Author Topic: What VPN does everyone use?  (Read 43374 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
What VPN does everyone use?
« on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 13:22:40 »
Personally, I have been using Private Internet Access (PIA) for the past ~4 years and have no issue with it. There are great linux solutions, and they have a number of servers across a number of countries.

Most importantly... no logs!
https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219457547-Do-you-log-the-traffic-of-your-users-
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline atectatifern

Re: What VPN does everyone use?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 14:34:48 »
Been okay with PIA for several years also, but sometime's it's a victim of its own popularity and its exit IPs get blocked. VyprVPN (comes with Giganews Diamond subscription) is good for tunneling out of restrictive networks that use IPS to block OpenVPN. Was able to get a connection out of my university with obfuscation ("chameleon protocol") when regular OpenVPN connections were blocked.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:48:20 »
I use Windscribe - https://windscribe.com/

Free, 10GB a month limit, more than adequate for the little browsing I do.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline thad

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 06:58:07 »
I have been using Whatbox.ca  no issues so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 21:50:12 »
Been okay with PIA for several years also, but sometime's it's a victim of its own popularity and its exit IPs get blocked. VyprVPN (comes with Giganews Diamond subscription) is good for tunneling out of restrictive networks that use IPS to block OpenVPN. Was able to get a connection out of my university with obfuscation ("chameleon protocol") when regular OpenVPN connections were blocked.

I've certainly run into their blocked exit IPs. I'll have to look at obfuscating OpenVPN connections. Wondering if that can be done by my pfsense router.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 06:44:03 »
I don't currently use a VPN but I used to use ExpressVPN.
Have nothing but positive things to say about them. If I recall a bit on the expensive side but I felt like the customer service was great and quick.
I'll be checking out the ones you guys recommend here and compare pricings etc.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 17:49:50 »
Sorry, I can't tell you. It's private.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 18:14:54 »
nice try, NSA

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 07:43:49 »
A good one.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder

Offline Deephouse_jedi

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:14:14 »
I use PIA as well.

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:34:45 »
Also a longtime PIA user but I'm switching over to Nord because it seems like less of the IPs are blocked. I can't connect to craigslist on PIA most of the time but it works fine with Nord, for example. Great price with PIA though.

Offline Pewpew

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:54:50 »
Use Hola. Free and stable.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 23:30:57 »
vouch for PIA as well

Offline JianYang

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 04:32:02 »

Offline hilltopchill

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 10:11:40 »
I've been using NordVPN for the past couple of years, their prices are quite decent if you get a long term subscription when they're doing a sale. Easy to use interface, can also use it on my phone. Everything I need.

Offline feedbaack

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 11:29:54 »
I've been using NordVPN for the past couple of years, their prices are quite decent if you get a long term subscription when they're doing a sale. Easy to use interface, can also use it on my phone. Everything I need.

I agree, NordVPN is doing a great job  :thumb:

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 17:23:45 »
NordVPN does seem great, I had a trial of it a bit ago and was nice and fast. Outline from Alphabet's Project Jigsaw is neat and I've tested it a bit. It's powered by Shadowsocks (socks5 proxy) and is opensource. Anyone try it out yet? https://getoutline.org/en/home

TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline 89sec

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 22:18:59 »
I currently use Private Internet Access, but I have lately been considering switching over to NordVPN.

Offline barrel

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 10:58:20 »
NordVPN, PIA and My own OpenVPN Based one hosted at my house in the Netherlands.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 15:46:16 »
Sorry, I can't tell you. It's private.

nice try, NSA

A good one.

Yeah, what they said. Pretty much the same response I had for the router thread :)

Offline fracno

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 19:39:28 »
Currently using Express VPN and seeing as how I have little to no experience with other services, I can't tell if it's considered good or not, haha. I tried tunnel bear and I think I prefer this. Helpful to be able to use on all my devices.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 21:20:56 »
Currently using express and the speed seems to be good.
It is, however, more expensive than the other services by a significant margin so I am wondering if anything else compares.
All of the review sites I have checked list it as the fastest service but I wouldn't know by what margin.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline haanuman

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 03:49:42 »
I am using tunnelbear for a while now on my phone and pc as well. I know they give like limited usage but the speeds are never affected because of the VPN. Customer support is great as well. If you don't use much bandwidth then tunnelbear is great.

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 07:45:11 »
Currently using express and the speed seems to be good.
It is, however, more expensive than the other services by a significant margin so I am wondering if anything else compares.
All of the review sites I have checked list it as the fastest service but I wouldn't know by what margin.

i moved from express to nordvpn because of the cost and beside the chrome extension that is better on express I prefer nordVPN

Offline Lanx

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 18:35:19 »
ipvanish, no logs and full download speed from not so nice places

Offline WireStart

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 02:37:46 »
I use NordVPN: nice speeds and many servers to choose from. Also based in Panama and out of 14 eyes jurisdiction which is a must for a VPN IMO. As someone mentioned the price is good if you are after the sale, for example this gives you a nice 77% off discount. Maybe it will be of use to someone.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 16:34:58 »
Hello. I wanted to talk about one really obscure VPN called Surfshark VPN . . . (Surfshark hagiography and link to review snipped)
I'm impressed that a VPN reviewer/advertiser dug deep enough to find VPN threads on a keyboard forum.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 16:44:05 »
I'm impressed that a VPN reviewer/advertiser dug deep enough to find VPN threads on a keyboard forum.

Heh. I was also going to call out WireStart at the time but gave them the benefit of the doubt since I figured maybe they'd joined to give people a heads up on a discount and would engage otherwise with the community, but apparently not. They also registered on Reddit at the same time.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 10:39:21 »

Heh. I was also going to call out WireStart at the time but gave them the benefit of the doubt since I figured maybe they'd joined to give people a heads up on a discount and would engage otherwise with the community, but apparently not. They also registered on Reddit at the same time.

Talk about community outreach. Those google alerts must have a WIDE net.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 05:51:55 »
Still using Windscribe, and it is still working as advertised.  They even send out email notification when the monthly usage is reset.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nickhudson

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 07:21:27 »
I have been using PureVPN for 3 years, bought its 5 year deal on cyber monday.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 08:24:38 »
none

Offline Jackorias

• Jack, UK.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 10:49:55 »
I use PIA because I got it with HumbleBundle.

Works fine for what I use it for, and ~£15 for the year was too good to pass up. Might look into renewing it, or moving to NordVPN when the year is up.

Offline method_

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 03:58:24 »
Personally I highly advise Nord Vpn, it's pretty fast compared to other solutions.
thock program.

Offline Flame

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 08:27:22 »
I've used Private Internet Access and Windscribe for the last ~2 years. PIA is the best in my opinion because they truly abide to their "logless" policy. Windscribe is pretty solid too, but they do keep a record of how much data is transferred within that month (not where the data is coming from, etc. as far as I know).

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 06:00:08 »
Another vote for Nord. I got it a few months ago and it's worked great so far. I do forget to turn it off when I'm playing games and it slows down my PUBG loading a lot, but with everything else I have no issues.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Polard55

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 06:32:07 »
Personally, I am using purevpn, and it's working great for me, Specially I use it for streaming and it works great after the update with platforms like Netflix and btsports. I have bought its 5-year subscription in $119, also you can read about it more in this purevpn review or check out other platforms.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2018, 03:13:31 by Polard55 »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 03:24:03 »
Been using ExpressVPN for some time and it's the first VPN I've used so I don't have anything else to compare with. I lose connection often enough for it to be a hassle though and in addition to the price, I'm considering switching to Nord.

Offline kelvinpalmer

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 04:33:40 »
I purchased PureVPN because of its dedicated app over Linux after reading positive PureVPN user reviews over its website.

Offline patrickjburt

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 06:32:33 »
I've been using PureVPN for the better part of the year. I have 100/100 Internet and get about 50/50 with PureVPN.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 20:44:56 »
I've been using PureVPN for the better part of the year. I have 100/100 Internet and get about 50/50 with PureVPN.

That's a good point - to mention the speed you get through the VPN.

I only have ADSL2+ (not suffering under the NBN yet) and my speeds are usually about 10-20% slower through the VPN than a native connection.

Mine you, ADSL2+ is not exactly flooding the pipes :))

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 20:49:58 »
I have a lifetime subscription to Windscribe. It seems to work for what I use it for (torrenting). Speeds are pretty good and I think it has a good privacy rating.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 17:42:02 »
I had been using Perfect Privacy for years. Simply awesome.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 00:46:37 »
I’ve been using torguard for years with no issues. Bandwidth is fast and they have 50% promos all the time.

Offline John12Z

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:27:00 »
I used 3 VPNs in total. First ever was PureVPN. I even paid for that one. At one point it stopped working completely. It also never worked on Netflix and similar sites. I had to give up after 6 months using it despite paying for 1 year in advance (not very smart).
Then I switched to ExpressVPN and have been using that one too for around 6 months. I did not like their interface but it did seem to work just fine. Around June this year it started to have problems with Netflix too. Now I'm on NordVPN and it seems to be working just fine. I guess at some point all VPNs will be banned by sites such as Netflix. Here it's being claimed that Netflix will not be able to completely ban VPNs and it will always be a cat and mouse game. I do expect it to become worse in the future though, all they need to do is to create a region restricted website that requires region-specific payments for every country and then no VPN will help to unblock it. HBO already does this.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 10:32:54 »
I'm a little blown away by how many 'users' posted on this thread with 1 post, and still only have 1 post...

Hmmmm... did I accidentally stumble into the magic words to summon the vpn bots?

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 10:34:18 »
Beep.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:52:43 »
I'm a little blown away by how many 'users' posted on this thread with 1 post, and still only have 1 post...

Hmmmm... did I accidentally stumble into the magic words to summon the vpn bots?

It happens from time to time.

A little while back we had a bunch of new members join (maybe as many as a couple of dozen), each made one post in New Members, and never came back.

And all the posts said, in a slight variety of different ways, that they worked for a large chemical company and liked keyboards.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 11:34:02 »
Seems as though Firefox may or may not include some ProtonVPN integration in the near future. :cool: