Author Topic: [IC] Retro Poker Case  (Read 7740 times)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
[IC] Retro Poker Case
« on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:35:52 »
So, I am just checking if I am the only one who is interested in this, I can't and don't know how to run a group buy so if this for some crazy and awesome reason would take off, I wouldn't be the one running it.

As we all know, there is no shortage of poker and poker compatible aluminum cases hitting the market, although they are all pretty run of the mill. Usually just an aluminum tray to set a 60% board into. I think having something a bit different could be cool. I received a kishsaver yesterday and it got me thinking, how awesome would it be to have a slightly oversized, retro looking case for a poker? I mean the keyboard weighs 6.5 pounds, it is a tank, everyone loves a heavy keyboard, right? Something similar would be awesome, put some classic beige keycaps on it and it would tie the whole thing together.

For those who don't know what the kishsaver looks like, here is a picture.

It could look similar to that, I know we couldn't just make a 100% copy, but do something similar. It could come in off white and maybe an industrial grey color for those who love industrial model m's.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] Retro Poker Case
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:43:55 »
So something similar to this idea? Only smaller.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52128.0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:47:28 »
So something similar to this idea? Only smaller.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52128.0
Yes sir, except not plastic.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:51:26 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:59:24 »
I may be interested. However plastic molds cost a fortune, so it should be something machined out of any metal. But the design will define the cost and price.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 09:15:26 »
I may be interested. However plastic molds cost a fortune, so it should be something machined out of any metal. But the design will define the cost and price.
The plan is metal, I would hate for it to be plastic.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:29:20 »
not sure I want a big case for a compact keyboard, seems weird to me
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:53:43 »

You could always engineer it to use the big space for something else...maybe....

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:18:16 »
I like, me am in

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:36:53 »
Bigger means heavier, the whole back section that sticks above the top row of the keyboard could possibly be completely solid since there is nothing there anyway. Since the poker would just drop it it could be a single piece case, unless a two piece design would be cheaper. The only thing that needs added is a hole running out the back of it to accommodate for the usb cable, the only downside of that being that it would make it hard to swap usb cables all the time but that doesn't matter to me.

Tomorrow I will take some pictures of it next to a TKL board but I don't think its all that bad. It could always be slightly smaller each way, but it just looks right to me.

It does not need made out of 7075 aluminum though, that would be unnecessarily expensive. Also, from my understanding anything other than aluminum is going to cost more even if the actual material cost is less since aluminum is easier to work with.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:54:11 »
Style wise, I'd rather prefer this to the kishsaver
48331-0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 13:01:30 »
Something like that could work as well, maybe make the outer walls just a bit wider?  :rolleyes:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 13:18:52 »
I think it would be cool to make something like this:

and instead of the tape, put that area for touchscreen/trackpad and make the depth just big enough to fit in some smaller SBC motherboard for complete system.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 13:59:53 »
Show Image

and instead of the tape, put that area for touchscreen/trackpad and make the depth just big enough to fit in some smaller SBC motherboard for complete system.

Interesting idea. It would be a brand new and modern Sinclair QL equivalent.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:19:37 »
I am totally in, depending on price.  And I'd also be interested in any of the other two designs posted in the thread.  :)

Also, to accommodate the deep back end of the kishsaver design, perhaps there would be a way to engineer a little splice of cable that is secured on the far back of the case for another cable to plug into, and is then "loose" inside the tray with a little wiggle room to plug into the pcb as it's being inserted into the case.  Similar in my mind to how the wii guitar controllers worked, if you're familiar.  It seems like it might successfully allow for a cleaner removable cable solution.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:30:55 »
(Attachment Link)

100% with you, the windows key blockers would be top too

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:32:57 »
(Attachment Link)

100% with you, the windows key blockers would be top too

Good idea.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:43:46 »
just get a siig minitouch with white switches, remove the PCB cause who wants to type on that anyways, and throw your poker in the case.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33420.msg628783
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:06:39 »
just get a siig minitouch with white switches, remove the PCB cause who wants to type on that anyways, and throw your poker in the case.

One of the main points of this is for it to me metal and heavy, I already said plastic cases would ruin it.

Also, how exactly would that mini model m layout work on a poker?

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:46:08 »
It's going to cost much to do rounded corner design with metal, plus for that size, the cost will goes up higher. I think we could give 3D printing a try
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:01:29 »
Show Image

Well big metal case is not my taste but if we could do this, with an Apple trackpad in, I'm definitely in :p
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:33:59 »
One of the main points of this is for it to me metal and heavy, I already said plastic cases would ruin it.

Ah men.  Let's sing the chorus together,  heavy metal.....all the way  :thumb: .

Too much plastic here on Geekhack we need some real HEAVY metal casings.  It needs to weigh in at a minimum of 3kgs without the key-caps/pcb/switches.

Would love to see highly polished Stainless Steel being available for those that want an EPIC keyboard.  No one has done a Stainless Steel casing yet, hence you might be the absolute First individual to do it.  Let's blaze a trail for others to follow.........

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 08:21:55 »
I like it, but I am afraid it will get too expensive.

I follow this thread and see where this goes :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:04:03 »
Cost should be considered, it will make more people to get in and scale economy is always good.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:19:07 »
Cost should be considered, it will make more people to get in and scale economy is always good.

You may be right but consider "kishsaver" which originally wasn't that cheap when first released - but now has grown into LEGENDARY Status, for us here at GH and DT.

If HPE1000 wants to produce a case for the humble Poker pcb then let him.  So far there has never been a substantial casing released onto the market that mimics the Kishsaver hence his will be the first.  I suspect when he finally decides on the design it will be the cheapest to mill it out of aluminum, as it can be accurately made to similar specs of the original IBM shaped keyboard.

That alone will place his case into the unique field of BEST of Poker Section here on Geekhack (if there's such a section  ;) ).

Offline tobias

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 12:14:17 »
(Attachment Link)

It would be great to see a groupbuy for something like this...

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 21:14:19 »

i'm into retro anything, so even though i go mostly with the bigger boards i would be very interested in this :thumb:

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 21:30:33 »
It may be useful to define if we are discussing a replica or a retro style case. I am more inclined to consider a retro style that would make the poker looks retro but retaining its advantages in size and form. A replica will turn it into something like a mini saver or mini IBM with some loss of its characteristics.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 02:08:38 »
It may be useful to define if we are discussing a replica or a retro style case. I am more inclined to consider a retro style that would make the poker looks retro but retaining its advantages in size and form. A replica will turn it into something like a mini saver or mini IBM with some loss of its characteristics.

If he wants to convert it into an IBM keyboard then let him.  The ONLY advantage for us would be it uses all Cherry Switches instead of BS which is a plus due to massive customizations that can be done.

Would be unique a Poker style layout with an IBM retro look, plus when you use the R5 Graphite Key-set - it will be the HOTTEST looking poker ever made  :thumb: .

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 02:17:34 »
(Attachment Link)

This is a photoshopped image or someone's carefully executed mod?  I'd LOVE that tiny thing in buckling spring flavor.  Looks perfect.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 08:26:25 »

If he wants to convert it into an IBM keyboard then let him.  The ONLY advantage for us would be it uses all Cherry Switches instead of BS which is a plus due to massive customizations that can be done.

Would be unique a Poker style layout with an IBM retro look, plus when you use the R5 Graphite Key-set - it will be the HOTTEST looking poker ever made  :thumb: .

We can go either way. Just trying to clarify what we are talking about. And yeah an IBM retro look would be certainly awesome.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 12:27:01 »
Steel + chrome plating please :D

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 14:19:43 »
Show Image

I want this.  I could put a cherry sticker in place of the Ibm logo.  I wonder what kind of plastic was used in the original model Ms.  Or maybe there is a newer kind of plastic with the same look and feel but more resistant to yellowing. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2014, 14:21:45 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 14:26:18 »
(Attachment Link)

In my humble opinion, there is no better looking board. Imagine that, with a set of original Cherry DS, so nice, so so nice

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 15:09:28 »
It would be awesome, but once again, can a poker be configured to that layout for the bottom row?

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 15:20:07 »
I think so

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:17:07 »
You can't make a Poker proper winkeyless (at least not without unreasonable effort), but certainly can do that with GH60.

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:52:30 »
You could incorporate a cable similar to this into the case design to have an easy solution to the cable business. Other option could be a removable cover plate for a cable channel secured with screws or something.