :P

Just put a camera on the head of the most rambunctious attendee and let them free.

Strap a go-pro cam on someone. I volunteer.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 14:02:48 »
I was hoping this was going to fall in May since I'll be in Northern California for that month.  :'(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 14:11:50 »
I was hoping this was going to fall in May since I'll be in Northern California for that month.  :'(

Clearly, you'll be back in June, then.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 14:27:49 »
may is a really bad month for students. either they have finals or they're about to have finals.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 12:16:14 »
We should move this to the LA area, solely because I would like to attend a Jeopardy filming during the same time as a trip to LA.  Yes, I do believe my priorities are more important than anybody else's.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 12:36:03 »
bwaha. it's a short skip and a jump up to northern cal. also, ron's office is basically the best possible venue for this.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 13:07:11 »
Just make sure that someone pays attention to the stream. Last time it was forgotten at times and left pointing into nothing. Being able to notify from the irc would be nice in such cases, something which would be possible if the sound is left on and high.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 10:50:53 »
I am looking at the second to last weekend in June and the last weekend in June. Actually, the second to last weekend in June might be graduation time for people on quarter systems, so please speak up on these possibilities.

so far:

1) definitely a full weekend, saturday AND sunday this time, with longer days and a dinner on Saturday

2) Lots of vendor presence! Vendors in particular are invited to speak up dates that work or don't work for them

3) I will be working with a couple people to see if we can grab a small hotel block.

thanks folks!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 18:52:10 »
I will be bringing whatever cool KB's I can fit on the airplane Oh, and some tripleshots :P

Please bring the highly painted surface :P

I'll convert it to USB and put the tripleshots on it

---
About late june, Work will be in full swing at the busiest time of the year, It will be very hard to get time off, but I will check.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 22:02:33 »
1) I am looking at the second to last weekend in June and the last weekend in June. Actually, the second to last weekend in June might be graduation time for people on quarter systems

2) definitely a full weekend, saturday AND sunday this time, with longer days and a dinner on Saturday

3) I will be working with a couple people to see if we can grab a small hotel block.

thanks folks!

1) Please please please don't put it on the last weekend in June. I cannot attend if it's on this date. I have an unmovable/unavoidable conflict.

2) Full weekend is a great idea as well as a dinner. I propose 2 dinners though. And a sleepover at Input Nirvana's place :P

3) Hotel Bloc would be so ill. What kinds of stories would come out of it??

Just make sure that someone pays attention to the stream. Last time it was forgotten at times and left pointing into nothing. Being able to notify from the irc would be nice in such cases, something which would be possible if the sound is left on and high.

GB: GoPro cam to strap to my head. No way to miss anything.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 22:07:48 »

CPTBadCamTM sounds excellent. I suggest you also wear a strobe light on a helmet so that when someone writes in the irc channel you'll get a notification.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 22:17:02 »
Gah...really wish I would've gone last year because it was only a short train ride away...definitely can't afford a plane ticket to come to this one =( sad panda.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 00:28:31 »

1) Please please please don't put it on the last weekend in June. I cannot attend if it's on this date. I have an unmovable/unavoidable conflict.

2) Full weekend is a great idea as well as a dinner. I propose 2 dinners though. And a sleepover at Input Nirvana's place :P

oh, the hotel block is your responsibility man. good luck! :D

hmm, if second to last weekend in june is finals, and last is conflict, then might have to jump into july

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:00:31 »
Dear Lordie I would love to come to one of these....but what would I wear? How the hell would I pay for all of this?

And most importantly....what would my wife say? No matter what happens I will be watching. Always watching!!! ;)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 11:03:33 »
Why does all the cool stuff happen in west coast :|  /unfair

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 11:09:21 »

Last year was in Chicago. Maybe next year's will be on the East Coast?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:14:40 »

oh, the hotel block is your responsibility man. good luck! :D

hmm, if second to last weekend in june is finals, and last is conflict, then might have to jump into july

Hotel block is my responsibility huh? Everyone is now crashing at Input Nirvana's place for free!!

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:49:06 »

I vote for July, but not the July 4th weekend. Any other weekend in July is fine with me though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:52:10 »
July works for me as well.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:35:54 »
Will go as long as Halverson drives me ...
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:37:07 »
oh crap, i forgot that that first weekend in july was a holiday.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:43:34 »
OK, i'm looking at either

JUNE 14-15, 2014

OR

JUNE 21-22, 2014

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:45:27 »
Later June just in case I still have exams :(
I love Elzy

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:08:21 »
OK, i'm looking at either

JUNE 14-15, 2014

OR

JUNE 21-22, 2014

June 14 is Flag Day, but more importantly MLG Anaheim is June 20-22...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 19:20:55 »
efffff!!!!

ooh, let's have a meetup at MLG anaheim though. yessssss!!!!!

ok, so we're down to

JUNE 14-15

JULY 12-13

hat tip to JULY 4th weekend since some people get monday off. however, hotel and flight prices are crap/.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 19:21:34 »
July 12-13 :D
I love Elzy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 20:56:53 »

This year will, too.  Within 2 months of West Side Story apparently.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 20:59:43 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:05:07 »

best coast
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:28:21 »

yah, july is really squeezing keywest midwest into late late summer territory. i'd prefer a weekend in june for west tbh.e

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:28:45 »

best coast

There's your coast answer.

As for KEYCON timing...
July is pimp. EGG-zacktleee what we need is a mid-summer bump, am I right?

Yea, I got space for some geeks, it'll be pretty easy, maybe 20 mins from Sams…(proposed KEYCON location), I'm right next to SJO, and several major freeways, 45 mins to downtown SF, 35 mins to Santa Cruz (beach), and O mins to fun, got a grill, and a truck to haul 5 additional geeks. Options may exist.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:51:05 »

yah, july is really squeezing keywest midwest into late late summer territory. i'd prefer a weekend in june for west tbh.e

Or, and this might sound crazy, we could not have two major cons within 2 months of each other.  What other con does that?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 03:01:00 »
efffff!!!!

ooh, let's have a meetup at MLG anaheim though. yessssss!!!!!

ok, so we're down to

JUNE 14-15

JULY 12-13

hat tip to JULY 4th weekend since some people get monday off. however, hotel and flight prices are crap/.

June  14 - 15  please.  July is a no-go for me. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:17:17 »

best coast

There's your coast answer.

As for KEYCON timing...
July is pimp. EGG-zacktleee what we need is a mid-summer bump, am I right?

Yea, I got space for some geeks, it'll be pretty easy, maybe 20 mins from Sams…(proposed KEYCON location), I'm right next to SJO, and several major freeways, 45 mins to downtown SF, 35 mins to Santa Cruz (beach), and O mins to fun, got a grill, and a truck to haul 5 additional geeks. Options may exist.

Dibs on the couch!

Or, and this might sound crazy, we could not have two major cons within 2 months of each other.  What other con does that?

As TJ is alluding to, why does Keycon Midwest have to be in the summer? There's still the rest of the year isn't there?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:27:45 »
i have heard that the midwest becomes uninhabitable during the winter. XD

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:30:34 »
i have heard that the midwest becomes uninhabitable during the winter. XD

The midwest has this really cool time period called "Fall" or "Autumn" as well. :P

Also, since it's indoors, does it really matter if it's cold outside? Heavy snow and ice I understand. But this means we should have up until October/November yes?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 00:14:23 »
The problem with making decisions by committee….they spiral.

(Hotel block=block party)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:29:39 »

best coast

Naw you can't beat the beast coast.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:43:38 »
I could attend a Keycon East event if it was held in New York around xmas/new year.

Europe representin'

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:47:04 »
I could attend a Keycon East event if it was held in New York around xmas/new year.

This is also an ideal time for me to visit New York City. Also I can meet damorgue :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:45:22 »
xmas/ny is a pretty tough time to get tickets into NYC.

anyway, it's time to call a date on the west coast con. the two possibilities are

JUNE 14-15

JULY 12-13

speak now or be forced to plan around other people's schedules ;)

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:21:37 »
Still prefer July.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:33:11 »
July 12-13. More time for planning and works out better for me versus the June date.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 17:04:54 »
July 4th is not a good weekend, as I'm sure you figured out.  My brother is getting married that weekend, and plane tickets and hotel prices are through the roof.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 19:32:00 »

anyway, it's time to call a date on the west coast con. the two possibilities are

JUNE 14-15

JULY 12-13

July
I love Elzy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 22:31:11 »

JUNE 14-15

JULY 12-13

July

Someone that can't go to any restaurant legally doesn't get to pick

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 22:43:26 »

JUNE 14-15

JULY 12-13

July

Someone that can't go to any restaurant legally doesn't get to pick

I turn my back and you guys get brutal. I won't turn my back at KEYCON…you rat bastards will cut me and jam on my boardz.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 01:44:58 »
Yet I can go strip clubs amazing logic
I love Elzy